• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Welcome!

I

Ian

Thanks to the efforts of some very dedicated and talented people, this year's Rally forum takes a light-year step forward.

If you have a question or a comment about the Rally, this is the place to post it. Just click the "new thread" button above, which starts a new discussion about your question or comment.

To post a question, you must register first.

However, before starting a new thread, be sure to check previous threads in the Rally forum to see if someone else has asked the same question.

We hope that you enjoy this new forum format... please be sure to tell us what you think. There's much more to come, and it will all be based on your feedback and suggestions.

The BMW MOA Forum team.

:clap

Oldest thread I can find

So, I was trying to find the very first thread on the forums for historical preservation of course, this is the earliest date I can find. I've done a couple of searches now, and got this thread twice. If someone can find another earlier thread that would be cool, consider the challenge flag thrown.
Plus I wonder who Ian the guest may be, I have my suspicions.

Well, this line from the thread implies that there was an earlier form of the forum... "this year's Rally forum takes a light-year step forward."

Well, this line from the thread implies that there was an earlier form of the forum... "this year's Rally forum takes a light-year step forward."

Yeah I read that too. But 1000 miles would imply an improvement over paper media, light years, would imply improvement from stone carvings, unless of course, this Ian fellow was prone to exaggeration.

I've heard tell of the forum before the forum... If such a beast exists it probably has died with no fossile record. If however this thread is the holy grail of threads from the modern forum... Someone contact King Arthur.

Wow. This is a blast from the past.

Prior to this forum, the MOA would set up a very primitive threaded conversation page where people would post questions and others could reply, kind of like Reddit, but really, really primitive. It always got spammed and there weren't any moderation tools, either.

At the time, mailing lists still ruled and the IBMWR list was still generating hundreds of posts a day. And then ADVRider.com came around. I knew some folks that had left the Micapeak GS Mailing list for there and they invited me over, namely, Fish. When we saw what was going on at Adv, we knew this club needed something that would help members talk to other members. Remember - no Facebook. No fora. Phones only made calls, even cell phones. There was an MOA mailing list, but it was paltry and nobody used it, except to bitch about the rally.

Rob Nye was serving on the board then and Rob and I both knew Ian Schmeisser. The three of us kind of conspired to get this place up and running. I think Ian installed the software, vBulletin. We poked at it for a week or so, then went live on the day the U.S. invaded Iraq. I remember being very proud when we finally crossed 500 registered users, but it took a while.

I know there are earlier threads, but that would probably require admin access, something I relinquished ages and ages ago. Check some of the older threads like How to make an avatar and how to post a picture. Those were new concepts back then, as just about nobody had a digital camera back then.

I'm really proud that this place is still up and running and people are willing to volunteer to help out. :wave

Wow. This is a blast from the past.

Prior to this forum, the MOA would set up a very primitive threaded conversation page where people would post questions and others could reply, kind of like Reddit, but really, really primitive. It always got spammed and there weren't any moderation tools, either.

At the time, mailing lists still ruled and the IBMWR list was still generating hundreds of posts a day. And then ADVRider.com came around. I knew some folks that had left the Micapeak GS Mailing list for there and they invited me over, namely, Fish. When we saw what was going on at Adv, we knew this club needed something that would help members talk to other members. Remember - no Facebook. No fora. Phones only made calls, even cell phones. There was an MOA mailing list, but it was paltry and nobody used it, except to bitch about the rally.

Rob Nye was serving on the board then and Rob and I both knew Ian Schmeisser. The three of us kind of conspired to get this place up and running. I think Ian installed the software, vBulletin. We poked at it for a week or so, then went live on the day the U.S. invaded Iraq. I remember being very proud when we finally crossed 500 registered users, but it took a while.

I know there are earlier threads, but that would probably require admin access, something I relinquished ages and ages ago. Check some of the older threads like How to make an avatar and how to post a picture. Those were new concepts back then, as just about nobody had a digital camera back then.

I'm really proud that this place is still up and running and people are willing to volunteer to help out. :wave

Talk about ATUS (All The Usual Suspects):wave

We always stand on the shoulders who went before.

For those who don't know, Dave served as President for several years and the MOA made great strides during his tenure. I had the pleasure of seeing Dave and Tina at Port Townsand WA a couple of years ago. Was good to catch up again.

Thanks for all you have done. :thumb

Hey! It was my pleasure to be able to help. I'm honored to have had an opportunity.

And it was great to run into you and start to see you again around the Internet motosphere, man.

So, I was trying to find the very first thread on the forums for historical preservation of course, this is the earliest date I can find. I've done a couple of searches now, and got this thread twice. If someone can find another earlier thread that would be cool, consider the challenge flag thrown.
Plus I wonder who Ian the guest may be, I have my suspicions.

:ha

:hide

Reminds me of the Message board we used for the 2000 rally in Midland. Those were the days, my friend............

Reminds me of the Message board we used for the 2000 rally in Midland. Those were the days, my friend............

... why it's the very same one.

(it was built using a function within Microsoft Front Page, the web site management tool from hell)

Volunteers - Billings

I was asked by a fellow rider at the BMW Dealership if volunteers pay to go to the Rally. I told him I would post his question as he is not a MOA member. Not to worry I gave him the info to join!

As far as I know, members pay their own way to the rally, volunteer or not. Being a volunteer is a way of helping the organization, becoming involved, and getting to know other members at the same time.

Everybody pays. When I was president I paid. Volunteering is how we throw this party for each. The whole deal is run and staffed by volunteers with help from the home office staff.

Everyone pays to attend the rally. The Rally Chairs that have worked on this for thousands of hours over the last two years pay the same as everyone one else. Steve

Technically speaking, if you didn't have to pay to attend, wouldn't the cost deferment be a form of compensation, and thereby turn the official title of the position from volunteer to paid staff?

Back