Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Final Drive Failures

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    At least people will stop doubting the article's existence. It really does exist..
    Oh yes, the raging debate about the articles existence, after it's been discussed on nearly every forum out there.

Care to show us a few examples?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
    The two most capable helpers/coaches a guy could ask for. Eric and Oscar.... Thanks guys!
    Your very welcome!

I was happy to be able to help out a fellow "inmate"
    Nice pics!!

Oscar

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Oh yes, the raging debate about the articles existence, after it's been discussed on nearly every forum out there.

Care to show us a few examples?
    Go view the thread in JoMomma on ADVrider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370709
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Go view the thread in JoMomma on ADVrider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370709

Folks questioned whether or not MCN was worth reading, and enjoyed some of the pile up we love over on that other forum, not whether the article existed. Geez.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post

Folks questioned whether or not MCN was worth reading, and enjoyed some of the pile up we love over on that other forum, not whether the article existed. Geez.
    Sarcasm translates so well in print.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Sarcasm translates so well in print.
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    +1

I might like to add that this is a golden opportunity for BMW (the company as a whole) to respond. If the company ignores this article, it will have a PR problem festering forever.

One of my friends was scarred off from buying a BMW because of what he had heard about FD's. He voted with his dollars and bought a Honda GW.
    The stonewalling thing by BMW is the most upsetting to me too. I really expect more of this company. The fine engineering's always been the reason I rationalized the high cost of these machines to myself and other potential buyers; now I'm rethinking my adoration. (Do they really wanna become the European version of the AMF Harleys!?)

BTW, had my own FD failure in BFE New Mexico while on vacation in June. Loaded with gear and girl for 10 days of fun, and ~92K on the odometer, so guess I was due. But not a fun day AND the 4th such failure that week at Sandia! BMW really ought to come clean about the scope of the problem.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Smile

According to my dad, who has been in the bearing business for 40 years, it is an issue that has nothing to do with oil, but all with FD assembly and preload of the big bearing.
    The stuff my dad works with boggles the mind, as they use bearings in applications that require these bearings to run at 300 000 RPM..
    Yes, it is different than an FD, but the preload theory remains the same on all bearings and their applications. Preload is critical in the longevity of a bearing within the application.

GL-5 oil is specified by BMW as the correct fluid. So multi viscosity or straight 90W, GL-5 = GL-5. Why else would BMW sell 75-140 multi-vis..??????????

If Fritz in Berlin has a bad Monday AM, you get a bad FD, simple as that. This makes it a manufacturing issue and not a design issue. Just my dad's 0.02 cts...

Quote Originally Posted by riderR1150GSAdv View Post
    According to my dad, who has been in the bearing business for 40 years, it is an issue that has nothing to do with oil, but all with FD assembly and preload of the big bearing.
    The stuff my dad works with boggles the mind, as they use bearings in applications that require these bearings to run at 300 000 RPM..
    Yes, it is different than an FD, but the preload theory remains the same on all bearings and their applications. Preload is critical in the longevity of a bearing within the application.

GL-5 oil is specified by BMW as the correct fluid. So multi viscosity or straight 90W, GL-5 = GL-5. Why else would BMW sell 75-140 multi-vis..??????????

If Fritz in Berlin has a bad Monday AM, you get a bad FD, simple as that. This makes it a manufacturing issue and not a design issue. Just my dad's 0.02 cts...
    IIRC, BMW sells the 75-140 for use in the transmissions, not the final drives.

Final drive failures

With those of you that have experienced previous drive failures, have you purchased BMW bikes thereafter? How expensive is it to have such a failure repaired at a BMW dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by scottgp View Post
    With those of you that have experienced previous drive failures, have you purchased BMW bikes thereafter? How expensive is it to have such a failure repaired at a BMW dealer?
    I may well buy a BMW when I'm done with my GS. Other than the Final Drive failure, it's performed well for my needs and is -drumroll- paid for.

Costs seem to run from $300 to $500 or so for the repair of the Final Drive depending on the shop costs and what bits need to be replaced. The costs can climb a little if the paralever bearings also need to be replaced (they are the pivot point on the swingarm for the final drive). This is a separate issue but while you've got the drive off, it's a perfect time to address those bearings. If you need to replace the entire drive, a new one is, IIRC, around $1000.

Question big bearing

I know that the FD big bearing was changed by BMW a couple off times.
    When I did my FD the bearing that I recieved was the 19 ball type. now I have a question and comment. When I went looking for a cheaper source at a bearing supply house the guy there did not have one in stock. He said that the bearing that failed was for electric motors. The tolerance was much tighter than the normal bearing. Did BMW change this? Is some of the problems related to this tolerance?
    The bearing I got was a differnt part number( from Chicago BMW), I never checked to see if indeed the bearing was also the electric motor type. ( I have no reason to question the bearing it self only the reason for that type of tolerance.)

8,000 miles on the new bearing, But I did have to replace the seal , know the bike had the seal replced before I bought the bike at 41,000 and I replaced twice1 with the bearing and then again after 2,000 miles. (I think it was my fault with installing it, too deep.) This is a 1999 R1100RT

1999 R11RT 56,000 FD, dry slines
    1997 R11RT 202,000 Driveshaft, pralever bearings, swing arm bearing,Hall Sensor. front rotors (2) exhust system, and now no ABS ( I will not spend$$$ to fix it)
    Also has been hit by cars and pickup 5 times total.
    Runs better than the 1999 one.

1984 R65 LS 107,000 miles rebuilt the front Master Cyinder and a coil. Working on carbs now. best bike I ever owned (41 years of ridding)

Quote Originally Posted by brainfish View Post
    I know that the FD big bearing was changed by BMW a couple off times.
    That by itself is admitting there is a problem...why change things if there wasn't.

BTW: I had a 1980 R65. Master cyclinder failed in its 23rd year (replaced) and the ignition coil bracket cracked off (welded back on and added reinforcing tabs).

rocketman
    I keep getting this impression that (some) folks are basically saying (and seem quite convinced) that the only time and/or motivation for a part or process being improved upon is when that part/process is failing? Then I guess there was no reason for ever dropping the /2 to go to /5 etc and on up the line? You could hardy call those "failures", they simply became out dated. Why? Because there were improvements made in motorcycle technology.

On the other hand one could as easily say that admitting there is a problem is the first step in taking corrective measures, such as changing the bearing, and again if need be. You can't take corrective action for an unknown.

There is way too much "anecdotal" information floating around to know what the real figures are.

I guess its up to the individual to decide which view he/she should to take.

RM

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    That by itself is admitting there is a problem...why change things if there wasn't.
    Maybe the supplier had an issue at their factory and BMW had to go to a different supplier. Or maybe they got a better price. Maybe the problem had nothing to do with the integrity of the bearing.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")