• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1986 K75c, Columbia Silver

R

ROBFRITZ

My 86 K75C with 45,000 miles was knocked off its centerstand. The fairing and the tail fin can be repaired but will need painting.I might as well paint the whole bike since the repairs will not match. I would like to paint the body Marekesh red.
I would also like to paint most of the frame that is exposed while the body parts are off, and possibly the forks. Any advise?

My 86 K75C with 45,000 miles was knocked off its centerstand. The fairing and the tail fin can be repaired but will need painting.I might as well paint the whole bike since the repairs will not match. I would like to paint the body Marekesh red.
I would also like to paint most of the frame that is exposed while the body parts are off, and possibly the forks. Any advise?

Find a good painter and get as close to as realistic a time frame as humanly possible.

Painters think in geologic time.

K75 Paint

First, sorry to hear about your bike falling down! I was mad at myself for scratching my tank while using a hand pump to drain the gas to change the fuel filter.

I'd take the body parts to someone who is a really good with auto paint - I just had '71 Honda painted to original gold and the guy used great paint and did a fantastic job.

Here is a copy from a thread I read about M/C paint:

Touch Up Paint:
have tried every where with no luck to get paint to match my grey RT. I finally went to an automotive paint store. ( PPG is very good paint ) they have a little device that they can carry out to the parking lot and it reads your paint so they can get an exact match. its not cheap, I paid $ 284.00 for a quart of paint to paint my trailer to match the bike. perfect match, looks great!!! now please understand this was for my red Harley. the Harley codes are real expensive compared to others. hope this helps.

http://www.colorrite.com/department/bmw-10016.cfm

If you really want to do it right you'd take everything off the frame and have it sandblasted and powdercoated - not super expensive but you'll have to strip the bike down to the bone.

I guess your accident may open the door to getting your bike looking how you really want it to - one door closes and another one opens.

I wish you good success in deciding how you want to proceed.

Cheers,

Ken in MN:bikes

Back