• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another Battery Question

pirana

The battery in my 99 1100GS won't hold a charge so I need to replace it. I've owned the bike since new & have tried WestCo, Odyssey & BMW Gels which is what needs replacing now. When I put this last battery in around two years ago I bought a charger that says it's for BMW Gel batteries & it's always been hooked up when parked in the garage. Last spring I stopped to put my rain suit on & forgot to turn my driving lights off but that was no more than 10 minutes. The next morning I got ABS fault warning lights but after a few miles it seemed to be ok. I've been without electricity for five days because of Hurricane IKE & hence, the charger hasn't been charging the battery & when I tried to start the bike it was completely dead. Why do I have such bad luck with batteries? I looked on Yuasa's web site & they had a Yumicron battery listed for the 1100GS & as it's around $90 I think I might give it a try. Anyone tried a Yuasa in an oilhead? Thanks

Do you have any parasites on the battery? Check the ground cable out, if that doesn't do it, the problem maybe in the starter. What color is it? JON

Yuasa (or Exide, since they are one in the same company) make good batteries. But I found that on my 94 R1100RS the battery tray measures 3-1/8" wide inside. Every battery that any Yuasa/Exide dealer claimed was right for my bike, was 3-1/4" wide. So that battery will NOT fit into the battery tray. I am not sure if the 99 R1100GS battery tray is the same as in my bike, but check it before you buy.

Westco batteries were made by Panasonic at one time, so Panasonic has an exact fit battery for the Oilhead that does fit. Also, Toyo makes an exact fit duplicate of the Panasonic/Westco battery. I have a Toyo battery in my R1100RS now for three seasons up here in Wisconsin and it has been working perfectly, which is more than I can say about the expensive Westco battery that preceeded it.

Back