Thread: Winter Storage

Winter Storage

I live in the central part of Wisconsin. With winter coming on very quickly here, I wonder what I should do to properly store my R1200R? Should I use fogging oil on the cylinders? Is it enough to set the bike on the centerstand or should I also raise the front wheel ( off ground). Any other good tips. The bike will be inside a garage. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by dachstom View Post
    I live in the central part of Wisconsin. With winter coming on very quickly here, I wonder what I should do to properly store my R1200R? Should I use fogging oil on the cylinders? Is it enough to set the bike on the centerstand or should I also raise the front wheel ( off ground). Any other good tips. The bike will be inside a garage. Thanks for any help.
    I live in ILLINOIS, so I just keep riding them. If the weather is 40 or above, I ride. Some years there are not many days, but other years there are several.

If you insist on decommissioning your BMW; change the oil and have clean oil in it sitting. I makes sense to place it on a plastic matt (stair or hallway matts work good). That will help reduce moisture from comming up out of the cement floor. The center stand takes most pressure off the tires, the tires touching the floor won't hurt. Use a battery tender to keep the battery up and a little warm. Cover the cycle with a light cover. WalMart has them for less than $20.00.

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar

Storage

If you don't drain the gas from the tank then add some stabil or seafoam gas treatment and run the engine for a few minutes to get the treated fuel all the way through the system. Make sure the gas tank is full to prevent condensation. An old bed sheet makes for a good cover too. If you have mice 'visit' you may want to sprinkle a few moth balls around the bike or pick up one of those ultrasonic pest repellent devices.

Myself, I'm with RJM2096, I live in southeast Wisconsin. I try to get out and ride as long as the roads are ice/snow free. Looking forward to competing in the Bavarian Black Ice contest!
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    14 R1200GS
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"

ya know, Google is just wonderful!!
    here's what i got when i googled "motorcycle winter storage"...
    http://www.google.com/search?q=stori...e=utf8&oe=utf8

pick your favorite! a BMW is not much different than any other 2 wheeled beast, at least not in this regard.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots