• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handle bar risers, R1200RT.

moshaffer

I am going to put the Vario handle bar riser system from Wunderlich on my R1200RT and would like to hear from any of you that have all ready done so as far as any problems. Are there any problems with the existing lengths of cables hoses etc I should know about? Also, I have the Garmin GPS mounted now on the existing handle bar mounts , should I expect any problems there?

Being short, I installed all the Suburban Machinery aids for the RT: handle bars up and back, passenger pegs lowered, rider pegs lowered and an adjusted gear shift lever. The Garmin GPS is mounted to a GadgetGuy bar above the instrument shield.

I ordered my risers from Bob's BMW. They costed a bit more, but I bought the footpeg lowering kit from them at a real good price, and decided I would just go ahead and buy their risers. I think they have them built local. The surprise was that they are not only up and back, but a little out, or wider. I liked this, when I rode the bike in stock configuration I noticed the most comfortable position was with my hands rested on the bar ends most of the time. I like them, and quality is real good. If anyone wants their bars a little wider as well as up and back, this is a good buy!

leadfoot: which risers did you get from Bob's? I looked at their site and didn't see that they had any for the new RTs. ??

I too have found it comfortable resting my hands on the bar ends, and I'm looking to get the bars a tad closer to me.

leadfoot: which risers did you get from Bob's? I looked at their site and didn't see that they had any for the new RTs. ??

I too have found it comfortable resting my hands on the bar ends, and I'm looking to get the bars a tad closer to me.

Sorry, but I forgot that their site does not show the risers for the R12RT, only the 1150. If you click on the link below, this is what they told me to look at to get an idea of what I was getting. They are the bottom right set in the pic. Only exception is that they are offset to the outside also. I found this out when I called to order the footpeg lowering kit and inquired as to why they do not sell the risers for an R12. Guess they have not updated the website. While you can order online, I prefer to talk to a person, and I found the staff very personable, and they answered all my questions. Shipping was fast. I was accidently overcharged 5 dollars, called and they fixed it, and sent me a copy of the the credit to my card. I was very impressed, and will order from them again!

http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2635

I am going to go out to the shop and take a pic of the risers and try to post it for you.

Here is a shot of the bars. They measure .75 inches up, .5 inches back, and .75 inches out. That measurement is per bar, so total width is increased by 1.5 inches. They came with hardware and good instructions. I thoroughly like them, the additional cost was worth it.

Hope this pic is within the guidelines of the forum. My son helped me post it. Guess I will study the recommended ways to do this later this eve.

[

I took the measurements with a measuring tape, so they are appoximate, but real close. If you are looking for a little width these will help (I like them). I have not seen any others that will also increase the width. :type

They are a 10 minute bolt on, and the GPS mount is not a problem. All the cables and etc are no problem. Easy stuff......even I could do it. :laugh

RT bars adjustments

Being short, I installed all the Suburban Machinery aids for the RT: handle bars up and back, passenger pegs lowered, rider pegs lowered and an adjusted gear shift lever. The Garmin GPS is mounted to a GadgetGuy bar above the instrument shield.

Do you have a web site for the Suburban Machinery? I have a 2008 RT and would like the bars a little futher back. Did you also lower the seat. Thanks, Hugh
hugh@ghdinc.com

Back