• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

lightweight camping gear

Go to your local REI, EMS, or equivalent. Avoid the cheap crap at Wally-World and other discount retailers. High quality = low weight = high prices = durability. If it's designed to be back-packed, you can be sure it's light weight. Go with name brands like MSR, Mountain Hardware, The North Face, REI's house brand, Big Agnes, Black Diamond, etc.

Do you want to spend $100 each year for a new Wal-Mart tent, or do you want to spend $200 for a tent that lasts a decade or more?

I never understand why people don't factor replacements cost into their decision matrix when buying cheap crap at Wally-World or equivalent. I do a lot of camping at music festivals, and I see people who fly into town for the event, hit Wal-Mart for some gear on their way to the show, and then spend the long weekend watching their cheap stuff disintegrate over just a couple of days.

+100000000000000

In 1995, we spent about $300, an exorbitant sum at the time, on our first Mtn. Hardwear tent. We still have it and have probably spent a couple hundred nights in it. I've only gotten wet in it one time and that was because I set up in a low spot, not because the tent leaked.

It's a 4 season expedition tent and it weighs a bit more than our newer Haven, but when the weather is cold and expected to be miserable, I know I can rely on it to keep us warm and dry. Having a nice vestibule with a window that I can cook in is a huge bonus, as well. There's nothing like waking up, making breakfast and sitting in our sleeping bags for a while enjoying the morning while it's cold or crummy outside.

We coughed up the big money (well, kind of big) for Big Agnes bags and pads a few years ago. Even camping in 15F, I've yet to be anything close to cold in it.

You have three prime objectives when camping; staying warm, dry and well fed. I'm happy to make sure all of those are most easily and efficiently met by starting with great gear. I've suffered through interminable nights, shivering in my damp sleeping bag because of cruddy gear. There's nothing longer than a night like that and going through one of those nights will remove any flinch when you buy the good stuff.

you may want to look at some Exped gear and Nemo tents. Light weight and comfy to use, while offering excellent value. I like the Exped matress better than the Thermarest, as it is lighter and warmer while packing quite a bit smaller. IMHO Mountain Hardwear is no longer what it once was. I had a tent from them and it fell apart after 2 seasons. I had send it in for repair and they never did anything :banghead so it fell apart on my trip last year to AK.
You get what you pay for.... Look at www.moontrail.com for info on gear as they have plenty of photos of the tents they sell. No affiliation etc..

I bought 2 Exped mattresses for our trip to the MOA Rally this year. Take as much space as one Therma-rest and provides twice as much comfort. Plus has the pump built in. Made my wifes first camping experience a good one.
I can also recommend the Hoodoo3 from REI. Packs small.

I was getting to buya Big Alice 3.5" air mattress. It packs way smaller than my Thermarest and is thicker. Do you know how the Exped compares to the Big Alice?

Back