• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Driving lights

lorazepam said:
I plan on installing fairing mounted driving lights to my bike. I was wondering if anyone has used the high beam to trigger a relay for long range driving lights.

Sure, this is exactly how BMW did it the couple times they've offered auxiliary light kits.

I makes most sense, i.e. when would you ever not need your aux lights and still need headlight high beam?

The argument regarding meeting oncoming traffic is senseless.

I use the driving lights during the day, and not my high beam. I feel it is overkill in the day to use the high beam.

Hey Loraz,Your installation looks nice !
speaking of lights....I have some HyperLites (LED warning lights) on my bike and they have stopped working.
(Taillight works) I took the tail light lens off and checked for loose wires ....Is there any relay,(or such) that can go bad?
any suggestions ??

Thanks ,
John

PS .. You going to the Hoosier Rally in Vernon ?? :)

I wonder if the flasher for the strobe has stopped working? I havent really looked at the hyperlights, but I imagine that if all connections are good, that my be the problem. I would guess they have a solid state strobe mechanism, and that would be difficult to replace without replacing everything. I am in the process of buying a house, and relocating. I dont know if I will have time to attend the hoosier rally or not. It is definately a great time, a rally that everyone should attend.

motofranz said:
Hey Loraz,Your installation looks nice !
speaking of lights....I have some HyperLites (LED warning lights) on my bike and they have stopped working.
(Taillight works) I took the tail light lens off and checked for loose wires ....Is there any relay,(or such) that can go bad?
any suggestions ??

Thanks ,
John

PS .. You going to the Hoosier Rally in Vernon ?? :)

It is not uncomon for the Led bundle to quit. I have a friend who has had to replace his twice, on on each side, in 36K miles.

Jim:brow

Light

I checked them out at the Dells rally and the installation looked good. have you considered using the euroswitch that operates off the turn signal cancel button?

When is the Vernon, IN rally. I'm in the Keys right now and don't have access to my my magazine.

I have them set up as Jeff Dean suggested, and I already have a hole in the plastic for the switch. I am in economy mode til the house is taken care of, and I really dont need to change anything. I am happy as is.

Hi everyone. I just thought I would show you some pictures of my current lighting set-up on my R1100RS. Might be overkill, but I can see at night now! :D

New-lights-001-main.jpg

Stock Main light only!

New-lights-002-main-upper.jpg

Main and Upper Driving Lights!

New-lights-003-main-lower.jpg

Main and Lower Lights!

New-lights-004all-main.jpg

All with Low Beam!

New-lights-005all-main-high.jpg

All with High Beam!

New-lights-011a.jpg

New-lights-013a.jpg

New MotoLights!

I believe there is little more I can do to make myself conspicuous! :D

From the rear I have Hyper Lights and Reflective Tape on my Side Cases.

Jim :brow

JimVonBaden said:
New MotoLights!

I believe there is little more I can do to make myself conspicuous! :D

Jim :brow

Try some screamin eagles pipes and bright orange ears.:clap

dzimbric said:
Try some screamin eagles pipes and bright orange ears.:clap

Actually I am about to install a Laser Race exhaust! :bliss Though it may be a bit too loud. BradfordBen apparently got the last set of Orange Ears.

Jim:brow :D

Orange EArs

Nope
I saw someone sportin a pair at the Dells rally :rocker :drink :evil

I don't want to miss out on any opportunities to show off my PIAA 1100X Lights which are like laser beams. I have been told that any auxillary light mounted above the headlight(s) is "illegal" but I get inspected every year no problem and it's not been an issue with law enforcement at all so far (4 years). I like this setup because the lights have a lot of separation and are very visible and they are functional beyond belief. They have all but eliminated left turn jammers.

These are mounted on EMP Designs Mirror Mount Brackets that use the existing mirror mount bolts and require NO DRILLING. They are awfully bright and you can't run them at night when in traffic, but highway use is ok as long as everyone has on sunglasses. I have them for conspicuity, not lighting, but find that they do both functions well!
PIAA_Lights.jpg

Hey thanks Foobeemer, I like it a lot and cant wait to hit 1 digits on the odometer. This bike is a keeper as far as I am concerned.

Jim, I like the motolights in conjunction with the driving lights. It is awesome how visible you are during the day, and how well it lights up the whole road from my tires out to the end of the high beam.
I do like having the round lights as driving lights. It allows me to turn the bulb assembly and get a flatter beam on the road.

I like your setup, it almost identical to mine, and I know you have to see so much better.

lorazepam said:
Hey thanks Foobeemer, I like it a lot and cant wait to hit 1 digits on the odometer. This bike is a keeper as far as I am concerned.

Jim, I like the motolights in conjunction with the driving lights. It is awesome how visible you are during the day, and how well it lights up the whole road from my tires out to the end of the high beam.
I do like having the round lights as driving lights. It allows me to turn the bulb assembly and get a flatter beam on the road.

I like your setup, it almost identical to mine, and I know you have to see so much better.

It sure makes all the difference in night riding!

You gave me the idea to mount my lights on the fairing a while back! Thanks!:clap

Jim:brow

2 Sets of Fog/Auxillary Light Wiring Question

Even after 9 years, this thread is about to come alive again!

On my '04 RT, I have PIAA 1100's wiried to my right side / grey cancelling switch.

I'd like to add a second set of fog/auxillary lights to my Hawk/Combo Highway Peg Rests.

So, if I purchase these from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ROUND-UNI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item589ee8d60c&vxp=mtr

... How does one wire these to their bike? ? ?

Can I split the powered wires off of my PIAA 1100's, and keep them all on the same grey cancelling switch?

Or, should I find a 12 V keyed source, and power it that way. Then, I'd have to find a place to mount another light switch on my dash board or handlebars.

Thanks for the original posting gentlemen!

Jim

+1 on the Autoswitch, used that device to control Hella FF-50's on two Beemers, nice handy solution!

Cheers!

Here's a pretty good thread from last year about Autoswitch for driving lights or fog lights, triggered by the hi beam:

forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?59181-PIAA-light-switch

Any more lights and I'll look like a Walmart parking lot security patrol "flasher" :laugh

just curious, but is there a term that can be used after "overkill" has been passed in a no passing zone?

I think you have successfully cancelled out the likelihood of "but Officer, I didn't see the motorcycle" as any variety of defense for the left turning cager.

Back