Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Colors in the Catskills

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    I'm sure the Dolomites are nice and after I have seen all that my home has to offer I might come see yours. But please don't run my people down in the mean time.
    I wish they were "mine". I live here.

Run down? I think they're doing it all by themselves with those room rates.

rocketman
    Rant

Wow! What a reaction I'm seeing here from some, oddly enough when I saw this event and the one in Spartanburg in this months ON, my first thought was "kool I should post about these on the forum since I think its a great idea and its just what folks have been asking for and wondering why MOA doesn't do more regional events". Well here are two in keeping with the call for such from the membership and yet what happens??? the very first post in the colors of the "Gillette is going be terrible cause its going to be hot, its too far..etc etc" threads. I don't get it, people ask for stuff such as regional events and then (some) reject it when it comes along! ?????

As for the prices, well since when have sky resort areas been inexpensive???

For me I was excited by this, its a great area for riding been thru it myself, fall colors should be pretty good this year, the event itself is free (and you know what they say about BMW owners) what‘«÷s not to like?
    I would have gone had it not fallen on the same weekend as our clubs local event and the fact I got another cruise coming up soon so don‘«÷t have the extra time to take a few more days off to go.

If this sort of reaction becomes the standard, how long do you think the folks that put these together will bother??

/rant

RM

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I wish they were "mine". I live here.

Run down? I think they're doing it all by themselves with those room rates.
    Ah, he's just biased. To each is own. Leben Sie und lassen Sie Phasen.

Leaf Peepers are a GIANT business up there. They ask and people pay it.

Adirondack_Morning

"Where" doesn't really matter. I thought it might have been where Paul lives since he mentioned the price in his post. Once again, I don't care where that accomodation is...$250...what are they smok'in?
    You do realize that the prices are set by the market, right? The owners know that they can charge that much and that their customers will pay it. While you may not see the appeal of traveling through there (let's ignore the costs of even getting to the dolomites), others clearly want to. As to the costs of running a business there, I won't pretend to know.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    $135 a night if you stay for two nights and that is a queen bed and pull out sofa. So the room sleeps two and divide in half with a friend and now the price is more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    $135 a night if you stay for two nights and that is a queen bed and pull out sofa. So the room sleeps two and divide in half with a friend and now the price is more reasonable.
    Are you talking about the Kaatskill Mountain Club?

http://www.iloveny.com/summer/Inns.a...gion=4&Inn=223

http://www.kaatskillmtnclub.com/
    ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

Post #2 in this thread.

I take it we're still talking about room rates based on the originator's post.

"Where" doesn't really matter. I thought it might have been where Paul lives since he mentioned the price in his post.
    The originator's post references the Colors in the Catskills rally event promoted within the pages of the ON and on this web site. CTrod, who entitled this thread Colors in the Catskills, stated that he "called for a price on a room for the rally and was told the cheapest room was $250 a night." Any reasonable person could clearly deduce that his inference applied to lodging in proximity to this specific Catskills Mountains event.

Paul, (who does live near the Adirondack Mountains) stated that he too called, in reference to rally accommodation, a person mentioned in the Owners News article and "found she was on vacation until Friday". Paul received no quote, but did comment that "$250 didn't sound like a discounted room to him". As with post no. 1, we can clearly deduce that his inference applies to lodging in proximity to this specific Catskills Mountains event. Why would Paul, seeking to attend a rally in Hunter, NY seek lodging nearly 80 miles away from where the rally will be held? That makes no sense to me.

That's my only beef with your comments. Otherwise, yes, I agree that $250 might be a tad steep, but for the Northeast, during Autumn colors? New England has us beat by a mile.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Paul might be trying to set up a media Room for his Band of Photographers ?
    I think its part of an evil plan to divert the publics attention away from the real issues of over priced lodging.....

RM

Paul might be trying to set up a media Room for his Band of Photographers ?

You know the campout we had at Ballston Spa last June? We should do that next year too as an official club event.

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    Ah, he's just biased.
    I guess you and a few others are having trouble keeping up.

I'm comparing operating costs here (lower) and there (much higher), yet accomodations here are far more expensive, whereas there, they're far cheaper.

That never made sense to me. It seems the rates are inversely proportional to operating costs.

If this was anywhere else, all of you would be whining about a $250 room rate. Now who is biased?

Alex, please keep mind most of your arguement I agree with you.
    Stat, I'm not arguing anything. I'm just amazed at the prices some pay for accomodations on this side of the pond.

The people that started arguing were the ones taking it personal...the my back yard is better than your back yard. This wasn't about back yards, but thats all they saw due to tunnel vision. Anyway, it'll be an absolute-zero day in hell before I donate $250 for any room...and that is the discounted rate???

Strange that those same people willing to pay $250 for a room will whine about the price of a BMW oil filter.

Coffee in Iceland

Mmmmm, yes, I'm flying over for some in September. I'm going to buy gas there, too. If there's any money left after that, the Catskills sound wonderful in October. Thanks to the organizers for the opportunity. I'm sure it will be a fabulous event.

Holly

If this was anywhere else, all of you would be whining about a $250 room rate. Now who is biased?
    Who's whining? I meant biased as I could say...
    "Man it sure is hot today". And you'd still reply "Not in the Dolomites".

...and while my prof says Gold Bar, WA - I'm from NY and still own property in Warren County. I know all about the "Economics" of the Catskill/Adirondack Region(s).

In the interior if you aren't working for the County... Well... I'll just leave it at that.
    I'd never pay $250 a room but I won't slight the locals for asking for it.

Well... Unless they're from the Dolomites.

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    I'd never pay $250 a room but I won't slight the locals for asking for it.
    It's not the locals that are asking it. This is a high end Hotel/Spa with international time shares. There are other Hotel Spa's in the area that cater to a very exclusive clientele, rooms as high as $2,500 per night. This is the future for this area.

There are lots of rooms available in town if you want to support the locals.

I've slept in the parking lot too...
    ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

Donate

Come on down you can crash at my pad, you can ruff it there with us.
    I'd bring some real beer if I did, but since Paul's place is closer and on the way...he hasn't offered yet.

I know the area well. My dad lived in Windham (thats right by Hunter) for some 25 years.

Now if this is "Hunter's" low season...I'd hate to see their high season rates. It is a ski resort, you know. Cripes, Cortina d'Ampezzo's winter rates aren't even that high and thats a world class ski center.