Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Headlight Lens

Cracked Headlight Lens

Was showing off the R1200R today and noticed that I had a three point starburst crack in my headlight lens. Dang! It was OK just last week. Ordered a replacement from my dealer when I got home. Lens is not separate--you got to get the lens/reflector assembly. Anyone else had one crack?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swall View Post
    Anyone else had one crack?
    Over the years, I've had plenty of headlights take a stone -- both cage and bike.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Rally Rat

Exclamation

This is exactly why I installed a headlight assembly protective shield from Cee Bailey on my R1200RT......to replace a cracked headlight assembly is roughly $400!

Cost of Cee Bailey......$80.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    This is exactly why I installed a headlight assembly protective shield from Cee Bailey on my R1200RT......to replace a cracked headlight assembly is roughly $400!

+1.... only I paid $50.00 for my headlight shield .

With the cost of replacing the entire headlight assemlbly, it's well worth the one-time cost.

I wonder if you could use one of those windshield repair kits on your headlight...

Yup. Had it happen on my trip to the RA Rally last year at the Biltmore. Luckily Morton's BMW wasn't too far away, and their exceptional parts department got me one overnight, and delivered it to me at a friends house outside WDC on Sunday.

The R1200R headlight plastic is exceptionally thin. It doesn't seem to take much to crack it.

There are stick on plastic film covers sold for it.. but due to the unusual shape of the lens I'd suggest having an expert install it. I tried twice and finally gave up.

CeeBaily doesn't make a stone guard for it - but I'm willing to bet - if you called them, and offered to send them your old cracked headlight, they'd make one for it, and probably give you the first one free for providing the pattern.

I did manage to snag a plastic-cover for mine, made in Australia.. but I see AeroFlow now lists one for the R12R:

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/BMW_HeadLight_Covers.htm

The cover is about 1/2 the cost of the replacement light assembly..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post

Luckily the R12R headlight assembly is only around $120, and the AeroFlow cover for it - about half that.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I was puzzled by this, as there was no indication of a stone or other projectile impact. I suspect a chemical induced cracking. I cleaned the lens last week with an ammonia window cleaner. Lexan, which I assume the lens is made of, can experience cracking when exposed to ammonia. This is just a hypothesis at this point, and I plan to investigate further.

thtduck

Same but many cracks

I had a crack appear not long after I purchased the bike. Assumed an object hit it. Then many more cracks appeared, a lot of them. No other dings on the front of the bike but my headlight looked like it had taken a beating. Close inspection revealed these were not from impact so my dealer covered it under warranty. Will see how long this one last. Howard

thtduck
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post

I did manage to snag a plastic-cover for mine, made in Australia.. but I see AeroFlow now lists one for the R12R:

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/BMW_HeadLight_Covers.htm

The cover is about 1/2 the cost of the replacement light assembly..
    That's great!

I was looking at today and found two new cracks. There is something fishy here--some sort of residual stress issue in the molding of the plastic. I think I will submit this to my dealer as a warranty issue and see how it goes.

thtduck
    Swall, that's exactly what a lady who was knowledgeable about plastic suggested to me when she looked at my headlight. My dealer replaced mine under warranty. I suspect unless there have been many replaced under warranty and raising a red flag to the manufacturer the replacement will probably crack too.

Mine was warranteed today. As I had already purchased a replacement, my dealer credited my Visa account.

Shield it!

I use the stick on plastic film on my last three BMW's headlights and have no issues. I don't know if it works or not, but nothing has happened to mine, or no rocks,etc have compromised the stuff! It is hard to put on, but patience gets her done. The film comes in different thickness's, so thick is good. Aerostitch used to sell it in two thickness's. Many BMW shops now sell it too. I like it, because it looks so stock, going unnoticed. Other shields look like add ons. Even if the headlight does take a hit, the headlight will not be compromised, as the film is tough and will keep it sealed. Happy Trails, GSA/R100/7...Randy"Polarbear"

First of all, the chances that the headlight lens is polycarbonate ("Lexan") is EXTREMELY high. Polycarbonate, aka "PC" or "polycarb" or the fomer GE Plastics now SABIC owned trademark "Lexan" has an impact strength that is SUBSTANTIALLY above ALL other clear plastic materials. It would be lunacy to use any other plastic in this application.

Second of all, polycarb has superb mechanical and thermal properties but it has an Achille's Heel: chemical resistance. It doesn't get along very well with a wide range of cleaners and solvents. Just Google "polycarbonate chemcial resistance" and you'll find any number of charts on the internet. Ammonia is a NO-NO.

You folks getting "stress cracks" warranteed - any of you care to fess up whether you're using chemical cleaners?
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more