• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bing diaphragm change question

535IS

This looks pretty straightforward, but I have one question in which the Clymer manual is unusually silent:

Do I really need to pull the carbs to change the diaphragm? It looks like the top cover is all that really needs to come off to get the assembly out and, quite frankly, this is one reason I got rid of a Honda Shadow in favor of an Airhead. Those (Bing) babies are just hangin' out there begging to be worked on without a fuss. :D

Hi,
I sold my last airhead in around 2000, but I have changed many diaphragms without removing the carbs from the bike. Disconnect everything between the top and body of the carb - screws, cables, return spring. Lift off the top. Remove the diaphragm and piston. Unscrew the old diaphragm and attach the new diaphragm, making sure the bulge in the diaphragm fits into the depression in the piston. Replace the diaphragm and piston, making sure the needle goes easily into the jet and the bulge in the outer ring of the diaphragm fits into the depression in the carb body. Replace the screws, coating the threads with a slight amount of anti-seize. Reattach the cables and the return spring. Start the bike and go for a ride - 10 miles is good. Now adjust the carbs, if necessary.

Definitely possible, especially easy if you have the slot connectors on the throttle and choke (enricher) cables. And of course carefully remove the choke spring from the top. If you have a nut to hold the choke cable onto the lever (and one for the throttle), its a bit of a pain, but could still be done. If you get a chance, might want to consider switching over to slot mounts.

It might be useful (next time you have the carbs off to squeeze the lower end of the choke spring bend such that it is (essentially) captive on the choke lever. That way, if you pull up on the top end, gently with needle nose pliers, the spring doesn't fall off.

I am sure it could be done.

The carbs are not that difficult to remove. Depending on the carbs and the diaphrams, it is fairly easy for the diaphram to shift slightly out of position as you install the dome. When I replace them like to operate the slide several times and examine the slide alignment to make sure everthing is in the proper place. I expect there are many methods that work. Good luck.

It would be nice if you can get the tops off with the carbs in place. Be advised that the slotted screws can be difficult to break loose. The last time I did a set of carbs, I ended up having to put them in a vise with the float bowls on and strike the screws with an impact driver and a hammer to make them release. If you have to resort to this kind of operation, be sure to cushion all contact points with folded up rags.

It would be nice if you can get the tops off with the carbs in place. Be advised that the slotted screws can be difficult to break loose. The last time I did a set of carbs, I ended up having to put them in a vise with the float bowls on and strike the screws with an impact driver and a hammer to make them release. If you have to resort to this kind of operation, be sure to cushion all contact points with folded up rags.

and then replace the screws with stainless steel with never-seez

Back