• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Service Manual

swall

I am embarassed to post this, as I have seen it before but forgot where it was. Who has the service procedures available for the Hexheads? I have the factory CD, but after having it print out 8 pages of torque specs when I thought I was printing out valve clearances, I just pulled out the CD and quit.

May be a dumb question but is the Haynes manual covering the R1200RT from 04 to 06 still good for an '08? I am assuming little has changed?

I read somewhere that some 07RT's have servo brakes. The build date on my bike is late 06 but it is a 07 model. Is there any obvious differences or do I have to pull the tank and look for the additional fluid resivors on the abs unit? I rode a 04RT and it had no stopping power with the key off. My brakes feel the same with the key off. The 04 made a high pitched whine when appling the brakes. Mine makes a noise that sounds like a crunch on initial application and then are quiet.

I read somewhere that some 07RT's have servo brakes. The build date on my bike is late 06 but it is a 07 model. Is there any obvious differences or do I have to pull the tank and look for the additional fluid resivors on the abs unit? I rode a 04RT and it had no stopping power with the key off. My brakes feel the same with the key off. The 04 made a high pitched whine when appling the brakes. Mine makes a noise that sounds like a crunch on initial application and then are quiet.

The 07 RT does not have traditional servo ABS brakes. It does have a servo in the brakes, but it does not effect the normal operation of the brakes.

Jim :brow

As mentioned, the 07-08 has a different brake system, though it is simpler to bleed.

Dear master Jim
my bike is R1150R 2004 ABS II = 「Partially integral brakes」,
your video DVD's bleed procedures can be used for my bike ??
or not easy bleed ABS II of my bike ??
thanks

Last edited:
Dear master Jim
my bike is R1150R 2004 ABS II = 「Partially integral brakes」,
your video DVD's bleed procedures can be used for my bike ??
or not easy bleed ABS II of my bike ??
thanks

For the 04 Servo-ABS you would need the R1200 DVD, and yes, your brakes are covered on it.

Thanks,

crunch?

I have about the same model (unpowered brakes, build date, etc.) I don't hear a 'Crunch' when I apply the brakes. Anyone else with an '07 hear that.

Dunno where you read this.. I believe it's wrong (of course if it was on the World-Wide-Interweb it must be right.. :) )

The servo brakes whine, and braking is not the same on/off ignition. When you say "My brakes feel the same with the key off" I'm assuming you mean they feel the same with the key on or off..?

My bike is also a late '06 build (October) - and no servo brakes.

The stopping power feels the same key on or off. The 04 I had for a loaner had no stopping power with the key off (I noticed this just moving it around in the garage). I read that not all 07's have non servo brakes on the Internet BMW Riders mailing list. Thats the only place I have heard that. I am going to flush my brake fluid this fall and until I read that, I was going to take the cap off open the bleeder and let it run while adding to the master cylinder until it runs clean. I know the servo brakes have additional resiviors on the hcu and they have to be bled seperately. If your shure all 07's are non servo I'll just go ahead with my plan. If you have any doubt let me know and I'll pull the tank to check. I trust your opinion so let me know.

The stopping power feels the same key on or off. The 04 I had for a loaner had no stopping power with the key off (I noticed this just moving it around in the garage). I read that not all 07's have non servo brakes on the Internet BMW Riders mailing list. Thats the only place I have heard that. I am going to flush my brake fluid this fall and until I read that, I was going to take the cap off open the bleeder and let it run while adding to the master cylinder until it runs clean. I know the servo brakes have additional resiviors on the hcu and they have to be bled seperately. If your shure all 07's are non servo I'll just go ahead with my plan. If you have any doubt let me know and I'll pull the tank to check. I trust your opinion so let me know.
Not all '07's have ABS brakes - but none have servo brakes. Don't believe everything you read on the IBMWR (or anywhere on the web for that matter..)

Flushing the brakes on the '07 is the same as "old-fashioned" bikes - start at the top with fresh fluid and work your way down.

General Service

I am looking for a service manual to help me with the routine maintenance of my 2008 R1200GSA. Also, looks like I do have a drain for the final drive but not sure where the filler plug is if there is one.

gpodzo

Easy way to tell if you have non-servo brakes is there is a bleeder valve next to the brake reservoir. No bleeder indicates the brake are servo-assisted.

Oh, and the filler for the final drive oil is the ABS sensor.

Thanks Don. I'll be flushing my fluid in the not to distant future.

Back