• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does this airhead make me an airhead?

Whew doggie, this is turning into quite the build. Your are an inspiration. Thanks for the thread, I have read it completely, and it has helped me in deciding to purchase an '83 R80. After reading, I kind of had a feel for what to look for.

BTW, where did you get head, wheel, swingarm bearings?

cheers, Len S

Get your Bearings Man.

Bearing store. Go to Snowbum's or Anton's website for bearing sizes. They is nothing special about them.

I actually have not replaced mine yet. I probably will just reassemble for the moment and check for danger later.

I actually have not replaced mine yet. I probably will just reassemble for the moment and check for danger later.

Sounds reasonable. Any looseness should be apparent on the build. Can't wait to see Renegade rolling again (even if it's withouth motor)
Cheers, Len S

Just back from the Hillbilly Opium Den

Just got back from rattle cannin PJ-1 Black Gloss Epoxy (approximately 3 coats, give or take a sniff) on frame, rear frame, swing arm, right handlebar switch housing and headlight ears.

So here is cost of admission to the Hillbilly Opium Den.
3806627092_b2b1a59222_o_d.jpg

Forgot to mention that I went after the bad rust with brass and stainless wheels chucked in a drill before the primer. Then sprayed everything down with TSP (got at HOME DEPOT) to remove all wax and grease.

After spraying the gloss black epoxy and waiting 24 hours, I rattle canned a couple of clear coats and ended up with a finish like this....
3805766795_eca995d438_o_d.jpg

Holy cra*!!! It's really really shiney. Since I am delegating cosmetics to secondary status over mechanical viability, I didn't strip the frame components down and there are scratches and coarse sanding marks, etc....with a really really shiney coat of paint which really points out that a Hillbilly rattlecanned the frame. Just doesn't look quite right to have a new shine that exaggerates old battlescars. Plus, I don't think the rest of the mechanicals are going to look showroom new when reinstalled leading to another visual dilemma. What's the Michaelangelo of Hillbilly motorcycle frames to do?

I have no idea, but this is what happened next. The little voice in my right ear is saying, "A rich Corinthian Patina is what this little beast needs". The little voice in my left ear is saying, "Shiner Bock". So I reached into the Felix bag of Hillbilly tricks and pulled out a beer and a technique that I learnt in a former life as a vintage woodworking tool dealer when a totally restored tool looked a little TOOO restored. After that technique I went from this: (Gee, I feel like CDD now)
3805766795_eca995d438_o_d.jpg

to this:

3805801145_5485e59365.jpg

It's not perfect, but looks a lot more "natural", ie. like a older frames patina otta look. And the secret is:
Wax and steel wool.
3805767079_9fb84aec57_o_d.jpg

Although the photo shows regular steel wool, I switched over almost immediately to superfine synthetic steel wool just because it's a little less aggressive. I still need to go after some of the crevices and welds with a toothbrush and some rubbing compound, but from a few feet away, the effect looks "right". If any of you try something like this, be warned, that you can screw up the overall finish faster than a toad'll pee in your hand.

I had to channel 4 Hillbilly zen bondo masters just to not screw it totally up. Then I ran out of synthetic steel wool....so I have more on order. I buy the Mirlon brand in roll form, 4" x 33' for $23. They make a maroon which is courser than the ultrafine grey. It is different than regular steel wool in that it wears and softens which regular steel wool doesn't do as fast. I use both real and synthetic. Oh yeah, the synthetic doesn't stick you either.

Renegade's Daddy?

Cruising through Ebay looking at bikes, there in the background I find Renegade's Pa! He's a hefty fellow, spent a lot of years haulin' stuff around. Got himself some new bodywork on the back, and he's lookin' to get back with his son!

Attachments

• Renegade 2.jpg
    Renegade 2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 433
Renegade Cannot Die

Well, it's been a while since I posted. Renegade is still apart, but his cousin damn near took me out last May. Maybe I'll spend a little time fillin you fellers sometime.

Part III please !
I laughed my ass off way to much for the final Curtain. That leak down test was priceless.

Just bought my first Airhead and spent the better part of my work day reading through 20 pages of this thread.

I need to know how the story ends!!!

Back