• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gear Envy

Do you suffer from Gear Envy?

• I should be the Gear Envy poster child

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I suffer moderately from Gear Envy

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I suffer infrequently from Gear Envy

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I have never been afflicted with Gear Envy

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I only suffer from Bike Envy

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
R

REBECCAV

IÔÇÖm calling it ÔÇÿgear envy.ÔÇÖ HereÔÇÖs the problem: No matter how cool I think something is when I buy it, or how well researched the purchase is, on how much on sale it is, I ALWAYS meet someone with one that is cooler, or more functional, or was a better bargain.

For example, I just bought a pair a summer riding pants. They work great and I shopped around to get exactly what I wanted. I loved them until I saw someone with a pair that had more vents and thought Maybe I should have bought those. Also, I bought a great tent, at a great price, but now I think that I should have bought one with a bigger vestibule.

I thought that I was the only one afflicted until a friend told me that my camping gear made him jealous. So maybe itÔÇÖs not just me! Is this just the nature of gear purchases? Maybe just specific kinds of gear? Fellow sufferers, do tell.

I usually research quite a bit, and get what makes me happy. Normally it does what I want and I will not lust over others stuff.

However, there are some things I really do like and would love to have. But what they are should be yet another thread.

I'm like lorazepam. I do a lot of research before I purchase and usually end up with exactly what I want. I'm not saying that I have the best stuff all the way around (far from it), but I have a few really good pieces of gear that I'm really happy with and I also have stuff that isn't outstanding but I don't really need anything more and didn't pay that much for it.

So, I rarely have gear envy, because if I cared that much about that particular item, I either already have the one I really want, or am in the middle of researching the one I really want. :)

Be happy with what you have, Grasshopper.

It's cool to have stuff, but don't let the stuff have you.
I have found that moving and/or getting divorced every few years keeps "things" in their proper perspective.

Ever lissen to the song New Toy by Lene Lovich???

For me, it's not so much gear envy as it is a process of always looking for stuff that works better.

Plus, I'm trying to be a good American by keeping the economy fueled.

:thumb

i think i do ok. like the others, i do a lot of research before i buy anything. i usually make up my mind im happy with what it is before i pull the trigger. also, i have grown accustomed to the world of computers and home theater, where todays expensive coolness is tomorrows commodity. so im pretty good at buying something and then ceasing to shop for it, lest i see that it is now cheaper/obselete.

i just try to shop for what i need, when i need it. kinda anti-american, ain't it? ;)

Hey Boxergirrlie what summer pants did you purchase.?
I have a pair of Gericke Mesh Summer pants that i really like .But When I got them it was winter and I was going to put them over other pants (Jeans).
Now they are too large for me with just shorts underneath.
They were the 2003 model and I cant find them anywhere to get a smaller size . :(

I have trouble visiting the BMW dealer without taking a new jacket or something with me .

I am pretty happy with my stuff.As far as biking goes,I love my bike but I would really love a slllurrrrpppp mmmmmm yummm yummm yummmy R1150 RT with the 6 speed.....as long as it is red and doesn't surge...or a nice R100/7.....R90/S.... K1200GT....older R1100....

Now golf:when my game falls apart as it often does,I accessorize.

:D

motofranz said:
Hey Boxergirrlie what summer pants did you purchase.?
After literally 2 months of research involving one trip to Chicago, I settled on the BMW airflow pants and I love them. They are exactly what I want.

Buyers Remorse

Boxergirlie you're suffering from "Buyer's Remorse". Good sales people temper their sales against this by reaffirming the sale. They may even go out of their way to contact you to see how you like your purchase.

When you don't have a professional salesperson to help make a good buying decision,absence of perfect information, and new products entering the market place daily, things happen.

Once you get what you want and it functions the way you want it to you will be happy with your purchase. I am just getting done getting my GS set up the way I want it. Three windscreens, two headlight protectors, two oil guard coolers, remounted the PIAAS, the crash bars had to removed to change the oil, which required pulling the gas tank, they're gone, got new style KRS mirrors, but the new style hand grips won't allow mounting unless you butcher the left mirror for the choke control, sold them, I wanted a flip lever cruise control, but the housings are made out of plastic so I have a Throttlemeister. The seat was replaced by a Day Long saddle. The bike has a complete set of BMW bags, I wanted Jesses, got all four Odesseys in black, decided I would really wanted milleniums in aluminium, so I sold the Odesseys. Got a Dowco cover for a GS, but with a tall Aeroflow screen and a BMW topcase it is too small, so it will go and I will get a bigger cover. Thought about a GPS, but all you have to do to get to Spokane is ride west until you get to the Rockies, or through the Rockies, head north until you get to I-90 or HWY 2 and turn left until you get to Spokane. Uncle Tom will leave the roundel out on the right exit.

I have got a lot of enjoyment out of setting this bike up and I am so happy with the way it functions I probably won't ever let go of it. None of this wouldn't have happened without all the help and advice I have got from BMW riders. That's why I ride BMW's, the community.

JON

Hindsight is always 20/20. However if what you have puts a smile on your face, then it works succesfully.

Kind of like buying anything else, woulda shouda and coulda will kill you, enjoy what you have.

Re: Buyers Remorse

Dark Cloud said:
Boxergirlie you're suffering from "Buyer's Remorse".
No, but I might be too caught up in the maddening pursuit of (what is for me) the Holy Grail of motorcycling: The Perfect Gear.

I'm fine with "gear admiration,"

I might notice someone else has nice stuff, but so far have not felt envy.

When it comes to actually making a purchase for myself, I'm selectively into cheap.

Cheap tent.
Cheap sleeping bag.
Cheap folding chair.

But when it gets to helmets and safety related items, I'm very much into quality -- finding a top quality product at a competitive price.

In reference to the poll, I had to choose "bike envy." If I could afford it, and had room to store them, I'd have one of each, thank you. That is, one each from BMW ... Honda ... Suzuki ... Kawasaki ... et. al.

Rick (I lust for a warehouse full of motorcycles) in AL :brow

I suppose it could be called envy. I see other riders gear, and if I like what I see and it is better than what I have, I may wish to have the same or equivilant. I appreciate good quality gear, but can't always afford to rush out and buy the latest and greatest. I tend to research my purchases carefully, then once I have chosen, I go get it, or start saving my coin so I can get it.

Of course I'm also envious of the riders who show up with the oldest dirtiest well worn stuff thats looks like it has gone half a million miles, because it probably has. That lucky SOB was out there riding and wearing stuff out while I was stuck at work or home. That's real gear envy:cry

shape envy

I see people with those niffty "aero Stich" suits which really look like a good way to go...but alas they don't make them in my size. 3xl with a 44-45 inch waist.
Being mostly broke all the time I don't suffer too much from gear envy I know I can't afford every little thingy that comes out. So I end up getting what will work for me. Last year at Charlston I realized I needed a "stuff bag" for my tent and sleeping bag etc. The BMW trailer was selling neat bags for about $125.00 I almost bought one. Then I went to K-Mart and found a bag that suits my purpose for about $25.

The grass is always greener....but hey dandylions are easier to maintain.

jd, you might look into the Darien series of Aerostich suits. I had an acquaintance up in Tennessee several years back who was shaped ... well, different -- longer arms, shorter legs, wider body, or something like that.

Anyway, the folks at Rider Wearhouse outfitted him just fine in a Darien.

>I'm like lorazepam. I do a lot of research before I purchase and usually end up with exactly what I want.

Me too, Then, the week following, it's discontinued, discounted, and replaced with a newer, faster, better, cheaper model. But usually, I'm still happy with my purchase.

I tend to go "functional" then .. "cheap" What works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I do try to think outside the box just a bit to save a buck or two if possible. So I need a tent... Do I HAVE to have a "motorcycle" tent? Hell no! Just shop around a bit and get a decent tent. Same goes for several other bits of gear.. It doesn't HAVE to be motorcycle specific. Half the time they just add $$$ to the price tag and cater the marketing to the MC crowd. I try to walk the line between "rat biker" and "gear snob"

Walkin' the line and havin' a good time

RW

My tent is from bass pro shops, a 49.00 closeout 3 man jobbie that works great. I have an even cheaper one that I will bring if I have room when camping 2 up. It stores the gear, and sleeping is clutter free. I have a bps boat bag to haul the stuff in, and I hope to get a upack soon. It is hard to beat a 35.00 bag that is waterproof and has really heavy duty straps and hardware, and rings to use straps for anchoring.
I won't camp when it is cold, so I have no need for a heavy duty sleeping bag. I have a fleece one, and a cheaper hollowfill one.
round off the basics with a couple 5.99 collapsable chairs, and I have less than the cost of a kermit chair in my stuff. It doesn't cost a fortune to outfit yourself if you aren't a slave to brand names.

Back