• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gear box blues

rc1200rt

My two year old 95 1100Gs is down and out. The dealer informed me, that the noise I beleived was from the final drive, but rather, it is the gear box. Plus the final drive may be damaged. The bike has 34K, 12k by me in the past two seasons. Should I seek a second opinion? For now, the repair will have to wait, especially since I was quoted $4-5K. I have a lot of new items invested, but that quote is almost what I paid for it two years ago. Or, should I part out the bike individually, or as a rolling chassis? Clean title.

I would look for a good used transmission. I saw one on e-bay a while back. they can be had for less than $ 1,000.00 good luck...

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about R1100 transmissions: Anton's transmission page.

I had the transmission in my R1100RS rebuilt about two years ago by Tom Cutter. 40k miles later, it shifts even better than when I first got it back. A rebuild will cost somewhere between $1k and $2k, depending on exactly what's wrong. (That assumes you take the trans out of the bike yourself - it's a pain but highly doable.) I'd feel more comfortable about a pro, like Anton or Tom, rebuilding the trans instead of potentially buying someone else's problems with a used one.

Back