• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RTP Auxilliary LED Tail/Brake Light...

1analguy

A while back, someone posted a link to a BMW catalog of accessory parts specifically for the RTP. There was an LED tail/brake light (part number 63 17 0 446 858) that hangs right below the license plate on a bracket that fits underneath the plate and is held on by the plate screws. It has a wiring pig tail with a factory harness connector on it. A side note in the catalog says that bikes from July '07-on already have the necessary connection in the stock harness and that, for earlier bikes, a "wiring update kit" (part number 63 17 0 446 859) will be necessary.

My questions are: 1) Does "bikes" refer to all RTs, or only RTPs? And, 2) Has anyone mounted one of these lights on an earlier-than-July '07 RT? Specifically, will this setup work at all on my February '07 RT and if so, do I need the wiring adapter as well or do I need to fabricate something instead?

BTT for ya.

I'd like to know too for my 05 R1200RT. Our 2008 R1200RT-Ps just arrived at work and have the light you describe... wouldn't mind having one on my personal bike.

The MAX BMW parts fische lists the harness for $13.50 and brake light for $109. Really not too bad, especially considering they're BMW parts.

Yes, but which parts do we need or can we use if we have civilian RTs instead of RTPs? I guess what I'm really wondering is: is there a difference in the main wiring harness between the RT and the RTP? And will my "early" RT be able to utilize the wiring adapter that was actually intended for the "early" RTP for a "plug-in" installation?

Yes, but which parts do we need or can we use if we have civilian RTs instead of RTPs? I guess what I'm really wondering is: is there a difference in the main wiring harness between the RT and the RTP? And will my "early" RT be able to utilize the wiring adapter that was actually intended for the "early" RTP for a "plug-in" installation?

Dear "1analguy",

I suggest use of an excellent aftermarket product on your 05RT. I am using it on mine and it is the best product I have used for several reasons:

It is programmable - it controls the LED tail light on the bike and adds additional programmable LED's;

It is easy to install;

Does not interfere with CanBus:

Excellent customer service from the inventor - a BMW rider.

The product are called P3 lights from Skene Design in Virginia. Here is a picture of them mounted (but not activated) on my RT:

LINK To Skene Design

331921078_7kYz5-M.jpg

I already have a similar product from Hyper-Lites and they're just fine, but I'd like to add the BMW factory RTP light as well...

The RT & RTP harnesses are different. The US RTP also has an additional US specific harness. I haven't seen the physical connection for the low rear LED lamp, but based on the high mount internal rear lamp, it is probably attached to the US Authorities harness. So, I'm pretty sure there is no plug-n-play for that lamp on a standard RT.

Plug and play R1200RT just out last week.16 led brake light mounts to lisense plate and harness plugs into brakelight plug.Canbus freindly.Flashes four times then solid.$129 for light and $39 for harness.63 00 0 445 578 for light. For A harness which is for R1200Rt 61 00 0 445 579.

So tell us more. Does it work on all years of 1200RT? Have you seen it/installed it?

Yes I installed it this past week and it works great.Less than a half hour to install.This is for Canbus bikes.

I went to Max BMW's web site and pulled up the part number on their online fische. The description that comes up is "LED Brake Light Deluxe '06>" So it may not work with the 2005 R1200RT.

tomm51,
Any chance your bike is an '05?

My bike is a 2008.63 00 0 445 578 is for 2006 forward. 63 21 0419 461 is for pre 2005 according to box.

My bike is a 2008.63 00 0 445 578 is for 2006 forward. 63 21 0419 461 is for pre 2005 according to box.

To which box? The one that your brake light came in?

It still doesn't answer the question of whether or not either of these works on a 2005 or 2006 bike since BMW labled one for 'greater than 2006' and the other 'less than 2005'

Since they labled this new brake light 'greater than 2006' it makes me wonder if it only works with Canbus bikes that have the new non-servo braking system since the 2005-2006 bikes have Canbus with a servo braking system.

Anyone out there work at a dealership and can get some answers for us? I really liked having this brake light on my 2002 RT... I'm really hoping to learn if this new one is compatible with a 2005 RT.

I ordered a set to go on my 07 RT after seeing them on a police bike.The dealer said that they would work,or they thought that they should work.After several attempts ,the dealer said that the lights would only go on the RTP series.A full refund was issued.Sure would like to have them on my bike.It makes a world of difference as to being seen

Vic
Maylene,Alabama
07 RT and loving every mile

Ride like there tring to kill you,they are

I will check with Bogarts (Alabama BMW) and Atlanta BMW tomorrow morning .If they say it will work,I"ll order one and post pictures as soom as it comes in.

Vic

The box is not to clear.It states the following. This kit is available for BMW Motorcycles equipped with the newer electronic technology introduced on 2005 models.For pre-2005 models refer to the model application chart below for part numbers. After this stickers from Max BMW cover much of the writing. Model year pre=2005 kit includes light and harness 63 21 0 419 461. for 2006 forward 63 00 0 445 578 for light and 61 00 445 579 for r12 harness. Max from Max BMW showed me the E=Mail that had just came in and they ordered 30 lights and 15 r12 harnesses and 15 K bike harnesses.For the K bikes the harness number is 61 00 445 580. They have them in stock. 603-964-2877.I believe servo brakes came on 2006 bikes but not on 2007 forward. The hyper lites on my 04 Gt gave a little better light show but I am very happy with these.I put on about a thousand miles since installing them with no Problems .I will try to post some pictures but it might take me awhile.

Back