• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are they /7 and new brake rotors

T

TEAM1MG

I have a 1982 R100RT and 83 R100RS. Are they consider to be /7 models. Also, where could I get new disc brake rotors for these bikes at a good price? Thank you for responding Team1mg

I think the /7 designation was discontinued before your bikes. However, as far as parts are concerned, there are many common parts. Rotors should be the same. Calipers would be different. Transmission, clutch, cylinders and pistions (yours are nikasil), ignition are among the different parts.

I have a 1982 R100RT and 83 R100RS. Are they consider to be /7 models. Also, where could I get new disc brake rotors for these bikes at a good price? Thank you for responding Team1mg

Yes, your bikes are both /7

I have bought brake rotors at Moto Bins In England, they buy parts from the manufacturers the sell to BMW. They are much cheaper than BMW!

http://www.motobins.co.uk/

Darryl

Thanks for the info on the model type.and the link have you delt with motobins.do you know about the OE brake roters from GRIMECA

Yes, your bikes are both /7 ...
Darryl

I don't believe that is correct. :stick

While many parts will fit (as Randy points out), there are enough differences that the designation is important especially when ordering from afar. Brake rotors probably aren't an issue...probably.

Here are just some of the differences that I found:

/7 airbox is a drum filter with an aluminum box. Your bikes have a flat filter with a top that has two ram air-like, forward facing tubes. The airbox is black (and plastic). You probably also have an emissions kit on it (I'd remov it to let the bike run cooler and breathe better) that the /7 bikes never had that has a 3/8" metal tube running from a port on the front, underside of each cylinder to the airbox (and egr-like diaphrams) and a tube running from one carb's vacuum port to the other (and equalizer I think it's called). All of which can safely be removed with a kit from Bob's BMW (or elsewhere) for about $10.00.

/7 Choke lever is located on the airbox, not the handle bar like the later years. Might not seem important, until you order a new choke cable...and the length just doesn't add up. Size DOES matter. :wink

Throttle cables I 'think' are also different. /7 I think has two that run up to the throttle tube. Your bikes might very well have a barrel (about the size of a roll of dimes) mounted in a rubber block under the frame tube directly under the tank, then a single cable leading to the throttle tube.

/7 brake calipers are probably ATE, not Brembo.

The tanks and gas caps I believe are completely different. Your bikes probably have a 6 gallon tank first introduced on the R90S with a flush mounted gas cap that has a lock and and little flip up handle.

Your cylinders are nikasil. That's good, I gather but I'm new to this.

Your rear fender is probably plastic and might extended down a bit more. A real PIA removing the rear wheel. The /7 were much easier to remove I think.

The /7 carbs (Bing 40mm) probably have (at least) the choke/enricher cable fastened to the lever on the carb with a 10mm nut, and possibly the throttle cable too. On your bikes, both are probably fitted with a slug at the end of the cable that fits into a slot on the levers. Makes it damned trivial to remove the carbs. The way the carbs fit to the airbox is a bit different too (a couple more parts).

Not 100% sure, but I think /7 master cylinders are under the frame, as opposed to on the handle bars.

/7 exhausts have a single cross tube under the front cover. I think yours (at least the newer bike) probably has a second cross tube just in front of the rear tire.

/7 forks might be different (and might not have dual front disks). /7 bikes, I think mostly had gators whereas the later models have that funny little rubber tube with a felt gasket inside. You can fit gators on most later models for better protection, but its a pain on bikes with fairings.

Oil pan is a bit different too, I believe higher capacity but I could be way off base here. Mine may have been upgrades, but it takes just shy of 3 quarts. I think the /7 bikes take 2.1 quarts or there abouts.

/7 engine is all bare aluminum. Yours are painted black on the top cover and the vertical piece between the front cover (which is vented on the sides, unlike /7) and the block.

Timing marks on the /7 I think had a mark for top dead center 'OT' and when you twist the throttle, you'll see a 'F' mark. On your newer bikes, that 'F' mark is aactually a 'Z' and you probably have a lightened flywheel from the factory. Unless you r aracing, the only thing I can see that a lighten flywheel means is that you can't really dial the carbs into a really low RPM (like 500-600) that some folks do. Yours need to be 900-1200 at idle. The flywheel just isn't heavy enough to keep up the momentum. Snowbum also recommends against low RPMs as it may not deliver enough oil to properly lube things.

/7 valve covers are raw aluminum and peanut shaped (rounded), yours are painted black with bare aluminum ribs and squared off--and they are 'handed'. To check that they are on the correct side, look at the profile and the ribs should be parallel with the engine case. The valve covers ARE actually interchangeable though and use the same gasket.

Your bikes are definitely not /7 bikes.

...probably a few other changes, certainly enough to aggrevate you if you order parts for a /7.

Last edited:
Back