• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To paint or not ...

A

ArthurKnowles

I'm planning to trade-in or sell my '96 RT later this year and move up to a R1200RT. My '96 is in good mechanical shape, but the paint has suffered a bit as it has a few scratches and been repainted with the BMW paint kits (small brush in a bottle). The knee pads are also begining to come loose.

I'm trying to decide what my best (cost effective) choice is for a trade-in or sall to a private party. Is it:

a) Do nothing.

b) Have the motorcycle professionally repainted.

c) Paint it myself in a custom color.

I already have the paint and equipment to paint it as I bought it for a previous motorcycle then sold it before I painted it. I was planning to use Alsa paints with a black base coat, chrome over coat (really does look like chrome too), then a cobalt blue transparent until I reach the shade I like, with several layers of clear coat to finish.

I'm pretty sure I have the time to do the painting as well since I wasn't planning to sell it until Nov/Dec. But it is also a lot of work to prep the plastic (have the tools for that too).

If I have it painted professionally, I know I could take it to a paint shop (just the plastic) and have it color matched and painted, but I'm not sure of the cost. Or if it is the better way to go.

Anyone with experiance care to help me make an informed decision?

Personally, I'd probably just leave it alone. I don't think that you'd recoup the cost of painting it in the sale price.

On the other hand it might be fun to paint a bike and see how good you do.

Don't under estimate the amount of work this is. 90% prep and 10% actual painting.

Peter B

The first thought I have when I see a freshly painted bike is "has it been down?"
Even if it hasn't, it may raise a warning flag that turns off a potential buyer.

some people would prefer the faded stock BMW colors over a new non stock color

or if it needs paint, and it is the bike they want, they can repaint to suit themselves

Not seeing the bike, the money back in time and labor might not be worth it

I also agree, like a car, is the new paint hiding something
how much bondo
has it been down

however , the color you are describing, and how , sounds like a pretty thing

Having painted a full fairing motorcycle and a few others, I had rather have the bike painted when I bought it. A car is much easier to paint than a motorcycle.

I think people put too much into "has it ever been down?" Very few older bikes have never been down, just a matter of how hard.

A professional paint job that you describe is probably going to cost $2-3,000 dollars, if not more for quality work.

I would repaint the bike only if I enjoyed doing that work myself. BTDT.

Some people are so suspicious that they would look a gift horse in the mouth.

Ralph Sims

Thanks all. The concensus here and elsewhere is to leave it as is and only paint it if I keep it. So, that's what I plan to do. Appreciate the input.

I think you should sell it to me a very reasonable price and stop fretting over it. I am here to help:whistle

I think you should sell it to me a very reasonable price and stop fretting over it. I am here to help………:whistle

If you are serious, PM me and we can talk price. I'm willing to sell it between KBB trade-in value & private sell value. And I have added quite a few nice items to it.

I'll even pick you up from the airport. :)

Back