• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My First Rally! A pictorial! part one

jimvonbaden

Kool Aid Dispenser!
OK, I finally got them loaded, sized and ready to use.

The following is a pictorial story of my first official rally. The Square Route Rally in Thurmont Maryland and hosted by the BMWBMW club of the metro DC area. The number of participants was down because of the weather, but over 250 showed up anyhow!

I have to say up front, though I was complaining about the rain, mud and lack of riding, I had a fantastic time! I met, and enjoyed the company of many new friends, and several old ones! This is what I was looking for when I joined the club! A finer group of people you will never find anywhere!

Anyhow, I arrived with Jeff (RocketMan) on Friday morning to a deceptively dry and sunny place! We set up our tents near a beautiful pond and had a nice ride into town for some "refreshments!"

square-route-rally-2004-001.jpg

Since we were the first there, we had our pick of locations. Thanks John for the loan of the tent!

By early afternoon many other bikes had arrived and the scene was looking very promising.

square-route-rally-2004-005.jpg

Free soda and cheap beer were the order of the day, and many partook of it! This beer and soda was a lifesaver as the weekend wore on.

square-route-rally-2004-003.jpg

Friday evening there was a presentation by Iron Butt winner Paul Taylor. His description of the event and the requirements made me happy to be a mere weekend rider!

square-route-rally-2004-010.jpg

Chace was a perfect example of a growing segment of the new BMW crowd. Young, intelligent, fun and entheustic! She was a lot of fun, and not a bit shy!

square-route-rally-2004-009.jpg

By early evening the rain had started. It would be a fixture until late Sunday morning!

square-route-rally-2004-012.jpg

The rally hosted several other organizations such as the Vintage BMW club, Oilheads Club and several others.

square-route-rally-2004-015.jpg

By the next day the campground had become a study in mud and low traction.

square-route-rally-2004-021.jpg

The pavilion became many person's second home for the wet and cold day.

square-route-rally-2004-007.jpg

This little creek was nearly empty when I arrived, and by Saturday was a small river. This, by the way is a very dark place when you are trying to get back to your tent without a flashlight and half lit.

square-route-rally-2004-061.jpg

Stay tuned for part two.

Jim:brow

Part Two

Saturday the rain never really let up, but the Vintage club really gave it a valliant effort and displayed their finest in the rain. There were some great bikes there. Bob from Bob's BMW had his extremely rare pigmy sleeper with him. Some swear he slept in it! :lol: Just kidding, it was a fine example of a very rare Stieb sidecar!

square-route-rally-2004-002.jpg

My favorite was this incredibly rare /2 that had all original paint.

square-route-rally-2004-017.jpg

This is a super example of a /5 in rare red paint and so clean you could eat off it. He rode it 700+ miles from GA to be at the rally!

square-route-rally-2004-019.jpg

Another prime example of Vintage BMW. A super rare thumper.

square-route-rally-2004-020.jpg

I was amazed at the tenacity and good humor of the rally goers, despite the dismal weather. They stayed until Sunday, and had a good time.

square-route-rally-2004-021.jpg

Shane and our new friends were actually having a good time until I attempted a joke. Obviously my skills as a stand-up comedian need work.

square-route-rally-2004-023.jpg

One thing you can be sure of is the turnout for dinner! Especially if it is free and of excellent quality! The caterers were fantastic and tireless. They stayed open till midnight, and were ready to go at dawn!

square-route-rally-2004-030.jpg

Roland Slabon gave an incredible presentation on the life of the famous Ernest Henne as a celibration of his 100th birthday! Note the Frog Togs. Many were purchased this weekend, even by me! They really work, and were a value at $59.

square-route-rally-2004-032.jpg

Some of us gathered around the beer truck, where else, and showed our spirit, though I was actually drinking something a bit stronger! :lol:

square-route-rally-2004-034.jpg

After the official fastivities, the more adventurous of us gathered around a roaring fire in the on and off rain to drink and socialize! In my opinion, the best part of the rally! Here is Phil/Bill and Mike finally relaxing!

square-route-rally-2004-046.jpg

This fire kept a lot of us warm and happy, and was hot enough to melt glass.

square-route-rally-2004-043.jpg

The next morning a couple of kids and dad went fishing. They cought a few and proved that it isn't where you are, or how good the weather that makes for a good time, it is who you are with!

square-route-rally-2004-028.jpg

The mud around the pond on Sunday morning before the rest were up and packing.

square-route-rally-2004-024.jpg

Mother Nature wasn't about to leave us with one last nice day. The fog was very thick at times, and rain kept threatening as we packed our wet things.

square-route-rally-2004-058.jpg

All in all we had a great time, and I am looking forward to my next rally!

Jim :brow

Too bad the picture of me giving the finger didn't come out. Phil Bill blurred it or something? :dunno

Anyhow, Square Root was also my first rally and it was awesome, even with the rain - it forced me to sit around and talk to people all day on Saturday which I might not have done otherwise.
:beer

Next rally plans: Pemi Rally (Yankee Beemers in NH) and then, maybe Laurel Highlands Rally in PA, and yes, I will bring my titanium spork.

Chacifer said:
Too bad the picture of me giving the finger didn't come out. Phil Bill blurred it or something? :dunno

Anyhow, Square Root was also my first rally and it was awesome, even with the rain - it forced me to sit around and talk to people all day on Saturday which I might not have done otherwise.
:beer

Next rally plans: Pemi Rally (Yankee Beemers in NH) and then, maybe Laurel Highlands Rally in PA, and yes, I will bring my titanium spork.

LOL It came out, but I didn't think it was printable.

BTW I talked with you for hours and never noticed the tongue ring! :dunno

I'll likely be at the Laurel Rally! See you there. Also, we are riding on Saturday if you are up for it! No using the "studying for the LSAT excuse either. You will need a break by then!

Jim:brow :D

Nice report Jim

Good pics - even though you could have used a filter for all that bright sunshine. Me, I like to learn things - now I know there is somewhere besides Michigan where you can count on rainy week-ends.
Loved the vintage bikes. Thanks.

Re: Nice report Jim

Cliffy777 said:
Good pics - even though you could have used a filter for all that bright sunshine. Me, I like to learn things - now I know there is somewhere besides Michigan where you can count on rainy week-ends.
Loved the vintage bikes. Thanks.

Yeah, the one thing you can count on here in Northern VA is sunny weeks, and rainy weekends!:cry

Thanks for the comments!

Nice job, thanks for putting that up for us........ Nice to know there are places left where water still falls from the sky.....:p

Looked like a great time, I am also relatively new to motorcycle rallies, and I haven't had the pleasure of a rainy one (yet)..... Good to know there are people that will stick it out, and enjoy the weekend anyhow.

Good luck for some clear sunny skies and good riding at the next one.....:brow

JimVonBaden said:
BTW I talked with you for hours and never noticed the tongue ring!

The tongue isn't pierced anymore, my avatar is an old picture, from a couple of years ago. maybe I should update it.

Also, we are riding on Saturday if you are up for it! No using the "studying for the LSAT" excuse either. You will need a break by then!

Sorry but I have to use the "studying for the LSAT" excuse, or at least the, "resting up for the LSAT" excuse. Not to mention the "packing up my entire apartment so I can move out on Thursday" excuse. Yes, it's going to suck.
:coffee

Good times!

I was there, too. Actually a couple tents down. I never get or remember names so we may have even chewed the fat some.

Here is me and my bike for those that care.Mark's BMW Motorcycle Website
my_ride.jpg

This was my second year there and the second year of rain. At least last year I got in a great ride to Harper's Ferry. In spite of the rain I had a great time. The food was great, the beer was cold and the weather was perfect for sleeping late.

My next rally will most likely be the RA Rally in West Virginia this fall. Need to do family vacations during the summer months.

MarkF

P.S. Anyone I spoke with please drop me a note and a pic so I can start remembering names.

Hi Mark,

Were you doing some fishing there? I remember your bike because of the distinctive and very cool fairing! Hope you had fun like I did!

Chace,

I have a couple good pics of you I can send. One with a salute, :D and a couple others.

Nice bikes

Here is a pic of my fav bike from the rally. The rally folks agreed, too. They gave the owner a special award. What's the name of those big fuel tanks, again?

MarkF

Awesome! :clap :clap

Mark, I think that's a Hoske tank. (I think....)

I think Chacifer is a frustrated AdvRider.

KBasa said:
Awesome! :clap :clap

Mark, I think that's a Hoske tank. (I think....)

Hoske tank it is, I just couldn't think of the name!

Careful Dave! Chace is an aspiring Lawyer! :eek

lorazepam said:
Does she get that name from Salmon P. Chase?

If I remember right it is a family name! CHA"C"E.

Definitely a hell of a girl!

And yes, she said it was OK if I call her girl.:D

JimVonBaden said:
Hoske tank it is, I just couldn't think of the name!

Careful Dave! Chace is an aspiring Lawyer! :eek

No problemo. I've been working with lawyers for a full on 22 years now.

They don't scare me. :evil

KBasa said:

No, not at all frustrated, it's more that my computer usage fluctuates when I am in and out of school because during the summer I don't have to work on the computer.

Now that I graduated... who knows what'll happen.

Chace is a family name, and don't worry, I'm not going to be the type of lawyer who sues people. But before that even happens I need to take the LSATs. :cry

Back