• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS Brake Failure Warning Light

P

professor

About three months ago, the brake failure warning light did not go out like it usually does. After about a 70 mile ride, it was still on. I shut the bike down, had breakfast, fired it up again and it was back to normal - flashed when the bike started up, but went out as soon as I started rolling.

Yesterday same thing except it isn't going away. I've stopped, shut down, re-started, etc. several times and it just stays on - not flashing and no general warning - just the brake failure warning light on steady. I'm not sure whether the ABS is working or not so it may be just the light that's malfunctioning or maybe the ABS.

A search didn't get me any good answers. Should I take it to the dealer or is there something I can do myself.

Thanks.

Servo brakes? If so check the fluid level in the under-tank reservoirs. I think that can generate an error.

// marc

Since it's under warranty - and has now failed non-intermittently, it would seem a job for a dealer. If it was me - I'd assume the ABS is NOT working, and ride accordingly.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the battery was disconnected for a few minutes during installation of an air horn - which works perfectly.

I was wondering if the computer needs re-setting after the battery has been disconnected. Could that result in the ABS warning?

Thanks again.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the battery was disconnected for a few minutes during installation of an air horn - which works perfectly.

I was wondering if the computer needs re-setting after the battery has been disconnected. Could that result in the ABS warning?

Thanks again.
Short answer - no. Take it to the dealer and have them sort it out. Brakes are a rather important safety feature.. you at a minimum need to determine if it's just the ABS, or something else with the brake circuits.

Thanks. The brakes are working fine, but you are correct - it's nothing to mess around with. I'll take it to the dealer.

One thing I noticed this morning is that usually after the computer goes through its start-up checks, the Brake Failure light flashes until you start out. Now in never flashes. It just comes on and stays on.

I'll let you know what the dealer says. I'll probably get it in there on Wednesday.

I had the "brake failure" light issue a little over a year ago on my R12R (w/ about 1500 total miles). It was a bad ABS pump. Good for a couple of days in the shop. Hopefully, your problem is simpler.

Jim

I had the same thing happen to my '07 RT earlier this summer. My battery was dead and after I charged it the "Brake Failure" light stayed on. Also my tail brake light stayed on steady. Took it to the dealer and the ABS pump computer had a fault that made it think that front brake was applied, even though it wasn't. After a new battery and a couple of resets and re-installing the software didn't fix the problem, they replaced the ABS pump, and it has been fine for the last 6000 miles.
It took my dealer a few days of trying to find the cure and another week to get the pump, so I my bike was down for almost two weeks.

GS simple solution...

About three months ago, the brake failure warning light did not go out like it usually does. After about a 70 mile ride, it was still on. I shut the bike down, had breakfast, fired it up again and it was back to normal - flashed when the bike started up, but went out as soon as I started rolling.

Yesterday same thing except it isn't going away. I've stopped, shut down, re-started, etc. several times and it just stays on - not flashing and no general warning - just the brake failure warning light on steady. I'm not sure whether the ABS is working or not so it may be just the light that's malfunctioning or maybe the ABS.

A search didn't get me any good answers. Should I take it to the dealer or is there something I can do myself.

Thanks.

If this is a GS, check that your brush guards are not rubbing up against the brake handle. This will cause a fault, and rapid blinking failure light.

The mystery has been solved.

While installing an air horn, the connector from the front wheel ABS sensor inadvertantly got disconnected and we just didn't see it. When putting the fuel tank back on, the wire got tucked underneath it. After removing all the tupperware for access, the dealer mechanic (technician, wrench, or whatever the correct term is) spotted the wire and was able to get it out without removing the tank. Once it was reconnected, things were back to normal.

Thank goodness for the intellegent CANBUS system that told me something was wrong or I would have never known the ABS wasn't working until I might have needed it.

And thank goodness for the intellegent, knowledgeable mechanic who found the source of the problem rather quickly.

Back