• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need advice

Bmwgs94

I need some advice. I have the older GS and I am looking for any kind of rack extensions or something that I can care gear a little bit easier then I have been. Please help me out here:dunno I have the stock bmw bags and a small reynolds backrest/rack and I just can not find a good way to attach stuff. Thanks for the help every one.

KevinFrantz
R100GS
Warsaw,In

Hauling gear

What kind of gear are you wanting to carry?
Camping equipment, or just travel clothes and stuff?
I have a 93-K1100LT and have removed the rear case and only use it when I travel with my wife. Otherwise I have a Reynolds back rest with the two side bags and allows better stability without the taller rear case, for small touring rides it works well for two up.
Fernando

need advice

I am hauling camping gear ( tent,sleeping bag, mat , and ground cover ) a chair to sit for a while clothes and some repair parts. Sounds like a lot and it might be to much. But I am always willing to be prepared for anything. Sure enough if I do not pack it I will need it if you know what i mean. I have checked with a few companies and they tell me I might have to make my own special rack to fit that old of a bike. There has to be some thing out there I can use . Thanks for the reply.

Kevin Frantz

Luggage Rack

I have a '92 R100GS. I purchased a solo seat and the luggage rack extender to fill the space where the pillion seat would be. These are pretty available, both new and used. I got mine new through BMW Mottorad in St. Louis (now Prestige Cycles) a couple of years ago for around $270 if memory serves. Check the IBMWR Marketplace ads, or post a parts wanted ad there.

Dang, I sure wish I hadn't lost my machine shop privilages. I need to make a light mount, and if you had pics and measurements, I could probably whip something up for you.

My new employer doesn't have a machine shop, but the old one had a really nice one, with lots of metal stock for us to use.

Thanks GS Tom for the info. When I was down at the last rally in Charleston , the was a booth that had backrests and rack extensions and I ask the gentleman if he had something that would work on my bike and he told me that I best buy a new bike. I ask why is this ? And he told me that I would not find anything anywhere that would work for me. That my bike was to old and that his company did not and could not help . Well again thanks a bunch ..

Kevin Frantz

Re: need advice

phatman said:
I am hauling camping gear ( tent,sleeping bag, mat , and ground cover ) a chair to sit for a while clothes and some repair parts. Sounds like a lot and it might be to much. But I am always willing to be prepared for anything...There has to be some thing out there I can use . Thanks for the reply.

Kevin Frantz

Kevin...

Try magsbags.com...You might find something there that may be of some use...I purchased their Vagabond Bag System and it worked real well on my last trip...

Good luck...

Do you need to keep passenger seat free or not? I run an R80GS, one saddlebag and one topbox. Full camping, cooking gear plus chair. Thermarest and tent go in dry bag on back of small GS rack, everything else in the two boxes. If you don't need to keep passenger seat free, four bungee buddies, one on each top corner of the bag, then a cargo net over a large drybag should cleanly hold all your gear that doesn't go in your saddle bags.

BestRest products out of Washington also make rack extensions for R11's but they are just flat aluminum plates with holes, don't see why with a bit of thinking they couldn't be attached to your Reynolds rack.
See their ad in BMWON

Back