• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Handle bar risers for a R1200ST

bonny1969

I have a R1200ST which I'm trying to raise the handle bars for greater comfort. I've found that A&S offers a handle bar kit for $ 580 which is located at http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44375. MV Verholen also has an adapter kit which allows you to put the stock handle bars above the tripple tree giving about 2-1/2 inches of rise. Some members on this site have used and like this option. I was interested in the A&S handle bars since they allow you to sit upright but may dramatically change the appearance of the bike.

Does anyone have any experience and/or feedback with the A&S handle bar kit for a R1200ST.

Thanks

My 2006 R1200St has MV risers, and I like them quite a lot. They essentially raise the stock bars from below the triple clamp to just above it. The kit comes w/ a extension for the brake and/or clutch hyd. line.

This is a net relocation of about 2" a combination of about 1.5" lift and 0.5" toward the rider.

The price was reasonable, and although the kit is simple, the Tech at Creative Cycle Concepts assured me that some of the cost was engineering the components :deal to fit seamlessly on to the ST. (~$300/kit)
http://www.creativecycleconcepts.com/

I hope this is helpful.

Len:bolt
ps- I am 6' tall, 195 lb.

It's cheaper to order the Verholen kit directly from them in Germany, even if the shipping cost is a bit higher.

Be aware that on the 2007 bikes with the new, non-power assisted brakes, the shape of the master cylinder on the right handlebar is different and there is a slight interference problem between it and the dash when you try to install the kit. I ground a slight amount of the casting away to clear the dash, and am very satisfied with the results.

R1200st

Before you change anything, make sure you give it a chance. I've had my ST for about a year and I like the bars and pegs right where they are. I've made two trips to North Carolina from Orlando and I find it quite comfortable. Once I arrive in the mountains, I take off the bags, lower the bars and it turns into the sportbike BMW intended it to be. You won't have that option if you change the bars. The R1200ST is a very capable sport touring bike. I think it's sad when people change it into a touring bike when it's so good at what it was designed to do. If you don't like the posture, perhaps you'd be better off with a R1200R or a R1200RT. No offence intended, just make sure you give it a chance.

Ride Safe
Rideoften

I have to agree with Mike. Before I put the bar risers on mine, I put 5,000 miles on the bike, just to make sure I wasn't missing out on something. For me and my "sleek physique", the original position was just too far forward and down, but with the Verholen risers, it's now just a mild crouch, which I really do like.

I have to agree with Mike. Before I put the bar risers on mine, I put 5,000 miles on the bike, just to make sure I wasn't missing out on something. For me and my "sleek physique", the original position was just too far forward and down, but with the Verholen risers, it's now just a mild crouch, which I really do like.

I have to disagree w/ Mikeb921, and agree w/ MikeR1200ST. The V/H risers are not ape hangers as Mike b921 might imply. They still give a sl. forward tilt to my body. And, in those Ga Mountains, on my rides, they're the cats meow!

I needed to take a bit of strain off my wrists, and these risers did just that. I find this set up quite comfortable, and quite sporty, as well. I do have a Euro windshield installed, its sl. taller that stock.

I stand by my original recommendation.

Len

I have to disagree w/ Mikeb921, The V/H risers are not ape hangers as Mike b921 might imply.

I stand by my original recommendation.

Len

Sorry Len, I didn't mean to imply your choice was like ape hangers. Whatever works is what the rider should use. I just thought the OP should give it a fair chance before spending that kind of money. Next time I'm in N Ga. the first cappuccino is on me.

Ride Safe
Rideoften

Sorry Len, I didn't mean to imply your choice was like ape hangers. Whatever works is what the rider should use. I just thought the OP should give it a fair chance before spending that kind of money. Next time I'm in N Ga. the first cappuccino is on me.

Ride Safe
Rideoften
Mike,

Not a problem! Please stop by. I'd love to meet you and do some riding together, if you like.

Len

ST Triple clamp replaced by R clamp ?

I too am trying to rise the bars on my newly acquired ST. In looking at the 1200R triple clamp, I was wondering if it would be a good option to the a/mkt. kits available? Has anybody tried to use the R triple clamp and if so, any obsticles?
Please upload photos if you have done this. If it is interchangable, where could I get the R clamp and how much should I expect to pay for a used one? Does the attached ball join remove/transfer?

I have a R1200ST which I'm trying to raise the handle bars for greater comfort. I've found that A&S offers a handle bar kit for $ 580 which is located at http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44375. MV Verholen also has an adapter kit which allows you to put the stock handle bars above the tripple tree giving about 2-1/2 inches of rise. Some members on this site have used and like this option. I was interested in the A&S handle bars since they allow you to sit upright but may dramatically change the appearance of the bike.

Does anyone have any experience and/or feedback with the A&S handle bar kit for a R1200ST.

Thanks

THAT is the exact kit that i put on my wife's bike, if i didn't we would have had to sell it.

Check this post for pictures:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=40726

We orginally tried the Verholens but it was not enough

Back