• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chicago area riding

testinglogin

Hogaan!
Ok... I am taking a trip to Chicago in about a week and riding the trusty R80 to get there. Last year I rode through downtown around 10:00am to get to the rally (weather changed my original plans) so the traffic doesn't bother me. However, I'm looking at taking a different route in. I won't quite have time to go all back roads to get there from Toledo, so I will be taking I-80/90 a good part of the way. Previous posts suggested I hop off at Stony Island and run that the short distance to 41. I can deal with that... however, I was thinking about trying to exit BEFORE I get to Illinois... the next possible stop would be E 141st Street (which immediately hits Calumet Ave.). I could take Calumet (which IS 41) up and then follow it until it becomes Lakeshore (after being Indiannapolis, Ewing, Mackinaw, and Bond). Might be a scary area through there, I'm not sure. I should be riding through around noon-ish.

Looking at google maps and the street view/overhead, it doesn't look like the most scenic area (mostly industrial) aside from a golf course right in the middle of it all. Aside from that, is there a big reason to NOT go this way? Will I get bike-jacked? Shot? Beaten? Run down by a semi driver? I'm just thinking it saves me probably a few cents on toll, and avoiding the weird area around IN/IL with all the booths would be nice. I actually found that are more annoying than riding through downtown Chicago itself...

Thanks!

I'm just a country bumpkin from Ar. . After the WestBend MOA National '07 I stopped in at BMW of Chicago. I'm just not used to moving thru neighborhood after neighborhood to get to a dealership. I really believe that if U lived next to that dealership U would be on the road 2 hours to just get out of downtown Chicago. I was in a cargo van and I never felt there was problem, it was just that I felt like a duck outa water. When I leave my house, I'm basically out in the country in 10 minutes. :dunno PS I hate the I80/90 tollway

whatever you do, make sure you lane split and do a bunch of other "illegal" stuff, it's really the only way to drive in the city.

whatever you do, make sure you lane split and do a bunch of other "illegal" stuff, it's really the only way to drive in the city.

You mean I'm not supposed to do that out in the country? Is riding on the sidewalks OK? I've been doing that at well... without a helmet, no less!

You mean I'm not supposed to do that out in the country? Is riding on the sidewalks OK? I've been doing that at well... without a helmet, no less!

good to hear, i'm like "untouchable" in the neighborhood i teach in, riding on sidewalks, wrong way down one way streets, non dot approved sunglasses, the police just look at me and chuckle, "oh, there's derek bringing another one out to the projects for a lesson!" i actually had a cop tell me one time that he would teach where i teach and to quote him, "and i have a gun". i guess i'm just streetwise and "urban" like that, water off a ducks back, ya know..........

I like how not a single member from within 30 miles of Chicago has responded to this post.

Only us hooligans from the Poconos, NYC, Toledo and Arkansas.

Since da windy city is apparently empty Josh, I don't think you'll have a problem riding anywheres :D

Go Bears.

I like how not a single member from within 30 miles of Chicago has responded to this post.

Only us hooligans from the Poconos, NYC, Toledo and Arkansas.

Since da windy city is apparently empty Josh, I don't think you'll have a problem riding anywheres :D

Go Bears.

:ha

I was rather shocked I didn't hear any responses, as well. I'm considering altering my plans. In an attempt to get away from work for as long as possible, I'm considering bailing out right after work the day before the actual trip and back-roading it across Ohio and Indiana, spend the night somewhere in IN, and then take my time riding into Chicago. I'll still have to deal with the turnpike on the way home, though. If I don't get any responses I'll make sure to ride the route I'm questioning and then I can report back as to my experiences - assuming I make it out alive. :p

That may be because no one in their right mind in this area would go "around the corner" either direction and stray from the slab. As this is a family program I say no more.

294 has maybe three booths from the line to Dempster. Gee, you could save what, $2.40? Yes, definitely worth "the risk". Oops, I said I would say no more and then I run my mouth.

I would suggest if you wish to dodge the booths that you come across the line well south of the lake. Well south.

That may be because no one in their right mind in this area would go "around the corner" either direction and stray from the slab. As this is a family program I say no more.

294 has maybe three booths from the line to Dempster. Gee, you could save what, $2.40? Yes, definitely worth "the risk". Oops, I said I would say no more and then I run my mouth.

I would suggest if you wish to dodge the booths that you come across the line well south of the lake. Well south.

Well, I asked the question about safety good/bad, too. I have no idea what that area is like as I'm not from nearby. Thanks for your response.

Coincidentally I'm not trying to save money. Last time I went though there I found the frequent stops and fishing for money annoying. I've been through "horrible areas" like south Detroit and haven't been too worried in the daytime. The sketchiest area I've probably been was in St. Louis; just south of the Gateway Arch where there are a bunch of warehouses. Oh, the things I've seen.

If I still end up on the slab I may just follow the old suggestion of Stony Island through the block or two of "low rent" and on to Lakeshore...

But doesn't anybody like hot dogs with pickles on em and deep dish pizza and the cubbies? I woulda thought...:eat

And guess what else, we steam 'em, we don't grill 'em.
I can see you flinching! :eat :p :doh
Did you make me flinch? I thought that was just gas :D

Josh has Tony Packo's over in Toledo... but now that he has a way to get "around the corner" he may as well try something new!

Btw, I love Chicago... but last Summer Bubba Z and I sat in that darned traffic "corner" so long, it made the BQE look like the Autobahn.

Did you make me flinch? I thought that was just gas :D

Josh has Tony Packo's over in Toledo... but now that he has a way to get "around the corner" he may as well try something new!

Btw, I love Chicago... but last Summer Bubba Z and I sat in that darned traffic "corner" so long, it made the BQE look like the Autobahn.

Mmmmm... Packo's. The only thing to make it better is if you're eating it in front-row seats at a Mudhens game and washing it down with a beer. :D

Attachments

• IMAGE_00090.jpg
    IMAGE_00090.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 42
125534971_ktNC5-L.jpg

Ambrosia!

125534971_ktNC5-L.jpg

Ambrosia!

The only good steamed Dog is one steamed in beer. Otherwise, it's just another horrid culinary travesty foisted upon poor midwesterners who apparently have never had the oppurtunity to enjoy true culinary nirvana. (ooh, how I talk)
:bolt

I always thought Ambrosia had something to do with marshmallows. There is a Hot Dog in there somewhere right?

oh boy.... :laugh

Paging Steve Marquardt to the white courtesy phone, please! (we need to go to Coney Island real soon).

That bun looks pretty good, but why is there green candy under the little pickles? :p

Kinda makes you wonder what bad things happen to peoples taste buds once you get west of the coastal mountains.

Headin up to the Catskills gig that friday. Wouldn't mind stopping in NY for lunch on the way and renewing my faith in all things Hot Dog.

Oh brother.
Those aren't little pickles they are "sporties".
The neon green relish is traditional, including the color.
I usually ask for everything less the monster pickle.
Sometime they give you the option of fresh cucumber slices, which I prefer.
And whole celery seed as opposed to the celery salt (traditional), as you see here.
Poppy seed bun, traditional, also gently steamed.
NO KETCHUP!

But ya know, to each his own.
I'm familiar with Coney Island dogs. Nathan who? And he's what? :stick
I think in Boston they have something called "dirty water dogs" but I have never enjoyed.
Bubba may want to comment on that. Or not.

Like pizza (we beat that thread to death already as we have the dogs) everyone has there preferences and there are plenty of vendors out there willing to accommodate.

:eat

Back