• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leak, NO leak & leak again... ???

swbell

So got the splines all lubed, rear and in the transmission. Since then there seems to be some transmission fluid leaking from around the rubber boot under the transmission but only after the LT has sat for 48hours. (yeah I know shouldn't let is set that long, but with four children I don't get out everyday) Anyways, I had a leak on the grarage floor after last weekend being away and then took off and I road on Wed a couple hundred miles. No leak on Thurs morning, No leak on Friday morning. Took another long ride on Friday <see blog> and was busy all day on Saturday. Went to the garage this afternoon and began to see a drip again. My 1st thought is their might be a bit too much transmission fluid. So I just getting input. Not sure I'm going to do anything about it other the RIDE MORE!!! :D . Then realize i can do something about it in the off season. Is there anything I'm missing?
thanks

Is there a crack in the swing arm boot or is it not properly seated to the transmission?

Thoroughly clean and degrease the back of the trans, go for a ride. It should be very apparent where the leak is coming from.

:dance :dance :dance

I suspect you're referring to the small accordian type boot that is where the clutch lever pushes on the clutch throwout bearing on the back of the transmission?

Check that the boot hasn't cracked. They do that sometimes with age and being disturbed. Also check that is is seated on the lip on the adjusting bolt. It forms a seal in a small recess in this special bolt. If the boot isn't seated right, it will leak a bit there.

B0000489.png

Part #6 must seal on Part #10.. (Image courtesy of MaxBMW..)

I suspect you're referring to the small accordian type boot that is where the clutch lever pushes on the clutch throwout bearing on the back of the transmission?

Check that the boot hasn't cracked. They do that sometimes with age and being disturbed. Also check that is is seated on the lip on the adjusting bolt. It forms a seal in a small recess in this special bolt. If the boot isn't seated right, it will leak a bit there.

B0000489.png

Part #6 must seal on Part #10.. (Image courtesy of MaxBMW..)

Actually part #6 seals on part#7.

Back