Thread: '09 F800GS twin

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar

'09 F800GS twin

Got it! I helped uncrate it ten days ago at the dealership and bought it then and there, but only today brought it home. It's not really comparable to my hexhead; it is a different animal. I was in the woods on a dirt road about five miles from the showroom, heading over a local mountain.

This is a very cool ride! I need more mud.

Fred

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Got it! I helped uncrate it ten days ago at the dealership and bought it then and there, but only today brought it home. It's not really comparable to my hexhead; it is a different animal. I was in the woods on a dirt road about five miles from the showroom, heading over a local mountain.

This is a very cool ride! I need more mud.

Fred
    Fred:

EXCELLENT!!!
    I think you are going to love it!

What has to be assembled coming out of the crate?
    I had an arrangement with my dealer to be there for the un-crating, but ended up with a bike earlier in the production cycle and thus did not get to see it get born...

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob59 View Post
    Fred:

EXCELLENT!!!
    I think you are going to love it!

What has to be assembled coming out of the crate?
    I had an arrangement with my dealer to be there for the un-crating, but ended up with a bike earlier in the production cycle and thus did not get to see it get born...

Thanks,
    Jim
    It was just a coincidence that I was driving by and two BMW crates were being dropped off, an F650GS and an F800GS. I helped with both, because my order was in for an F650GS (though this was not the one) and I wanted to make sure I made the right choice. As I said above, I switched to the F800GS once both were out of their boxes.

Not much is involved in set-up. A hoist is wheeled over the front of the opened crate to lift the fork and install the front wheel that was removed from the inside of the crate frame.

Fred
    '09 F800GS
    '07 R1200R

Photos Please!

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Photos Please!
    No camera that day. Sorry.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    No camera that day. Sorry.

Fred
    Or today?

Or today?
    Here's some of my bike.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HyperiatePics/F800GS#

I just ordered knobbies for it today -- hopefully they'll be here next week!

Cheers,
    Tom B

Photos Please!
    Here ya go.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; 05-25-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyrum View Post
    Here's some of my bike.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HyperiatePics/F800GS#

I just ordered knobbies for it today -- hopefully they'll be here next week!

Cheers,
    Tom B

Beauty!! Congratulations!
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

revkev
    I picked up my 2009 F800GS at the dealer today. I was taking my 2008 - 1200GS in for service and a few odds and ends and the owner said that he thought my 800GS (my wife's 800GS) had just arrived the afternoon before and was being worked on for delivery. Sure enough, there it was. I paid for it and drove it home.

Only 200 miles on it but here are some quick comments:

I am quite tall at 6-3 1/2 so I really like the tallness and slimness of the bike. In actual driving it feels much more like a F800S than it does my 1200GS. It has a great sound to it and looks very shape to the eye. Two "shorter" BMW owners tried to sit on it at the dealer and lamented the fact that it looked so sharp but they could never own one because their feet wouldn't touch the ground, or barely.

I am in the break in stage for the first 6-800 miles so can't hammer much on it. My experience is that the F800GS runs pretty nice at 70-75mph. Above that it does vibrate a little. 70-75 is a nice speed to run. My 1200 runs pretty nice at 85-90 all day long without much effort. The K bikes I have been on seem to be able to run at 100-105 pretty easy.

The 800GS has a much more of an off road feel and look to it. That's what one would expect and desire in buying such a bike. That's why I bought it, as off-road/farm/ranch/logging roads, etc., an extra type specific bike.

I like the seat as it is. It is pretty wide and firm, but also appear long and slim. What I like about the seat, being a tall person with long arms is this...you can easily slide way back on the seat and reach out to the handle bars and gain a lot of roominess for the arms and legs. I think the slimness of the seat allows for this more than my 1200GS.

The bike is fun to ride and has some zip. Won't know for sure until it is broke in and I gain some confidence with it. It is a cool bike, sharp, spicey. unique.

That said, the 800GS in no way can compete with my 1200GS which is very smooth and much more powerful. The 1200 also handles much nicer in the curves of the paved highways. Of course my 1200 cost about $7,000 more so that is no surprise. The 2008 1200Gs is the nicest bike I have ever ridden. I love it and have about 18,000 miles on it already.

The F800GS is what it is, and that is pretty darn sweet. I look forward to more testing and experimenting. We will see how it does with my wife along and we will also see how she does on this one, learning to ride in the fields. She has never driven one before so it will be interesting to see how she does or if and when she quits...so I can have it to myself!

BTW...I was the third one to get an 800GS through this dealer. It arrived pretty much when they said it would. I was also told that the next four are also pre-sold. Sounds like it will be a hit. It is nice looking and will reach a certain market.

Intermediate Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Fred, what dealer did you go through? That's cool that you just happened to be there for the "birth".

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Fred, what dealer did you go through?
    Mechanicsburg. It's only 5 miles from me, and it was fortunate that I drove by when the two unopened crates were outside. I got to compare and contrast the two models, and the offer was made that I could have my choice.

Fred

Fred,

Mine is on order, and I can hardly wait. Will you keep your 1200R ? I am wondering about mine.
    Dan A.
    BMW MOA # 137114
    DANz Garage Blog
    http://www.rahq.com