Thread: Bing diaphragm change question

535IS

Bing diaphragm change question

This looks pretty straightforward, but I have one question in which the Clymer manual is unusually silent:

Do I really need to pull the carbs to change the diaphragm? It looks like the top cover is all that really needs to come off to get the assembly out and, quite frankly, this is one reason I got rid of a Honda Shadow in favor of an Airhead. Those (Bing) babies are just hangin' out there begging to be worked on without a fuss.

If you can get the throttle and choke cables off without moving the carbs ... go for it.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Hi,
    I sold my last airhead in around 2000, but I have changed many diaphragms without removing the carbs from the bike. Disconnect everything between the top and body of the carb - screws, cables, return spring. Lift off the top. Remove the diaphragm and piston. Unscrew the old diaphragm and attach the new diaphragm, making sure the bulge in the diaphragm fits into the depression in the piston. Replace the diaphragm and piston, making sure the needle goes easily into the jet and the bulge in the outer ring of the diaphragm fits into the depression in the carb body. Replace the screws, coating the threads with a slight amount of anti-seize. Reattach the cables and the return spring. Start the bike and go for a ride - 10 miles is good. Now adjust the carbs, if necessary.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Definitely possible, especially easy if you have the slot connectors on the throttle and choke (enricher) cables. And of course carefully remove the choke spring from the top. If you have a nut to hold the choke cable onto the lever (and one for the throttle), its a bit of a pain, but could still be done. If you get a chance, might want to consider switching over to slot mounts.

It might be useful (next time you have the carbs off to squeeze the lower end of the choke spring bend such that it is (essentially) captive on the choke lever. That way, if you pull up on the top end, gently with needle nose pliers, the spring doesn't fall off.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

sumran
    I am sure it could be done.

The carbs are not that difficult to remove. Depending on the carbs and the diaphrams, it is fairly easy for the diaphram to shift slightly out of position as you install the dome. When I replace them like to operate the slide several times and examine the slide alignment to make sure everthing is in the proper place. I expect there are many methods that work. Good luck.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    So when can I expect you at the shop to tweak the carbs after you're done?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep
    MOA Biergarten co-chair

James.A
    It would be nice if you can get the tops off with the carbs in place. Be advised that the slotted screws can be difficult to break loose. The last time I did a set of carbs, I ended up having to put them in a vise with the float bowls on and strike the screws with an impact driver and a hammer to make them release. If you have to resort to this kind of operation, be sure to cushion all contact points with folded up rags.

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnsteel View Post
    It would be nice if you can get the tops off with the carbs in place. Be advised that the slotted screws can be difficult to break loose. The last time I did a set of carbs, I ended up having to put them in a vise with the float bowls on and strike the screws with an impact driver and a hammer to make them release. If you have to resort to this kind of operation, be sure to cushion all contact points with folded up rags.
    and then replace the screws with stainless steel with never-seez
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?ícalo)
    Adventures at the Cave

sumran
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    I not sure when I'll be in the neighborhood, but it will be high on my list when I get there.

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    Well, it mighta' been today, but ...