• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Prescription eye glasses vs. contacts

The wife was trying a system whereby you wear only one contact for near sightedness. Apparently the brain gets used to this and so one eye is good for long & one for short distances. Sounds kinda screwey but apparently it works well for many.

contacts

amiles:

There are quite a few people who do this, actually: one eye for distance, one for close up.

Rinty

Contact Lens Use for Bikers and Other Potential Users As Well

Many good points are made in this thread. Their diversity reminds me a lot of discussions on the forum site about the most comfortable seat, the best performing tire, the most protective oil, the best beer ..... etc. If we were all the same and of like mind, we would be a boring lot indeed.

So many factors (which are unique to each individual) influence success or failure of contact lenses wear. Some of them include:

Corneal sensitivity and contour
Eyelid contour, function and health
Normal/Deficient tear production and function
Potential lens-related allergic reactions
Nature of refractive condition to be corrected with the lenses and the lens type
used/required
Motivation to use and to properly care for contact lenses

Having fit contact lenses for some 32 years in my ophthalmology practice, I would estimate that 90+% of prepresbyopic (no near vision problems) persons are able to satisfactorily wear lenses. This drops to 60-70% in the presbyopic age range. And yes, there is a higher corneal infection/ulcer rate with extended (continuous) wear. The decision for such needs to be tempered by personal need and accompanied by scrupulous lid hygiene and appropriate lens replacement.

I am one of those unfortunates who is uncomfortable with any contact lens style. It would be more convenient to deal with a helmet without glasses but have found that the use of a Slik headliner makes putting a full face articulated helmet on pretty easy. Keeping the helmet in the garage so it is cool in the morning also makes fogging less of a problem. The Nolan helmet has very good air movement as well, although occasionally it helps to crack it open a bit.

EyeBiker :wave

'05 R1150 RT (sold)
'07 R1200RT

Try Cat Crap, an anti fogging solution. It's available in ski shops everywhere.

RainX used to make some stuff called FogX that worked pretty well, too.

Try Cat Crap, an anti fogging solution. It's available in ski shops everywhere.

RainX used to make some stuff called FogX that worked pretty well, too.

Fog Tech is easier and works better on prescription glasses than Cat Crap. It's easier because it's a liquid and a drop on the lens spread with a finger dries instantly. CC need buffing after application.

I use Fog Tech every day when temps are down.

Try Lasik ?

I know it's not the answer your looking for but have you considered Lasik surgery? I wore glasses over 40 yrs. and never without them could see the largest letter on a eye exam. Two years ago my wife talked me into having Lasik surg. I was just speechless! Had this done on a Fri., the next day drove myself to the eye doctor was tested and had 20/20 vision.
As far as I'm concerned it has made my riding that much safer.

Thanks for all the responses.

I went to the eye doctor today and things did not turn out as planned. I have such small eyes, he was not able to put the contacts in my eyes. He said he has never had this problem before with anyone. He said they could custom make contacts to fit my eyeballs but they are hard type of lens and could possibly bother me especially if I am not use to wearing contacts. He said that I could try it and see what happens. If it did not work, I could get my money back.

I opted out on the contacts after all the trouble he was having. It is probably for the best. I have stigmatism. I am also legally blind in one eye. He was only wanting me to wear the contact in one eye because my other eye useless. I did not like that idea either.

No one has talked to me about surgery for my eyes... I am not sure if that would be something I would want to do.

Right now, glasses it is. At least I now know contacts will never work for me.

One last thought. I wore contacts for 25+ years. Except for my eyes drying out with extended wear, they were OK. But on a bike, they would dry out fast.

Now that I'm retired, I stopped wearing contacts and stay with my glasses. I did have a pair of prescription sunglasses made though. With the slightly oversize lenses, they protect my eyes when the visor is up (which was really handy during a recent close encounter with a pair of bee's). I carry my regular glasses (with the transition lenses) and swap them for the sunglasses as needed.

:thumb

I know it's not the answer your looking for but have you considered Lasik surgery? I wore glasses over 40 yrs. and never without them could see the largest letter on a eye exam. Two years ago my wife talked me into having Lasik surg. I was just speechless! Had this done on a Fri., the next day drove myself to the eye doctor was tested and had 20/20 vision.
As far as I'm concerned it has made my riding that much safer.
+1 on the Safety aspect
Contacts for 25 years, then lasik 4 years ago.
20/20 in both eyes (eye exam last weeK)
Absolutely thrilled with my decision although I know this procedure is not for everyone.
One has to get used to the reading glasses though (I am 51)
My solution for the helmet is below.
Makes reading the Zumo a pleasure

Attachments

• Helmet mod.jpg
    Helmet mod.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 541
glasses

Very cool job of engineering there!

That having been said, i'm thinking seriously of having the surgery as I have been a "4-eyes" since age 11 and it's getting so that a proper pair of glasses is close to the price of the surgery

After nearly 30 years with glasses, I got LASIK.

I never could get used to contacts. The best luck I ever had was with semi-hard lenses (which these days are considered hard). I never could get used to the high maintenance of soft lenses. What as PITA. So, after my mid-20s I gave up and wore glasses. They fogged a bit on the motorcycle, but I just kept my screen a bit open.

These days I'm prescription free. I had LASIK done in November of 1997 and so far so good. My eyes have gotten a tiny bit more near sighted in the last few years, but I'm still okay for keeping that dreaded "needs prescription lenses" mark off my license!

If you're eligible as a LASIK candidate I highly recommend it. Its a life changer. I had coke-bottle thick lenses from the time I was eight years old and was truly helpless without them. My vision was literally off the old fashioned 20/20 scale because I couldn't see the top line. Without my glasses I simply couldn't function. I'm now corrected to around 20/30 to 20/35 (if you use that old scale) with far less astigmatism. BTW, in most states 20/40 passes for your driver's license. Its such a joy to go swimming, walk in the rain, exercise, etc...., without glasses.

Walmart sells prescription glasses for motorcycle riding. They have the foam around the inside. I have had them for about a year now and they're great. Oh and the best pert is they were about $130 with polarized prescription lenses.

Brian

Back