Thread: running bikes indoors

running bikes indoors

Anybody have any experience rigging up something to get exhaust emissions outside so that here in the great frozen north we can tune and troubleshoot a bike during the winter?

Automotive shops have these big hoses that they attach to a fixture in a door or wall. Who makes them? Where can one be had, or better yet, how can one be fabricated? Red Green would use duct tape somewhere in the recipe

Rally Rat
    Check McMaster Carr or Grainger catalogs or on-line. Both are industrial tool & equipment suppliers. Or find the industrial supply district of your local big town and explore.

I've never thought of doing that. I do all the mechanical stuff indoors during the Winter and run the bike outside in the Spring when it's warm but there is still snow and the road salt isn't gone.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Rally Rat
    +1 for Grainger. A metal dryer vent and metal flex hose, like what is used for better quality dust collectors, found at a local woodworking supply store would also work..

Exhaust

Go to Lowes or other home improvement store and by the metal duct work for a clothes dryer vent. I bought one that stretches out to about six feet long. Works for me and it was cheap. That and a fan to blow on the engine while it is running and I am in business.

ok, but...

Do you think an exhaust fan is necessary, something in-line with the dryer hose to help push the bad fumes thru the vent? Something to make it more active rather than jsut a passive flow?

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephYudin View Post
    Do you think an exhaust fan is necessary, something in-line with the dryer hose to help push the bad fumes thru the vent? Something to make it more active rather than jsut a passive flow?
    If you need an exhaust vent fan, check out your local marine supply. They come in several sizes and run on 12vdc so you can power it from the bike. Or, you could get a 110VAC air conditioner duct booster fan, but it doesn't move as much air as the marine engine room vent fan does of a comparable size.

Hope this helps.
    Tom