• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! - Chasing electrons in circles

oldcarkook

Subzero Scooter Idiot
I have a pair of PIAA 80 driving lights on my '96 R1100RT and they blinked off last week. I mean poof, not working. The switch still has power and sends power to the relay, but no power to the lights. I am assuming that the relay is shot, but am wondering if anyone else has had a light relay fail on these high intensity driving lights?

If you've got power to the relay, but nothing coming out, it may be the relay. You may also want to check the ground for the relay actuator.

Was it possible to turn on the lights with the engine off? If so, do that and listen for the relay to pull in and drop out when you turn them off. There should be a distinctive click from it.

You said that voltage is reaching the relay; did you measure at the pin for the coil <u>and</u> output contact(s)?

Also, someone had posted on the K board a few months ago about a relay dying from condensation forming inside of it.

It will not spark up the lights under any conditions. I have not yet started pulling off tupperware to get at the relay, but I can hear it clicking when the switch is activated. I am working on the assumption that the relay is the likely culprit, but once I have it all exposed, I'll know a lot more. I was turning wrenches until 1:30 AM on vintage stuff last night and that brought me to the machine shop today for some work on the parts I removed so I'll be diving into the bike tomorrow night I hope and will report anything I find that doesn't add up. Thanks for the great and insightful responses. Sharing knowledge is what it's all about. Thanks gang.

If you can here the relay clicking, it is most likely okay. You could have lost a wire from the relay to the lights. If you have the lights fused, they could be bad without affecting the relay.

Here is a picture of what you most likely have/want:

lights.jpg

With the switch off, you should read 12V at one terminal of the relay--one side of the NO contact. If you don't have 12V here, and have a fuse, it is the fuse.

With the switch on, you should read 12V at three terminals of the relay--both sides of the NO contact and the coil.

Sorry gang, been WAY behind on my reading. I have still not yet gotten into this or even ridden the bike in nearly a month. Been busier than a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest with work and it seems the bike has been parked too long. I have power in and out of the switch, and no power at the lights at all. I have not yet pulled off all tupperware to get at the harness and the relay to see what I have there. PIAA has agreed to (actually offered unsolicited) to warranty the relay and all I need to do is give them the number off of it. That would lead me to think that maybe this is not the first time this has happened. Hope to dive into this some on Saturday. FINALLY got some time opening up.

Back