• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My 1974 R90/6 never-ending project, with plenty of pics.

I think I read that you need/want a steering damper knob? I have a couple of the squarish (4 handles I think) that if you need, just let me know.... PM me.

:thumb

So, yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time trying to start it before it actually fired. Then, I rode it around quite a bit.

I pulled back in the shop and it was just weeping oil out of the valve cover.

20081230018.jpg

I figured; Dag nabbit. What does this mean?

But, while I let it stop dripping, I turned this:

20081230020.jpg

into...

oops. I forgot to take a pic of the finished product.

Earlier in the day, I had picked up a few parts from the local BMW dealer. I shelled out the big bucks for official BMW hose clamps.

20081230024.jpg

So I turned this:

20081230025.jpg

into this:

20081230027.jpg

It looks kinda goofy. I don't know why. My R75 has 11-rib boots, too.. and they're also fastened at the top of the slider. Oh well.

I figured since I was waiting on my paint to dry on my battery tray, I'd swap out my headlight rings. I swapped the old style one:

20081230028.jpg

for a spare new style one I had laying around.

20081230029.jpg

I then set to work on the last semi-major hurdle; the caliper rebuild. I ordered a rebuild kit before I took my old one apart. Well, after some polishing, my old piston still looks good.

20081230057.jpg

But, the new kit arrived. I inquired if I could return it, but they said it'd incur a 15% restocking fee. Well, I don't really want to have to pay $20 just for looking at it for a day, so I rebuilt it with the new piston.. and rubber seals.

The ring I mentioned a few posts ago was just part of the old seal, so I popped it out. The rubber piston seal I overlooked before, but I pulled it out, too.

20081230058.jpg

..and reassembled with all the proper parts.

20081230059.jpg

I re-installed:

20081230060.jpg

..and bled the brake:

20081230061.jpg

..and now we're in business.

So, I re-adjusted my valves since it was so hard to start earlier in the day.

20081230062.jpg

They needed it.. and in the process I discovered why it was leaking so bad on the right side. The washers go on the OUTSIDE of the valve cover, not the inside. :laugh I guess I reassembled it when I took it off last time and forgot to take the washers off the posts before installing the head gasket.

Now, it doesn't leak any more!

I'll be going for a ride on the streets today. It's 38 degrees out right now.

EDIT: They say the camera adds 10 pounds. Well, after looking over my post, it looks like my camera adds grease, rust, and scratches! Maybe I should down-grade my cameras. Haha.

P.S DOn't forget to check the oil, I bet it leaked quite a bit.

Actually, I didn't lose too much. Just on the bottom edge of the full line.

I've got good news and bad news.

Good news: I rode 19.4 miles today. Ran like a top. Just pulled me right along.. especially after I burnt off the old gas and filled up with premium.

I pulled it out for an updated shot, because it probably won't look much different than this for a while. Well, the tires, battery, and seat will probably change, but you get the idea.

20090101003.jpg

I knew I had to adjust the front brake, because it was more of a "slow suggestion lever" than a brake lever. So, after the ride, I shut the bike off and removed the tank for an adjustment. I bent down and and saw the bad news:

20090101010.jpg

Now how the hell does that happen? It was cool to the touch.. and nothing was rubbing. When I aligned the rotor last night, I made sure everything was lined up properly and nothing was rubbing or hanging up. I distinctly remember hearing a "tink tink" as I was riding, so I guess that explains the sound. Anyone seen this before?

Now I've gotta 1) find out why it happened, and 2) find a new (used) rotor.

Arg! I'm bummed.. and broke.

Facinating Thread

I am soooo hooked on this thread. Soon I'll get to start a not-so-involved restore of my R75. This is really great to watch the changes.....and I love the from this to this pics....Thanks for sharing. :thumb

As a side note, I used to have one of those Daytona fairings....at the time they were kinda cool....:blush

Now how the hell does that happen? It was cool to the touch.. and nothing was rubbing. When I aligned the rotor last night, I made sure everything was lined up properly and nothing was rubbing or hanging up. I distinctly remember hearing a "tink tink" as I was riding, so I guess that explains the sound. Anyone seen this before?

Now I've gotta 1) find out why it happened, and 2) find a new (used) rotor.

Arg! I'm bummed.. and broke.

Nathan, I had a similar notch on my rotors. Maybe something was left on the old pad(s)? Did you scuff them up? My guess was that it was the spot where the pads were when it was set to rest (and die).It didn't warp the rotors, but seemed to leave a little something behind where the rest of the rotor area was exposed completely. My calipers are Brembos and don't have any real adjustment, but I seem to recall yours do from my old 90/6. :dunno

Another thing that I had to double check was the recess where the rubber piston ring goes. I used an angled mirror to look ultra close for corrosion and found a lot. Even though the piston would seat it was really tight until I cleaned all that up.

You could try one of those brake rotor/drum scuffing tools to get you by for a litttle while. Not sure I'd rely on that for too long on such a critical part. Ya got the beast to "go" reliably, now ya gotta get it to stop reliably.

Cracked?

Looks like the rotor has a couple of cracks.
Look at the top of the rotor.

I am probably going to buy an EBC rotor to put on mine. They aren't too expensive and the /6's especially with single discs need all the help they can get.

Is that a notch or are those cracks that go all the way through the disk? It is kinda hard to tell from the picture.

edit: oops, I went into the basement to look at the /7 disk and PMonk has already mentioned this.

Are EBC rotors inexpensive? Or are they a worthy investment? I thought that they are about $200 each. I have that on my list of purchases to replace all three on the RS.

Last edited:
Cracked.

I looked back at all my pics of my front end for signs of any other cracks on the rotor. All I can see is 1 faint line, as evidenced by the 3rd to last pic on post #64 of this thread. Previously, I couldn't really see it with my eye. So, maybe the flash of the camera picked it up.

But, upon inspection yesterday and like shown in the picture, there were probably 6 cracks spanning from the outside edge almost to the inside edge of the rotor.

I'm bummed about that because, well, it's another hurdle. Unless someone wants to donate one? :violin

On the other hand, I am super excited about the rest of the bike because it was powerful and fun. 2 notes, though;
1) I gotta tighten the mirrors. They'd blow back parallel with the wind upon quick acceleration.
2) Nothing's better than worn out rear shocks to remind one how fat they are. Everything was jigglin'. I even discovered some new fat in my back that snuck up on me. :laugh

Sorry to hear about the rotor. If you end up buying a new rotor, try Motobins. Motobins sells Grimeca replacement rotors that were a lot cheaper than stock, and unlike EBC rotors, come with the carriers. I've heard those rivets can be a PITA to drill out.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?function=show&subs=104&title=GRIMECA+BRAKE+DISCS

Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't really want to have to rivet them.

According to google, "77 British pounds = 111.5499 U.S. dollars." That's not too bad! Looks like I'll have to save up, though.

Or.. maybe steal the front wheel off my R75. Arg! No, I couldn't do that.

and unlike EBC rotors, come with the carriers. I've heard those rivets can be a PITA to drill out.

:dunno
?
I think that the EBC just bolts on.
I have had good report about them, they wear less because they are drilled/slotted properly, they are "floating" to compensate for heat growth, ...
they look cool

Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
1) I gotta tighten the mirrors. They'd blow back parallel with the wind upon quick acceleration.

Yeah, I laughed when I heard that one, too!! If that is your biggest problem then stop whining here!:laugh

Back