• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does this airhead make me an airhead?

Renegade_037.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the insanity! :drink

...I've got a trailer hitch too. What supports the hitch vertically? Or does it just reston Renegade's (there, I said it) mufflers? Mine has two stainless supports that connect to a Reynolds rack with a big trunk...which I don't always need, so I can only use the hitch with the trunk. Dang, Bubba, if it'd fit in the dog gone trunk, I wouldn't need to pull a trailer. :bottle

Trailer Hitched

Here's a pic of the way mine was. 2 straps twisted 90 degrees that bolts through another piece of strap that bolts onto the bag rack bolt. Hard to remember and I should have taken more pix. Hope that splains it Ricky.
Renegade_029.jpg

Looks like a good place to install a Hillbilly ski hook.

Ladies and gentlemen, as we continue please remember to keep all limbs inside the tour bus at all times. Hillbilly Karma is everywhere and we want you all to return with all your digits intact after the tour. You will notice to your left that there is only half a rear fender. Anyone have a clue how this happens?
Renegade_032.jpg

If you put a wide rear tire on the bike, it may clear the swing arm but not the left side of the fender near the battery box. Just a little rubbing. You could fix this by getting the right size tire or by careful alignment of the fender. Then again you could hack the left side of the fender off with a sawzall.

This is Classic HZE at it's best. I will wait for your collective wisdom to migrate to this thread. Have a great morning, fellow lunatics!
Renegade_063.jpg

This looks like an "Orange County Choppers" detail.

Nicely done!

This looks like an "Orange County Choppers" detail.

Nicely done!

I think they were going with the horse shoe look. bet that makes it harder to use it since it has to have a totally level area to sit on.

Probably not a good modification.

it also looks like the little flange is missing so deploying it is the pits, I know, its missing on mine and I have to reach down and push it with my hand, great way to get burned!

RM

Judging by the looks of things, I'd say you'll also need:
-master cylinder rebuild kit
-fuel line (duh)
-battery
-carb rebuild kits/floats(?)
-new petcocks(?)
-2 caliper rebuild kits(?) (dual disc breaks)

and if you plan on going naked (which you should :stick ):
-front turn signal wiring harness
-the alloy turn signals (not the black plastic ones)
-headlight wiring harness
-chrome ring/lens/springs/reflector/bulbs

I'd hold off on the cosmetics until you get a good runner. Even after that, make it safe and street legal before dumping money into shining it up.

Let's see a pic of that hitch deal, too.

Sorry, I LOVE this stuff.

:buds

Why the alloy ones? They are more expensive, and the rear signals on the bike are the blasck plastic ones - might as well have all of them match, yes?

He'll also need the brackets that hold the turn signals on, and a set of headlight ears (unless they are already there - I can't tell for sure, but the last conversion I helped with needed them).

IKE vs. THE RENEGADE, Fight of the Century

Well, we are getting ready to batten down the hatch even up here in North Texas awaiting IKE, whom we don't LIKE! But before the tarp went over the Beast, I got a few things accomplished. Like pulling the plugs, squirtin in some Hillbilly Juice and jankin on the rear wheel and ..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................it turns over and feels like it has pretty good compression. Definately 25 bicep lbs or more. At least I know I can do a compression test after the Reuben Carter. Also, a couple of pix of the cleaner and gussied up bones.

RENEGADE'S MOJO RIDES AGAIN!!!!!!!
Renegade_058.jpg

More HZE showed up down low this time...

The baling wire was not enough HZE for the side stand.

Sanded my crack today

Couldn't stand the mess under the MC any more.

It's not permanent so out comes the RattleCanExpressssssss.....hey, I think I may be channeling a Hillbilly!!!

Score One Starter Relay Repair Kit

Just tracked down the Starter Motor Relay Connector number and it is Bosch #3334485008. Most of the BMW supply houses don't stock it but do have the harness for $700.00. Cost via ASE Supply(503-288-0100) in Oregon is under $2. Guy that took my order rides a bike and was great to deal with.
Already found the relay at AutoZone so I'm a happy camper. One Hillbilly demon exorcised.......537 more to go...and I think the MOJO is startin ta grin....

Constructive comment: I bet your brake bleeders are still functional.

What'll you take for that baby right now?

it also looks like the little flange is missing so deploying it is the pits, I know, its missing on mine and I have to reach down and push it with my hand, great way to get burned!
No you don't! See where that little goober broke off? That's your "Toe Hold". (Wanna know how I know?) You reach up under the pipe with your toe and snag on that and bring it down to where you can step on the thing. You might burn your shoe, but hell; that's always a risk. :D

Renegade defeats IKE in 2 rounds

IKE is mostly history and the weather is great so the tarp is off again and I needed something to do for the day so it's it's it's ELECTRICS!!!!
But first a little gas draining...
Renegade_106.jpg

Not too bad and it still smells like gas...so on to the petcocks.
Renegade_108.jpg

ARGGhHH!!!! What do we find but a wee bit of rust clinging to the screens. I'll have to look down in the tank later. Don't know which petcocks these are, so if anyone has seen them on the side of a milk carton and can ID them, please do.

Renegade faces the Electric chair

So, the starter motor relay connector is on order and I thought I try to get a bit of a head start and clean up of the harness. Renegade is held together mostly with bailing wire and electrical tape. Miles and miles and miles of electrical tape. I had been worrying about the size of the red and orange wire at the relay connector and how I was going to find a spade the right size to deal with what looks like 8 or 6 gauge wire.
Renegade_095.jpg

Then I noticed that both these wires had electrical tape wrapped about them several inches away from the relay but since there was electrical tape wrapped around THAT electrical tape, I could not for the life of me make any sense of Renegade's spinal tap. Time to unwrap the black mummy cord of death.
Renegade_099.jpg

Mein Gott!! More HZE right before my eyes! That 06 gauge orange wire is connected to 10 gauge red wire for ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON. I thought the 06 gauge might be the correct size and the 10 gauge the imposter but then I unwrapped tweedle dee (the twin brother wire) and found the same thing! The smaller gauge wire snaked it's way into the (I Hope)original harness (w/o electrical tape) so I will assume that 10 gauge is the original. So this solves another mystery as I have read recommendations to just tie the 2 red wires at the relay together behind the relay as that is what the relay does internally anyway. But I could only find one red wire....another Hillbilly mystery solved.
So I removed the offending BIG WIRE and lengthened both remaining wires by twist soldering extensions to them and then using waterproof shrink wrap to finish them off.
Renegade_100.jpg

Stuck em thru the relay connector to "hold their places" till the connector arrives.
Renegade_102.jpg

Extensions and other perversions.

If you don't know by now, I will make it official. I hate bulges under electrical tape. I gotta know what the snake ate if I see any form of deformation, irregularity, or bloating. But what really pi$$es me off about electrical tape is the primordial ooze fest it promotes. It is my belief that in the beginning there was electrical tape..... and it oozed.... and the oceans were filled with sea cucumbers....and I don't like them EITHER! Now there is a bump on the large part of the harness that goes to the positive post on the battery that I've been spying for days. What could it be? My best guess is that there's some Hillbillyness goin on in that there harness and I aims to exorcise it. So I start unwrapping and unwrapping and unwrapping....I unwrap so much that my turntable start spinning backwards! Later that day, I found this?
Renegade_093.jpg

It's an extension to the original harness termination but the cable is just stuck through the hole and not secured. I really can't imagine why the PO was having electrical problems. He certainly used BIG ENOUGH WIRE!

Last edited:
Need a little help with this one

Meanwhile back at the relay I cleaned up a few more wires but am a bit confused. In the picture here you see 2 brown wires coming out of some more of my waterproof shrink wrap that replaced some cracking harness rubber. The 2 solid brown wires are joined (clymer wiring schematic confirms)then enter a connector that is now connecting to a blue wire and then joined to a yellow wire. That yellow wire was connected (soldered) to a lug on the top of the Master Cylinder under the tank. The other wire bundled with the 2 solid brown wires is a brown/blue wire that currently pigtails to a male spade connector that also has another brown/blue wire that connects to a yellow wire that connects to a blue/white (poss. blue/yellow) wire that goes to the starter relay and shares the lug with another blue/white wire (poss. blue/yellow) that heads off to who knows where.
Renegade_101.jpg

My guess is that this 2nd lug which was unconnected when I got the bike is somehow supposed to go to the Master Cylinder cap, but my cap looks like this:
Renegade_110.jpg

More HZE and me without a degree in Hillbilly. Can anyone help? The schematic shows that the blue/yellow wire goes to the starter switch and I'm trying to figure out why the starter switch should care to interract with the Master cylinder fluid level switch.

By the way...I am referring to the Page 769 schematic in the Clymer M502-3 manual if that helps anyone out there...it's marginally helpful to me at the moment. Not sure if it's the color blindness, dyslexia, or alzheimers that's the problem. Please advise.

My guess is that this 2nd lug which was unconnected when I got the bike is somehow supposed to go to the Master Cylinder cap, but my cap looks like this:
Renegade_110.jpg

More HZE and me without a degree in Hillbilly. Can anyone help?
Hey, if a connector was good, a cold solder joint ought to be even gooder!

Can't help you there, but popped in to point out that, in cars or bikes, brown is BMWese for 'ground' and, fortunately, very few hillbillies take to buyin' rolls of brown wire down at the Texaco (too close to the color of mud ...). So probably every brown you find is, was, and should be, a ground.

Lonelobo, yes, this bike makes you an airhead.

Of course the two in my garage make me a Squarehead (Airhead squared).

Welcome to the club, good of you to resurect another abused airhead.....Regards, Rod.

Back