• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tweety1's F800 woes

But serious convincing is going to have to be forthcoming for me to move that the BMW vertical twins have soul...............

Don't think anyone is trying.

I asked on another board if they belonged to MOA. If not, why not.

"The MOA always seemed somewhat elitist too."

"Always thought they were sort of snobbish too."

Isn't it interesting what others think of us?

I guess we need to clarify "soul"..........A 1953 MG has gobs of "soul", but lets face it, it ain't no reliable long distance touring machine. A 1970 vintage Porsche has tons of "soul", but you better know how to work on them or be independently wealth.

A five foot handled shovel has zero soul. It's just a tool. It gets the job done...period.

I look at certain motorcycles like look at that shovel............Honda VFR, V Strom, Many Japanese cruisers, K75, K1200RS...........Amazing "machines", but a bit low on the "soul" quotient..........

Nortons, Airheads, Early Triumphs, Moto Guzzis, Agusta.......now we are talking soul.

But then again...Soul to one, might be a tool to others.........Most folks first motorcycle, no matter year or brand had a certain amount of soul............

But serious convincing is going to have to be forthcoming for me to move that the BMW vertical twins have soul...............And God help them if they turn out to be unreliable.......Hopefully it's just teething pains..............Because at what the fatherland is charging for them, compared to V Stroms, Versys, Tiger etc, they better turn out to be rock solid reliable.

Roy - I know where you are coming from and don't disagree - but I do have to say that this is a curious place for this to come up.

Here we are in the midst of a thread related to a possibly terminal maintenance issue on a nearly new bike, talking about the virtues of "soul" on such stalwarts as early British bikes, MGs, and '70s vintage Porches.

Since I traded my R90/6 on my K75 in 1986 I haven't wanted anything to do with that kind of "soul."

Last edited:
Roy - I know where you are coming from and don't disagree - but I do have to say that this is a curious place for this to come up.

Here we are in the midst of a thread related to a possibly terminal maintenance issue on a nearly new bike, talking about the virtues of "soul" on such stalwarts as early British bikes, MGs, and '70s vintage Porches.

Since I traded my R90/6 on my K75 in 1986 I haven't wanted anything to do with that kind of "soul."

Hijack

Sing along, you know the tune.

Paul's a soul man.

Paul's a soul man. :dance

Hijack off.

It is official as of today, BMW NA is buying back my F800S per AZ lemon law. :deal

On to the next, and I may have found such. :stick All I'll say on that now is it is NOT an ST.

BUT no further word on that until its done, and since 10/13-10/19 I am going to the BMW Motorrad Rally in Mexico (on a rental F650GS THUMPER) it won't/can't happen until after that. :bottle

It is goodbye to the F-twins thread, though. :bolt

I don't know whether to applaud :clap or cry :cry.
Not another S for you either?
Glad you got a solution anyway.
Send me your farkles! :laugh
I shall stay on and hold the fort.

I don't know whether to applaud :clap or cry :cry.
Not another S for you either?
Glad you got a solution anyway.
Send me your farkles! :laugh
I shall stay on and hold the fort.

So far, LED tail light (real bright) with white tail light lens to show off LED tail light best, is the only F800S specific farkle I have in hand. For sale in package @ 1/2 price, $75 + shipping. I am keeping my Crampbuster, Marsee tank bags, RKA tank and saddle bags (so far), and Battery Tender.

Skidmarx DB (gorgeous and functional) and Kaoko Throttle Control (so much better than the other one my dealership GM was convinced as I showed him what I wanted to remove to sell-off, and he volunteered to do it all, while I went away to the BMW Motorrad Mexico Rally), fuse block, Battery Tender lead and Horning mirror extenders all made available by dealer when I come back from Mexico Rally. I leave Monday, gone until 5/19. Bike sell off is scheduled for Wednesday 5/22. I'll have the rest of the parts by then.

Did I mention BMW also includes BMW parts or parts installed by dealer in the deal, so my yellow seat tail cover and the BMW zumo is being cashed out with the bike?

Last edited:
Sell?! Where's the love? :ha :stick
Is the rear lamp assembly identical on the S/ST?

Folks on the f800riders forum are waiting for me to list these parts, and some are PM'ing already for available and unavailable parts (like the seat cover and others). So I shouldn't profit off what BMW won't reimburse?

Yes, the rear lamp is identical on the S/ST for 07 and 08, the EU 09 come with LED tail lights. Mine is a Moto Electrik Beacon unit. It is beautiful and the white lens shows the difference between the bright day use, and the super bright brake use better than the red lens. If you have the white turn signal lenses, the threesome look very good together. See picture on the photo thread, page 6, #87 all flashed lit up.

Last edited:
And I do. Hmmmmmm.:brow

Forgot to mention, remove two screws and hold on to them. Unplug bulb, plug in LED bank into same bulb receptacle. Place screw through lens, and guide on side of LED bank, do same with opposite side, screw in both screws. Switch key on and tap on rear brake pedal, and if in closed garage with door behind tail (as mine was) light up entire garage door in red.

Forgot to mention, remove two screws and hold on to them. Unplug bulb, plug in LED bank into same bulb receptacle. Place screw through lens, and guide on side of LED bank, do same with opposite side, screw in both screws. Switch key on and tap on rear brake pedal, and if in closed garage with door behind tail (as mine was) light up entire garage door in red.

Still here, with new forum name since my Tweety Bird is going, going, gone. No longer 1 with Tweety, so no longer Tweety1. Still the same me.

Az-j

I'm up in Payson this week. Talk about amazing roads to ride. Been here before but I never saw the roads from a riders point of view but now that I have my own bike I see it. I would definitely need more experience to handle all the twisties. Except for the multitude of HD's up here, it would be a really nice ride if they allow beemers on the roads!

I'm up in Payson this week. Talk about amazing roads to ride. Been here before but I never saw the roads from a riders point of view but now that I have my own bike I see it. I would definitely need more experience to handle all the twisties. Except for the multitude of HD's up here, it would be a really nice ride if they allow beemers on the roads!

Just came back from a motorcycling adventure in Mexico, the Motorrad Mexico Rally. Nice twisties riding on a rental bike, from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta (estimated 600+ bikes).
I also rode from PV airport to San Blas for an overnight first, from there to Tapalpa for an overnight, and on to two days of Rally festivities in GDL before the 2 final days in PV.

Blasted! :bluduh

Those Payson roads BTW are great, but AZ 191 is better.

Back