Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP - Recommendations for sore butt on R11RT

Unhappy HELP - Recommendations for sore butt on R11RT

I ride a R11RT, and have both Comfort and Std BMW saddles. I develop a sore butt after only 60 miles in summer weather in CO, and a little further in cool weather. Usually wear jeans and cotton briefs, but have tried an Alaskan Sheepskin and UnderArmour briefs only help a little. Does anyone have suggestions? Maybe a new seat, or different clothing? Does Anti MonkeyButt powder work?

Quote Originally Posted by aklepacki View Post
    I ride a R11RT, and have both Comfort and Std BMW saddles. I develop a sore butt after only 60 miles in summer weather in CO, and a little further in cool weather. Usually wear jeans and cotton briefs, but have tried an Alaskan Sheepskin and UnderArmour briefs only help a little. Does anyone have suggestions? Maybe a new seat, or different clothing? Does Anti MonkeyButt powder work?
    I had my seat reshaped/recovered and wear Spandex under my riding gear. Plus I have highway pegs. By changing positions and sliding with the Spandex (walmart $8.00) I can go about 2 hours without stopping and do 800 miles or more a day.

Last edited by RJM2096; 09-02-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Look at the top of the page, at the blue bar. Where it says "Search v", click on that and type sore butt, then hit return. You will be busy reading into next month.

BMW seats are infamous and much has been written here already.

Good luck!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

beads

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=29056

The bead seat thingy works great for me. See this thread

I'll second the recommendation for Beadriders. But before that, reconsider wearing jeans while you ride. They can be tight, have big bulky seams and don't stretch. Spandex works much better, or even a softer cotton blend.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by aklepacki View Post
    Beadrider seat cover (www.beadrider.com) and some sort of spandex/lycra/LDrider (www.ldcomfort.com) shorts under whatever overpant you wear (I usually wear a Cycloak pant but occasionally jeans too). With this combination I've not had a problem with sore butt up to 1,000 miles in a day. After that, I start getting antsy
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Rally Rat

Two words

Rick Mayer

Exclamation

Gonna move this to gear to get more responses.
    Steve Marquardt

Jfixit
    I have to wear riding pants not jeans. Jeans will make it unbearable in about an hour, with First Gear either mesh or HT overpants I'm good pretty much all day. Yes the powder helps but Medicated Gold Bond is better.

jeremell
    Sargent seat! Anti Monkey Butt Powder does help too.

How can BMW which installs outstanding seats in their cars..

Put such uncomfortable seats on their bikes?

+3 on the Beadriders.

K1100LT.... Russell Saddle.... all day long. We had da pain with original equipment but (butt?) with the Russell, no matter the temps or distance, no pain 'n' all gain. -Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I use the Russell Day Long Saddle. Works Great !!
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

Had a russell, got rid of it. too "wingy" It was fine for up to two hours but after that made the back of my legs numb. Got a Bill Mayer and haven't looked back. Love it. Did 8 hours last week. I second the riding pants and some Anti-monkey-Butt. Seams are bad.....you can cause some serious damage that's pop up in a few days from pressure points and end up with some open wounds....
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

Ditto riding pants, they make a big difference, especially after a long day.

Expensive, yes, but consider how long they last if you only wear them while riding. (that's why my golf shoes hold up so well)
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?