• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

experiment: you folks write the sig line policy

I was wondering if and how all existing sig lines could be filtered by the software to comply with any new rules as well as filtering the creation/modification of sig lines which is now being done. Again I doubt it could filter for all content such political statements and such. I know it has a keyword list of four-letter words but much beyond that ??? and how about filtering links, i.e. all links and graphics? I just don't see the mods going thru all 4000 plus (or whatever the number is) member sig lines looking for non-compliant sig lines.
Or
just starting fresh and removing all existing sig lines, though I imagine that would bring its own problems and complaints from some users, esp. those that do not log in often and then come in and see thiers have disapeared, there have been more than one incident of complaints that thier sig line was changed without thier knowledge, (although its never actually been done to my knowledge(?) ).

So its a matter of which way would be smoothest and least troublesome for both mods and users as well as the admin(s) and what is actually possible with the existing software.
RM

Parse existing sig lines to be compliant with whatever policy is in force at that time.

Length, links, smilies, color, font sizes etc, etc, etc.

There is no automated way to enforce the signature standards in vanilla vB. This board runs on 3.6.4. The board I administer is on 3.6.8. I recently enacted a new signature policy because we had a major issue with signatures , see below.

attachment.php

This is the policy I used there:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showpost.php?p=552801&postcount=29

Granted, for what we look at here, that is a bit much. But in our small tight nit group, it suits us.

After making those changes I basically stated to the membership that I could not automate the process, so I made up a form letter and PMed each user who's signature was not in compliance to change it by a given date/time or it would be deleted. I sent the users a private message on an 'as seen' basis. Meaning if I saw a signature that was not in compliance, I sent the PM at that time. I am sure it's not 100%, but for what we have it worked.

Parse existing sig lines to be compliant with whatever policy is in force at that time.

Length, links, smilies, color, font sizes etc, etc, etc.

Serious question: why?

-This is where I start getting a little defiant.-

WHY? Who's being harmed by the rare non-compliant sig? As soon as that user edits their sig, they'll be compliant. If there's a sig that's grossly over the line and offends, tell a mod or me.

I honestly can't believe the number of hours that have poured into this.

Serious question: why?

-This is where I start getting a little defiant.-

WHY? Who's being harmed by the rare non-compliant sig? As soon as that user edits their sig, they'll be compliant. If there's a sig that's grossly over the line and offends, tell a mod or me.

I honestly can't believe the number of hours that have poured into this.

I don't care what it is. It should be the same for all members.

It is simply a matter of fairness. If you can not see that then there is no need for further conversation.

I'm done.

Vbulletin, or at least our version, will NOT reconfigure users' sig lines whenever the parameters of what is or isn't allowed is changed. I can only imagine the s**t storm if we edited everyone's signatures.

It is certainly possible to write a little script to do so.

Is it worth the trouble? I would have said no, but considering all the hand wringing over this incredibly tiny detail in our lives, I guess it is. I wouldn't have thought people could be this wound up over something so petty.

Did you know that there are people dying all over the world right now and we could do something to prevent some of it? That you probably have a lawn that needs mowing? That you should tell your family you love them? Instead of that, we're in here debating character limits in a signature on a forum for a motorcycle club. Geez.

Get a grip. I'm gonna try to.

p.s. RM, this isn't directed at you. It's mostly directed at myself. :wave

pertty much what I thought and yeah, killing everyones sig ling outright would not in my view be a very good move either. So that leaves it to the membership self-policing and mods sending out gentle reminders to those are not as they become aware of them and ask for the understanding co-operation of the membership. I just don't see any other way. nor do I think this is an "forum shaking" issue quite frankly, I see very few sig lines and I could call overboard by the current standards.

And yes, I take it VERY personally! :stick

and what would a little yellow bird know of life, anyway?? HuH?? HuH??

RM

pertty much what I thought and yeah, killing everyones sig ling outright would not in my view be a very good move either. So that leaves it to the membership self-policing and mods sending out gentle reminders to those are not as they become aware of them and ask for the understanding co-operation of the membership. I just don't see any other way. nor do I think this is an "forum shaking" issue quite frankly, I see very few sig lines and I could call overboard by the current standards.

And yes, I take it VERY personally! :stick

and what would a little yellow bird know of life, anyway?? HuH?? HuH??

RM

I'm just lookin' for a coal mine. :bottle

Why?
:dunno

I am bored. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Alternate ÔÇô username was trolling when he started the thread (and should be banned for doing so). I bit but can't spit out the bait.
:jose

Alternate ÔÇô Alternate ÔÇô Knary should be banned for raising a valid point in an otherwise pointless discussion.
:clap

Alternate  Alternate  Alternate  Burnzilla told me I dont play well with others. Shhhthere is learning going on here.
:rofl

Scott, I am shocked that you would be surprised at our wasting time. It is what we do best.
:hide

It wasn't broke to begin with so the change certainly didn't do much to alleviate anything. Especially given the attention it's gotten after the so called "solution".

If commercial sigs are the issue then simply prohibit all commercial links and allow folks using the board for monetary purposes to have a special vendors area of the forum where they can post a link to their services with perhaps 2 lines to indicate their business focus. IE motorcycle parts, painting, plumbing, psychiatry or whatever.

Can't we all just along together?

To paraphrase Rodney King shortly before he won a multi-million dollar law suit against LA.

I'd play better with others if I could do it in blue font.

Back