• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Plugger gets a D-

Got a question about gummy worms. I have always been told that the brown worms are better than the black ones. Is this the general consensus?

Some of you know Voni.

The tire plugs she carries in her R1100RS are RED rubber plugs.

Are these the "best" ?

I don't know, and she doesn't care. :dance

I have tried the Stop n Go and ended up wasting more than 1 plug and my time doing it. I only carry the 'sticky rope' with T handle insertion and reamer tools. They have never failed me or any others I have fixed the holes for. The last time I used one was just north of Quebec City on the side of the highway. Fixed and on the way in less than 15 minutes. The hardest part was finding the staple that made the very slow leak. I use a modified 12v compressor (all the plastic thrown away along with the gage too) rewired to fit the aux plug on the bike. Ridden with the 'rope' installed for many miles with no problems ever.:thumb

Long story short, I shoved BOTH of these failed plugs inside, took one try with my old fashion plugger my dad gave me 20 years ago (the greased rope 20+ years old) and it held on the first try, tire now deflated, no effort, and no work; I then sliced it level, and have been riding errands to town 20+ miles today with nary a lb. of loss of air.

I had one of those installed by the nice folks at the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) maintenance facility when I picked up a leak on the way to their annual Fly-In event. The tire would hold air for about 2 hours enabling me to limp there.

That greased rope lasted for the life of the tire. Nothing like low-tech...it always works.

Brown ones, YES;

NAPA sells the brown gummies and they seem to be better indeed than the black ones I used way back when. I have kept the brown NAPA sold ones for years without any of them drying out, or going bad. I know they are ultra sticky and need some rubber cement to lubricate them as they go in, otherwise its a really hard push to get them in place. Work fast:). Randy:thumb

In '04 my buddy decided to head on our trip to James Bay and then through Labrador with cheap truck stop gummies in his tire. Yes, that was plural. Two side-by-side. I didn't know that until we got well onto the dirt in Labrador. We had already gone 1500 miles by then. We did have to replace them, but with a bit of rubber cement, they got us all the way to St. John.

Me on the other hand got a sheet metal screw just outside Lab city. I used the pocket tire plugger and went about 1/2 mile before the belts cut the plug and spit it out. Left the mushroom inside the tire. I used one of his gummies and put another 5000 miles on that same tire.

I go with gummies. If I get a hole in the front tire. I get a new one tire that day. If I get a hole in the rear tire, I put in a gummy and forget it.

I get my tire repair kits for about $5 at truck stops. They have not failed me ever. I just don't recommend putting two side-by-side and HEADING TO LABRADOR BRAD!!!!:nono

Passing comment - I have a mushroom cap style tire plugger that worked well 1 out of 1 times.

I also carry a small portable compressor. The CO2 charge is great for my mountain bike but worth squat on a real tire.

For those on CanBus equipped bikes make sure you can run the compressor before you need to use it.

Mine would trip the shut off in about 3 seconds, i.e pulled more than 10a.

To solve that problem I rewired my rear accesory port directly to my Centech fuse panel and selected a 20A port.

I wired it with suitable gauge wire.

Dyna Plug +1

Well, I had the pleasure/displeasure of waking up to a flat tire on my van yesterday. It was a 3" screw that had gone right into the "corner" of the tire. Not on top but not in the side wall either. Basically a spot that any michelin dealer would tell you to replace the tire becuase of the roll in the tire in that area when cornering.
I carry the old traditional plugger with gummies as well as my new Dynaplug
Long story short....unscrewed the #10 wood screw and pushed a dynaplug in the hole. Very easy to do and about 2 seconds later, done. The temp outside was about 0 C or 32F so I was a little concerned being on the cool side as it would probably work best with a little heat.
So far not 1 lb of air loss.
The problem with our bike tires is the stiff casing which I believe would make this tool the easiest to use.
Picked mine up at Harbor Freight.
John

Stop and Go Tire Plugger

I also decided to try my tire plugger on a tire I was about to replace. Had no problems made this video of it.
<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-3456817766350763830&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true"

Thanks for the great video. We need a Hall of Wisdom similar to ADVRIDER to collect this type of information.

A side note on "gummy use"-make sure you have a quality insertion tool, i.e., not made out of soft steel, as it will bend easily and frustrate you (when you are already ticked off @ the flat situation anyway!) , especially with stiff tread/belted tires-like most these days.

You should have quit while you were ahead.

You were ahead when you discovered the problem when the bike was in your garage.

Since NO tire manufacturer approves ANY patch method except a flat patch applied on the inside of the tire, you should understand that the sole use for externally-applied plugs is to recover from an emergency so you can get the tire to a tire store for proper repair.

Since you were in your garage it wasn't an emergency, and you should have just removed your wheel and had the flat repaired properly.

I suppose if you don't know how to remove the wheel and needed to ride the bike to a dealer for tire repair, plugging might have been a useful course of action. That's the only one in your situation.

Great instructional video. Thanks. I bought the Stop n Go before this thread got started. The concept looked pretty good. After reading the various posts, I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a DynaPlug. Maybe having both and a cell phone to call roadside assistance will guarantee that I never have a flat again...

Great instructional video. Thanks. I bought the Stop n Go before this thread got started. The concept looked pretty good. After reading the various posts, I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a DynaPlug. Maybe having both and a cell phone to call roadside assistance will guarantee that I never have a flat again...or maybe not.

You should have quit while you were ahead.

You were ahead when you discovered the problem when the bike was in your garage.

Since NO tire manufacturer approves ANY patch method except a flat patch applied on the inside of the tire, you should understand that the sole use for externally-applied plugs is to recover from an emergency so you can get the tire to a tire store for proper repair.

Since you were in your garage it wasn't an emergency, and you should have just removed your wheel and had the flat repaired properly.

I suppose if you don't know how to remove the wheel and needed to ride the bike to a dealer for tire repair, plugging might have been a useful course of action. That's the only one in your situation.

Hey, Chris, you weren't there, you have NO CLUE where I live or how my day was planned, which was part of the decision to use the plugger; I'm far from my dealer and don't relish any drive that I can change to a ride with a bit of ingenuity! Your derogatory attitude weighs very little in my books, since I didn’t ask for your advice in the first place. The tire was worn out before the flat so it was a great opportunity to try out the plugger. I reviewed this product in a well lit garage under the best of conditions, and it still flunked the "first use test"I am sure with a second chance, it would go easier, but many of us who don't profess perfection in emergency tire repair with the plugger would have trouble with the application. My review says NOTHING about about if it would work like a flat patch; with that comment, you missed the boat! We all know this is a temp fix, made for temp circumstances, duh!

Have a wonderful day, Chris! Happy Trails!

Dale

Last edited:
Like some others, I purchased a Stop N Go plugger in anticipation of my first flat tire. The video Munieo posted was great....thanks. It's always to see something used to learn some tricks for success. Struggling to understand instructions printed on small piece of paper, while crouching next to the road, holding a flashlight in your mouth isn't my preferred way to learn.:D

Thanks again for taking the time to do this!

Back