• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Amber Faceshields?

R

RTNewbie

I love amber sunglasses. I need to replace my faceshield. Why not get an amber faceshield.

Anyone have any input?

I just got mine and I will try it tomorrow night. It should increase visibility with poor light conditions, at least that's the idea with an orange/ambar filter.

You can always keep the original clear one in your tankbag for if/when the light gets too low for the tinted one. Mine is in a protective sleeve (came with my helmet-bag I think) and fits perfectly inside the butt end of my Marsee 15-liter.

I really liked my amber shield on my last helmet, but I hated to have to switch shields back and forth. It's much easier to put sunglasses on and off, which can be done at a stop light.

Many states (i.e. WI) require that 1/2 hour before sunset and not until 1/2 hour after sunrise, may the operator of a motorcycle use anything other than a clear lens of any kind (glasses, shields, windshields, goggles, etc.).

Better check with your state laws before assuming anything.

Ride Safe!

I really liked my amber shield on my last helmet, but I hated to have to switch shields back and forth. It's much easier to put sunglasses on and off, which can be done at a stop light.

I think the amber sunglasses are the way to go. Simple and flexible.

I would not go with anything other than a clear face shield if I were you. Weather changes out on the road - just your luck it will happen when you don't have the right shield.

I wear Serengeti "Velocity" sunglasses - they have titanium frames and the lenses are a gradient that less available light to filter in the top half of the lens and more in the bottom half, where you are likely to be looking down and reading your instruments (designed for aviators). For enhanced vision in hazy conditions and filtering out UV haze (which actually does increase your vision in certain types of light conditions often encountered in polluted daylight environments) the Serengeti glasses are superior to regular amber sunglasses.

Having sunglasses under the face shield allows you to simply remove them and pop them into your tank bag if it clouds up and starts raining. I rode several hundred miles in heavy rain yesterday across Ohio and West Virginia and it was very useful to be able to change in and out of the sunglasses several times.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I rode w/ sunglasses until two years ago. The tinted shield (whatever color) is a lot more comfortable, I'd never go back.

Though if I were riding into the west and the sun was in my face, I'd not likely swap to clear until AFTER it went down.

For enhanced vision in hazy conditions and filtering out UV haze (which actually does increase your vision in certain types of light conditions

What amber lenses do is to improve contrast. For me, that's an improvement in my vision, especially at night.

Last edited:
Theory is - amber lenses filter out blue - which causes scattering of light - which decreases effective contrast. IE - Amber = higher contrast. They were very popular when I was dirty bike riding in the 70's and 80's to help make trees you were about to run into stand out better so you could avoid them. There are some sold under the brand name "BluBlocker" I believe.

This is probably especially useful to those of us with somewhat older eyes, where pre-cataract conditions exist. The pre-cataract causes additional light scattering, and removing the blue components will help with less scattering in the lens of your eye.

http://www.eyecarebiz.com/article.aspx?article=50412

I'm not an eye doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express.. but I've had some interest in lighting, and how lighting/color effects vision.. and I've used amber lenses and liked them.

Another option is a removable, amber inner-shield like the Pinlock. It would provide the amber tint you want while still being removable for night riding and you get the anti-fog properties as a bonus. Assuming it's available for your helmet in the US (or can otherwise get the install kit).

Michael

Last edited:
Amber faceshields

Went to and anti-fog faceshield on my Shoei after my sunglasses bit the dust in Wall, SD. Put your sunglasses in a safe place when fueling.

HD2BMW

It's much easier to put sunglasses on and off, which can be done at a stop light.

I agree.

For me sunglasses are the way to go. Here's a link to what I bought for myself, my wife and daughter.

http://www.galeton.com/item_group.asp?GroupID=136&CategoryID=19

These have proven to be darn near perfect. The ear pieces are flat and slip into the helmet easily. They are actually marketed as safety glasses and are impact resistant, and you just can't beat the price.

I bought one pair of grey, amber and clear for each of us.

A few years ago I had an amber face shield on my Shoei helmet. I really liked it. I think it was called "High definition Amber" I could see well enough to ride at night too. Granted I also rode a 350 at the time so I wasn't barreling down the highway at 90mph.

Good thread. Reminded me to contact Shuberth to see if I can get their amber (called "brown") inner-sunshield for my Concept-2 helmet...

And since I'm going to the eyeglass store tonight, ordering glasses, guess I'll have to see about amber clip-ons.. :bolt

I agree.

For me sunglasses are the way to go. Here's a link to what I bought for myself, my wife and daughter.

http://www.galeton.com/item_group.asp?GroupID=136&CategoryID=19

These have proven to be darn near perfect. The ear pieces are flat and slip into the helmet easily. They are actually marketed as safety glasses and are impact resistant, and you just can't beat the price.

I bought one pair of grey, amber and clear for each of us.

I would be extremely cautious about using inexpensive industrial safety glasses out in exposed sunlight. They are basically designed to prevent flying particles from physically impacting the eyeball, not to filter out light. Their amber color will filter out some available light, causing your eyes to dialate. If they dialate in sunlight, then the larger aperture allows more invisible, and very harmful, light into yor eye - both ultraviolet and infrared. This can have serious negative long-term health consequences.

While price should not be the only consideration in purchasing sungalsses, you really need to make sure they have:

impact resistance
UV protection
filter an acceptable amount of visible light for your personal preference/
[*]impact resistance
[/LIST]
[/LIST]

Amber face shield for me

Sunglasses would be great... if I didn't wear prescription glasses. I also have Transition lenses which don't work very well inside the helmet. So, the tinted shield on my Shoei is right for me. My wife also has one on her helmet as it also keeps our faces from sun burning without all the sunscreen mess. I tried the clear shield and it seems hotter in the Summer than the tinted one. JMO. Cheers,

Ronnie

I have clear shields, but always use tinted shields and don't ride at night. I keep a pair of clear safety glasses on the bike just in case I get stuck riding when dark. I can then remove the tinted shield and still safely see.

FunnyHelmets.jpg

Back