• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

09 RA rally?

That's a good idea but better still might be a combined rally. The car clubs settled their differences and the sum is stronger than the parts. Just a thought from one who sees no defensible justification at this point in time for two U S based BMW motorcycle clubs.

Sorry but I strongly disagree. While I belong to,and like both, if I had to choose only one then hummmm, tuff but I think I would stay with the RA. Just the way I feel.

Would you volunteer to be the rally chair? Combining the rallies would put attendance around 12,000. It is hard enough to find a big enough site now! I think most people prefer 2 separate rallies...
Possibly greater rally attendance is the reason for two clubs and associate overheads, eh? Didn't realize that... :)

I don't want a combined Rally. The size of each club makes each rally a different experience. The MOA rallies are limited in location and the lead time is long due to the size of the rally. The RA rally has a much better opportunity to find good locations because it is smaller and the lead time is much shorter.

Besides, two opportunities to go to a rally beats one any time. I would be more in support of splitting the MOA rally into two separate rallies so more people would have an opportunity to be close enough to make a rally and there would be more locations available. I realize this won't happen because you would have to have another set of volunteers to handle a second rally and vendors would not like it and might not come the a smaller rally.

Y'all all missed my point so it must be all my fault. I will say it again. I can't see any rational justification for two 'national' BMW motorcycle clubs; finger pointing and turf not withstanding.

Y'all all missed my point so it must be all my fault. I will say it again. I can't see any rational justification for two 'national' BMW motorcycle clubs; finger pointing and turf not withstanding.

Most things need an alternative. No choice means a monopoly and it gives people no other place to go. Imagine the frustration if there was only one political party, one national news channel, one airline, one auto insurance company,etc. Clubs, products and most other things get better with good competition. There is little reason to make the product better or give a better price when you are the only game in town.

Most things need an alternative. No choice means a monopoly and it gives people no other place to go. Imagine the frustration if there was only one political party, one national news channel, one airline, one auto insurance company,etc. Clubs, products and most other things get better with good competition. There is little reason to make the product better or give a better price when you are the only game in town.

There's also (now) just one BMW car club in the U S. Think they should split it? :)

There's also (now) just one BMW car club in the U S. Think they should split it? :)

There is no need for two car clubs. With the interest level for car clubs as it is (other than special models within a brand) the alternative to a car club is one that most car owners elect-Nothing. I guess it's because to most people don't feel passionate about their car. I have several friends that own bosth BMW motorcycles and BMW cars. They belong to two or more BMW motorcycle clubs but they do not belong a BMW car club.

One Club

There is only one HOG club and I believe it is much bigger than the RA and MOA combined. So all the arguments regarding size limits are just that arguments. The local clubs are what make the difference, national is national, and you only see them once a year. I can't imagine belonging to something to do something once a year. YMMV.

BMWMOA vs. BMWRA

That's a good idea but better still might be a combined rally. The car clubs settled their differences and the sum is stronger than the parts. Just a thought from one who sees no defensible justification at this point in time for two U S based BMW motorcycle clubs.

The cultures of the 2 organizations are quite different. I enjoy both clubs' publications, rallies, etc. Their differences give me 'choice(s)'. I like that!
Rich

Speaking as a BMW MOA Board Member and someone who's run a BMW RA rally, there's a lot of advantages for the riders in having two rallies. In particular, the 'RA can host rallies in places where the 'MOA just can't fit. Plus you have the advantages of two events each with it's own "feel" at different times. However, in the spirit of cooperation, the 'MOA will be providing "leads" to the 'RA on potential rally sites that aren't big enough for us. Cooperation is very good, and so are choices. The point of any club should be about the riders.

Back