• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"84 G/S newly aguired and freshen up time

04r1150rs

ONE LESS HARLEY
"84 G/S newly aquired and freshen up time

Just got this 94,000 mile young 1984 G/S and of course she needs some attention. First on the list was to put in a "new" to it wiring harness, front EBC pads (evacuated the brake MC), then pull off the rear sub frame and brackets for powder coating, along w/ the exhaust for ceramic coating. I'll up date pictures as I go. So far i've removed and replaced the angle irons used for light bars and painted them (not on the bike yet), plus rewired the lights (soldiered all connections). Still waiting for the exhaust to be finished.

This is the before picture

IMG_2749-40.jpg

This weekend I removed the tranny for a spline lube, the shafts look good, a little brass in the oil (??). Cleaned up the swing arm, drive shaft oil was brown!!!, cleaned outside of tranny, and installed a newly powder coated bits-air filter box (the old paint was flaking off real bad), starter cover, rear sub frame, rear racks.

IMG_2756-50.jpg

The after everything was put back on the tank was buffed some, rims have also been polished. So here it is at the end of toady

IMG_2762-50.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Yeah

Very sweet! Have you taken it for a ride? More pics, please. These are classic bikes.

I've ridden it about 150 miles before taking the rear sub frame off, she shifts well and runs very good. Surprising how well she runs and shifts, but not to leave well enough alone, had to do a little cleanup and check things out. The tranny splines appear to be chrome plated, I believe this is right, but I was paranoid about the splines, and since the sub frame was off.......well you know how it goes.

When I get the exhaust nuts from BMW (one had to be cut off and the threads straightened up with a thread file), the ceramic coated pipes can go on. The only thing left for short term, will be to clean the inside of the forks and install new seals and gators, plus drop the oil pan to inspect for sludge and make sure the oil pickup is still connected.

Long term, i.e., this winter will be to install new timing gears and chain, pull the cylinders to replace the push rod seals and while I'm at it pull the cylinders replated w/ nickasill, install new rod bearings and rings.

Very long term plans for the bike...hopefully next summer a trip to Alaska????!!! It came w/ a larger tank from a R100 (6 gal??)

I see a tank behind the bike, looks like a R100R tank, is that the tank? I have a R80ST and I have a R100GS tank I plan to add when I put that bike back together. I think it has a 5.5 gallon capacity, I think the stocker holds about 4 gallons. U have a nice project going.

Very nice cleanup! You've motivated me to polish my rims :laugh

Stock tank *looks* like an R65 tank, but is slightly different in that it has subtle knee indents. Listed capacity is 5.1 gal. Correct replacement tank would be the 32L Paris-Dakar tank at almost 9gal.

I have both. The PD carries the weight very low and was surprisingly not the pig I expected. It is wider however, and I prefer the stock tank for dirt/offroad.

It looks like you have the stock grey Bosch coil. Look carefully for fine cracks running llongitudinally. It's rare to find one that isn't cracked. If so, you may want to consider a replacement (I recommend Dynacoil) before you get stranded in the rain.

Don't ask me how I know :cry

Anton, thanks I'll check for cracks.

BTW I used Mothers aluminum polish on the rims with a buffer wheel on an angle grinder for the outer section then olde elbow grease on the inner. It takes a little while but it's amazing how well they polish up. Look at the first picture then the last one for a comparison.

Was able to drop the oil pan and inspect for sludge, this was done because the bike has a lot of miles and while I was told the PO changed oil religiously I had to check, better safe than sorry. All looked good, plus the oil pickup was tight, don't forget the oil screen needs to be cleaned.

IMG_2763-30.jpg

Now that the bottom end is buttoned up, look at the ceramic coated head pipe. The right exhaust nut had to be split to remove, then the threads chased w/ a thread file.

IMG_2767-50.jpg

If you notice in the 1st picture the mirrors were chipped up and hand guards were chaulky. Mirrors were sanded and painted w/ satin black, the hand guards were sanded and painted w/ black bumper paint.

IMG_2770-50.jpg

last shot is of the Sito exhaust which was also ceramic coated.

IMG_2768-50.jpg

Next things to do are- new progressive fork springs ($69) and seals, then timing gears and chain, and lastly the pushrod seals.

Last edited:
I'd say to skip the progressive springs and add Racetech cartridge emulators that use the stock springs... It's a great combination and works very well on my '81 G/S!

I'm curious about the ceramic coated head pipes. How long have they been on there, and how have they held up to gravel chips and such? I understand you can only answer based on what the previous owner has told you about the bike's history.

Bob

I'll have to get back w/ you on the ceramic coating as it's just been done, only about 150 miles on pavement.

Hpw much for the Racetech cartridge emulators, and any machining needed

Muffler Guard

IMG_2773-50.jpg

Here's one of the latest modifications for the R80 G/S, as there was no muffler guard I made this out of 5/16" rod and some flat bars. About $15 in steel just need to paint

Wind Screen

I notice your wind screen. Is that a the Deflector Screen by National Cycle? It looks like it belongs on the bike. I'm looking for a screen for my '81 G/S and this one looks like it will fit the bill.

Brian

It's a national cycle street shield, 19.5" tall. It's adjustable and fits around the head light well, don't know how much it cost or anything.

Here's a better shot.

IMG_2774-50.jpg

Nice job.

Where you inspired by your Triumph? I used to have a high piped '71 TR6C with a similar barbeque grill looking heat shield on it.

Bob

well, a little by the T100C, but it's got low pipes on it now. Just the easiest and cheapest option for me.

Also time to plug or remove the BMW emmissions system...the pipes that come from the airbox to the lower front of the heads...and the valves inside the airbox.

Take a look at your heads the next time you check the valves..is the front half of the head a golden brown while the rear still a clean aluminum? If so, the engine has run lean for a long time mainly because of this attempt by BMW to meet emissions standards back then. Most dealers sell a kit to plug the holes left when this comes off.

The result of not cleaning this up is the much earlier onset of sinking valve seats from overheating.

Back