• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

extended warranty

B

boomta2

Hi, I just bought a 2008 1200GS and have the 3yr manufacturers warranty. What I would like to know is do you think it is worth an extra $1000 for another 2 years? Thanks for any insight.

Are you close to running out the 36,000 miles? 'Cause otherwise I'd wait until I was near the end of the warranty to make that decision. Unlike car dealers - bike dealers seem delighted to sell you an aftermarket warranty as long as it's before the factory one runs out. Since we also don't know your mileage history, it's hard to make a recommendation at all (how many miles do you ride a year?)

$1000 sounds a bit high, depending on the coverage. I have heard of warranties for bikes that go to 100k miles, 6 years for considerably less. Dealer markup on warranty sales is usually 100% - so some room to dicker is there.

In any case - with an extended warranty, you're betting the bike is a POS that is gonna cost a lot to keep rolling, and the warranty company is betting it isn't. Seems odd when you think about it right?

To really access the situation, we'd need to know - how many miles you do, what your comfort level is on repair costs, and how long you intend to keep the bike. We'd then need to know exactly what the policy covers with what exclusions and what cost-sharing (deductable) terms.

After an ESA shock replacement, I got nervous and recently purchased one for my '06RT. Price was around $1,350 and it extends my warranty coverage for 4 years.
Tom

Whatever you do, make sure you get a copy of the policy before purchasing it, and read the fine print. That's the only way you'll know exactly what it covers, and for what term.

Do not rely on what the salesperson says it covers. What he says is meaningless if it conflicts with the written word.

Like Don, I think a grand is a bit much. Tell them you'll pay $750.00 and see what they say.

Easy :usa

Does BMW offer a warranty or are these second-party warranties sold by the dealer or even perhaps by others? Just curious.

I think in my life I have only bought one extended warranty, on a 1989 Toyota Corolla that I bought new. Not sure what it cost but during the extended warranty a ton of work was done on the transmission/engine because oil was bleeding out. It was covered so for at least that time, well worth the cost. It is a gamble and one must examine risk tolerance and how much money one has to cover such things.

I agree $750 would be a price I would pay to extended a warranty on my 2008GS. I will see when the time comes. I know dealers will deal on price.

BMW does not offer an extended warranty. But $1000 is about right for a 3 year addition to the factory warranty. Had one on my GS and my LT and the GS was about $875 and he LT a bit over $1000. Basically it is a 6 year unlimited mile warranty. So while most may not hit > 36,000 miles ... if you did hit that in say the first year of owneship you are covered. I have always purchased Pinnacle (spelling??) and while I never had to use them they were a HUGE benefit when I was selling my bike. Also, my dealer sells pinnicle so I figure if I ever had a claim him being a dealer for them may help my situation. Just my $.02 I have read all the pros and cons and basically whatever lets you sleep at night is what is right for you. I believe the much cheaper 6 year deals folks are referring to as those through manufacturers like Honda. I agree the Hondaline warranty is a bargain and I'm not sure why anyone would pass that up. You can get 7 total years on a Wing for something like $495!! Just not the case with BMW's

Another factor to consider is that not all dealers/shops will accept an extended warranty. If you break down in [insert remote site here], you may be on the hook to pay for the repairs and then try to get the money from the warrantor yourself.

Another factor to consider is that not all dealers/shops will accept an extended warranty. If you break down in [insert remote site here], you may be on the hook to pay for the repairs and then try to get the money from the warrantor yourself.

Good point ..... and another reason why I selected Pinnacle .... they seem to be used (sold) by numerous dealers. In addition my dealer has indicated the few times they have had claims they were handled very well.

Back