• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pirelli vs. Metzeler

joeangi

Time for tires on my 1986 K100RS....The bike came with Pirelli's back in the day. I have been running Metzelers since then. (really miss the Comp K's). Anyone have an opinion...Lasertecs or Sport Demons?

Thanks for any advice....PS, my tires generally get replaced due to time, not miles. So stick is more important than wear.

Same company. Metzler owns Pirelli.

I have a buddy that swears by the Sport Demons.

Ralph Sims

Not to nitpick, but Pirelli owns Metzeler...

I think Pirelli makes some of the best tires around. Metzelers had a great reputation when they were made in Germany. Production has been moved to Brazil and I've heard a lot of complaints about how quality has been markedly lower since. I have no personal experience on this score. And in fact just ordered a set of Lasertecs for an 84 airhead - here's hoping.

Going to be stuck with these things for the next 5 years....the Lasertecs are "safe", The Pirelli's tread looks a whole lot more modern

I ran a few sets of Pirelli Sport Demons on my K75S and really liked them although it seemed they got a little slippery on the rear near the end of it's tread life (about 7000 mi.). Switched to the Metzler Lazertech at the last tire change as my local dealer couldn't locate the front. After about 500 mi. the Metzlers seem to preform OK. The difference I've found is that they seem to turn in slower (take more bar effort) and they follow rain grooves more than the Pirelli's did. Other than that they appear to be a good tire and will reserve my final comments until I see how long they last which from what I've read isn't that great.

l

My Two Cents

To throw my 2 cents into the mix. I'm running Avon Road Riders on my K75s and I have been really pleased with them. Really nice tread pattern for all around riding, wet and dry, no tire guiding on grooved pavement. Good tread wear performance too. I think they're great and will put another set on the bike when I need them.

Have never given much thought to the Avons....don't know why. The bike has only had Pirelli and Metzeler. Hated the ME880.....other than that all were pretty good.

I had Lazers on my K75s. But, I did not care for the sharp crown of the tire. I then moved to Bridgestone Battlax. Great tire with more predictable lean in the turns. My current tire is the Pirelli Sport Demon. The best tire so far! A nice even crown, super going into the turns, and the tire channel is very friendly when in the rain. I installed the Sport Demons myself with Dyna Beads for balance. 1000 miles so far.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

Back