• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody else had a GSA aluminum pannier fall off of their bike?

D

Daaayo

I have an '07 GSA and live in Sonora, CA. August 21, 2008 I rode over Sonora Pass on HWY 108 to Bridgeport (98 miles) to attend the Dog Days Adventure Ride put on by Rawhyde Adventures which was great! Before leaving home I filled my genuine BMW luggage systems panniers that I bought with the bike new, with all my camping "stuff", LOCKED them both onto the bike and when I arrived in Bridgeport and got off my bike I noticed that my left pannier was missing! I DISTINCTLY remember locking the latch, turning the key and pulling the key out. I contacted my dealer, explained the situation and they have written an email to BMW but have yet to receive a response.
I did not think it was possible to lock the latch around the frame and pull the key out without the pannier being properly in place. Is it possible to do this and the pannier not be attached? Has this happened to anyone else? I have submitted a claim to my insurance company and they will cover the cost of the pannier, minus a $250 deductable but will not cover any of the value of the contents.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Lost my right OEM pannier.........

The aluminum pannier had been previously distorted out of square, by a large downed tree branch , while riding on a trail....... I streightened out, back to square, via a auto screw jack and wood blocking.. and a rubber hammer... I thought the over center latch was ok... it was not... I had the latch hook around the round pipe with no movement ( me taping it to simulate road shock) it worked for a week,, I should have added a back up rope, etc. once the box was questionable... it fell off twice, with me loosing it the 2nd.... Presently looking for a 45liter right box...........

Welcome to the forum! The original post is quite old and there doesn't seem to have been any response to the original question. Things might have changed with owners since that time.

I'd consider using the Marketplace link at the top of the page to put in a want ad for a new pannier.

Ditch the BMW OEM cases and get a set of Bumot or TT Zega cases. I had TT Zega’s on my ‘06 oil-head GSA because even back then, the OEM cases weren’t all that great. YMMV

My OEM panniers stayed attached for 150K miles. Mostly highway but several hundred high speed gravel-road miles as well (Trans-Lab, Top of the World, Dalton, etc.). Loaded they weighed about 20 lb. each.

Back