• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Plug or Patch?

PatrickDonovan

I picked up 5/16" x 3" lag bolt in my back tire yesterday:violin ...not your average sized intrusion. I was able to use a standard tire plug kit and get home from work. This morning the plug came out on the way to work, I then used my BMW plug kit and CO2's to get it home. I'm concerned that because of the size of hole that a plug just wont stay. Will a patch from inside last the life of the tire or am I looking for a new tire:scratch ?

Sorry for you loss. That big of hole requires a tire replacment. Any plug or combination of plugs would prove unreliable.

Tech tire products make a patchplug you have to install from the inside, I would not be afraid of it.

The proper way to repair the tire is a plug and patch. Any hole over 3/16" should not be repaired. tough luck.

Ralph Sims

Replace. Better to replace and grumble about the cost than to grumble about being cheap while lying in a hospital bed. It is a real kick in the pants though. I had a spell where I went through 3 tires in a year. $$$$$:violin

I'm not at all afraid to patch or plug a tire and soldier on...

but even I have to agree that you should probably scrap that tire.

Nuts

What I fail to understand is how these things get stuck in our tires. If I asked someone to push a 5/16 x 3 inch bold in my tire, I doubt they could do that with any kind of tool short of a big drill. On the way to Gillette I pick up a small 1 inch machine screw. It was a chore just to screw it out. Is there a Flat Tire God whose job is just to make us suffer?

FlatTire.jpg

Usually they are only flat on the bottom side.

Ralph Sims

The mystery of flat tire object insertion would be an excellent topic for "Mythbusters". Stuff I've seen, besides nails and screws--ball point pen and a portion of a small open end wrench.

It was once explained to me that the front tire flips up whatever is about to pierce your back tire, the better to position it for said piercing.
Makes sense to me, but that could just be more of the "flat earth syndrome".

Back