• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dang! My head hurts! (Flip-up Helmet Advice)

Hi All,

I'm currently using a full-face Arai due to the general design for oblong-shaped heads (longer front to back, narrower from side to side). Even with the Arai, I still get a pretty good headache after a few hours of use.

I am interested in a flip-up helmet and don't mind paying money for solid safety/comfort. I just don't want to drop $500 to find out that my head hurts after a few hours.

Does anyone have a head like mine and a flip-up helmet that is comfortable? I appreciate any/all help.

Thanks!:thumb

Marley

Try a HJC Sy-max II, just received mine a week after the rally and HJC has made big improvements over the original Sy-max which I owned for several years. This new model is a lot quieter then the original model and has the new flip up sun visor. I purchased the Sy-max II for $216.00 from www.newenough.com .

I always thought the Arai helmet fits a rounder head and a shoei fits a narrower one.
Might be worth a try. I wear an HJC and my head is round. So that one may not be a good choice for you.

I have Schuberths (both c1 and c2). The C2 fits my oblong head better than the C1. Both are confortable, quiet and vent well in hot weather/rain. They do need to wear in a little. The C2 was tight on my cheekbones for the first 300 miles or so..

Get an ice cream scoop and lightly compress the foam right at the "hot spot" - the place it is too tight.

Some might say it compromises the safety. I don't think so, and you can custom fit that expensive helmet and make it comfortable.

I use a Nolan NE102 flip up, it's comfortable. They are mid priced, and a big seller. Used HJC's in past years, and they are also comfortable. I got a round head (along with the rest of me) for sure. They are mid priced helmets. I got a Nolan at BikeBandit.com (with the AMA discount) for $216.

I tried a new Shoei flip up at a Honda dealer, and it was impressive. Price $495.

I would try to visit some dealers, and try on some helmets, to be sure. Arai helmets are in a class of their own when it comes to sizing.

Try a HJC Sy-max II, just received mine a week after the rally and HJC has made big improvements over the original Sy-max which I owned for several years. This new model is a lot quieter then the original model and has the new flip up sun visor. I purchased the Sy-max II for $216.00 from www.newenough.com .

I also purchased a HJC SY-MAX II and While I like the fit, Style, and drop down sun visor I can not keep the face shield up while riding down the road after a weeks use. Also a problem for other SY-MAX users. An email to HJC about this problem got a response of go buy a new shield. :scratch

It's not so much the brand as the specific helmet and the shape of the helmet. I recently replaced my Arai XD with a new Arai Quantum 2. The Quantum 2 fits my melon head very well - plenty of room. For grins, I tried on a new Arai Profile in the same size - the Profile is for a longer, narrower head. The Profile, on my head, was as uncomfortable as the Quantum 2 is comfortable - the Profile immediately pressed both sides of my head together and I could barely stand to have it on, even though it was the same size as my perfect-fit Quantum 2.

I have tried a couple of Shoei's - in particular a Syncro-Tec, and that thing presses into my forehead.

So, I guess the main thing is to go to a retailer and work with a salesperson who is knowledgeable, and try out different brands and styles until you find what works specifically for you.

I agree with BobFV1. The fit of the helmet is far more important than the brand. In order for a helmet to work properly it must properly.

As SJBMW said, visit some dealers. There is no substitute for trying on helmets. I would wear them for at least 10-15 min to see if they bother your head.

Anyway---That's my $0.02

I'm similar in head shape, plus a big mellon...I have a Shoei X-Eleven and their Multitec. BOTH are outstanding helmets. The X is SUPER light.

My name is PAGoldsby, and I support this message.

Also, the fabled girlfriend has a rather elongated cranium. She's in a L Sy-Max II, and she reports it to be very comfortable. Mine's an XL, and I was a bit concerned about it being too tight front-to-back, but after wearing it a few times, it's fitting quite right now.

I really want an Arai XD like Ewan and Charley have, but they're hard to find.

I always thought the Arai helmet fits a rounder head and a shoei fits a narrower one.
Might be worth a try. I wear an HJC and my head is round. So that one may not be a good choice for you.

I am not sure about that. I have a round head and the Arai's I tried pinched my cheeks so bad I could barely open my mouth. My old Shoei RF200 was very comfortable. I have a Nolan flip up now which is comfortable but there's not quite as much distance between the my chin and front of the helmet as I'd like, whereas the HJC seems to have plenty of room. I was thinking of buying an HJC but I am not too thrilled with the plastic locking mechanism.

I wear an HJC Sy-max and am very happy with it. Fortunately I live near a big online helmet seller over in Daytona who had lots of selection to actually try on.
Before settling on the Sy-Max I tried the Nolans and Schuberths, but they seemed to rub my lips and chin when opening and closing.

The only complaint I have with the HJC is the visor won't stay up at highway speeds after a few months of wear. New visors are cheap enough and mine are often in need or replacement anyway.

Another choice

I have two AGV, Miglia, Modular helmets and I am pleased with the weight (very light) and the fit. I understand the the AGV is the lightest modular available. The fit is typical of the Italian brands.

Which Arai are you wearing?

I tried on the Profile and it fit my narrow round head fairly well...that fit translated into a Shoei Syncrotec flip up perfectly...

I love the Shoei, metal to metal latches and very comfortable/cool. Not quite as light as my former HJC flip up, but the plastic chin guard hinges broke fairly quickly on the HJC.

I highly recommend trying to get to a larger rally (even for other "brands") to try one numerous helmets from different manufacturers...if that's not possible, I've used the ice cream scoop to push down the hotspots in the foam liner with great success as well!

Back