• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

650 GS windshield: Wife needs your help.

B

boatride

Wife is 5'9" and needs more wind protection. We have the Cee Bailey 18" windshield but it is more of a fairing and does not provide needed wind protection. Don't think 22" Cee Bailey will offer any more protection. Any suggestions on more vertical windshields or deflectors so we (I) can keep riding? A&S has a deflector, any one have any feedback?? Help!!!! 2007 650 GS

That is a question you can ask 6 people and get twelve different answers. I have tried; Ermax, Factory, Cee Bailey's 17", 2 modified Vetter Quicksilver and currently use a ZedTechnik. None of them offer really great wind protection. but at least the ZedTechnik isn't butt ugly! I did modify it for a more upright position which helped a bit. A lot of people seem to like the Wunderlich, especially on the newer bikes with 4 screw mounting. Look through this F650.com FAQ.
http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/AftermarketWindshields.htm

The fact is with the small area we have to work with on the F650s nothing is going to be perfect. If you want total wind and noise protection get a Goldwing. :D My old '82 Silverwing (Same fairing as Goldwing of that era) gives that kind of protection.

Last edited:
Windscreen

Allow me to be one of the 6.
One of the best answers I have came from someone who rides an RT with adjustable windscreen. He was saying that since the RT has electric and adjustable windscreen, you tend to move the screen down for city and up for highway depending on relative speed and wind direction.
SSoooo, the short of it is, to get a similar effect on the 650, try inserting rubber washers in the two top most screens effectively pushing the top of the windscreen away from the rider. At highway speeds, this will deflect more wind up and over the rider.

Steve

Wsu77

If you haven't exhausted all the other options that have been thrown out. Take a look at "Parabellum". They make a shield that fastens to the 650's handle bars and comes in various heights and tints(the stock shield can remain on the bike). A little time is required to install but as the season warms, the shield portion removes(a few screws) quickly leaving the stock windshield to allow a little more fresh air on the rider. Hava had great luck with my wifes and she has come thru a couple real monsoons without a drop on her.

Try this one

I'm also 5'9" and have tried many windscreens, including the Cee Bailey 22" screen with little improvement. I eventually stumbled across a combination that works very well. I bought a Wunderlich tall windscreen from BMW of Santa Cruz and added something called Mirco-Swirl Edging (http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm) and what a difference! I still get a little wind, just enough to stay cool, but nothing like it was before with the other windscreens. As a bonus, the wind noise in noticeably reduced. To see what it looks like, go to G & F Bikes Forum, Post a picture of your thumper thread and it's on page 10 (picture 137).

i have tried lots of windshields on my F650GS and the one i recommend is from the UK, an Ermax. not very popular but very effective. i was telling someone in Gillette how well it works and they swore there Cee Bailys was the best. i let them ride my bike and as soon as they got back they went online to order an Ermax. if you want PM me and will give there e-mail address so you can here there opinion first hand.

I'm also 5'9" and have tried many windscreens, including the Cee Bailey 22" screen with little improvement. I eventually stumbled across a combination that works very well. I bought a Wunderlich tall windscreen from BMW of Santa Cruz and added something called Mirco-Swirl Edging (http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm) and what a difference! I still get a little wind, just enough to stay cool, but nothing like it was before with the other windscreens. As a bonus, the wind noise in noticeably reduced. To see what it looks like, go to G & F Bikes Forum, Post a picture of your thumper thread and it's on page 10 (picture 137).

+1 My wife is 5'9" and rides a 650 with the same Wunderlich windshield/micro swirl combination as YellowJacket. Her's is the shorter windshield, but it works for her.

I am extremely pleased with the Parabellum that I put on my 650 . . . comes in various heights, and being a runt . . . check that . . . being vertically challenged . . . having the different heights was important to me. they are also very pleasant people to work with.

Floyd

Back