Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Final Drive Failures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Final Drive Failures

I've read A LOT about FD failures on R 1150's. I plan to add another bike to my F650 for longer distance & two up riding. It seems some owners are frustrated with BMW for being in denial about a problem with the final drive failures. I read a high proportionate number of FD failures on the Iron Butt ride were on newer R models.
    My question is, am I better off buying a "K" bike or another model/year boxer to avoid this problem? It sounds like FD repair costs at least 2K.

Thank You, KT

bmwmick
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    I've read A LOT about FD failures on R 1150's. I plan to add another bike to my F650 for longer distance & two up riding. It seems some owners are frustrated with BMW for being in denial about a problem with the final drive failures. I read a high proportionate number of FD failures on the Iron Butt ride were on newer R models.
    My question is, am I better off buying a "K" bike or another model/year boxer to avoid this problem? It sounds like FD repair costs at least 2K.

Thank You, KT
    bmw has used the same basic design since 1980 for that final drive. The new (since 2005?) have a redesigned final drive.
    I did just learn that the final drive deep groove ball bearing has come down in price from $129'ish to $61. Hmmmmmmm :/

check your numbers

I had an FD failure on my '02 R1150R. Parts and labor were $300.
    I understand that same repair could cost as much as $500 depending on your location.

$2,000 for an FD repair tells me that there was other damage besides the bearing.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

ArthurKnowles
    My understanding on the FD failure issue is that it is about a 4% faiulure rate overall among all years. That's not a high failure fate in my opinion. What I'd like to see is the failure rate by specific year/model and then maybe we could make a bit more sense about it.

As for FD failures among model lines, take your choice. If it uses a shaft drive then the same basic FD issues remain. If you don't want to worry about a FD issue look at a belt or chainn drive. They have their own set of problems though and personally, I will never own another motorcycle without a shaft drive. My last two Honda & Yamaha both had shaft drives as well. No more chains for me.

bmwmick
    Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    I understand that same repair could cost as much as $500 depending on your location.

$2,000 for an FD repair tells me that there was other damage besides the bearing.

Why should I check my numbers? Check the price yourself.
    http://www.webparts.com/diagram.php?...62&hg=33&fg=10

Quote Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post
    Hey Mick, I don't think Ultacyclist is disagreeing with you, but with the OP, who said that a FD failure could cost $2k to repair.

When my '02 R1150RS had the bearing failure, the entire service cost me $480, which also included a new tire and a new set of rear brake pads, which were both oil soaked.

When I got home from the trip I was on, I found that Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA, who did the work immediately upon my arrival at their shop, had sent me a $90 check from BMW for goodwill, even though my bike was well out of the warranty period.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

bmwmick
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Hey Mick, I don't think Ultacyclist is disagreeing with you, but with the OP, who said that a FD failure could cost $2k to repair. .
    Hi Darryl,
    You may be correct.
    That is one of the reasons I like quoting just enough to plainly identify the target of your post. :/
    How ya been?
    Mick

Jfixit
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post
    My guess is the final drive costs and the spline failure on the transmission shaft has been crossed.

My bike ate it's final drive bearing. Not including the paralever bearings, the price was a bit under $500, if I did my math correctly. I let them do all the work. Am I happy? No. Has it changed how I feel about my bike? Sorta. I trust it more now.

Donster
    Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post

If you're a paranoid anal retentive with a 2004 R1150R (like me, for example), with no problems at 11,500 miles but a fear of what may come, would it be rational to take the bike in and have it fixed in advance? Is the $500 repair more or less guaranteed to fix the problem and free me to worry about other things?

Where is it said that the MOA is a social organization and not an advocacy group? Perhaps they should make it clear when they accept membership money. Individually, we can't get face time with BMW. However, I would bet the MOA could if they just tried.

I agree, BMW probably knows exactly what the failure rate is on FD's and splines. If it isn't a problem, then they should come out and say so with the numbers. However, if there is a problem, then they should support the people who purchase their expensive, supposedly reliable, motorcycles.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150RT and 2018 Triumph Tiger 800xrx

Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    Where is it said that the MOA is a social organization and not an advocacy group?
    Top link on the left of the site, "About the BMW MOA":
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/about/about.htm
    The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America was formed in April of 1972 as an all volunteer organization. According to the Articles of Incorporation the BMW MOA was formed for the purpose to operate and maintain a national BMW motorcycle owners club. The goal of the club is to promote the camaraderie and friendship of individual members and BMW motorcycle clubs.

Using this original document as a template the officers and staff of the 'MOA are dedicated to making the experience of owning a BMW Motorcycle more enjoyable by providing a high quality magazine, hosting an annual rally and promoting the bonds that motorcyclists share. The 'MOA also supports direct member to member communication through our forum and the 'MOA Anonymous book. Our mission is to foster communication and a sense of family among BMW motorcycle enthusiasts.

Final drive discussions are a great way to tell who has knowledge and who has hearsay.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Final drive discussions are a great way to tell who has knowledge and who has hearsay.

Very true.

Can some of us fit right in between?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post

So enlighten us with the true knowledge. I'll be interested to read the MCN article.
    Last edited by GSfornow; 08-10-2008 at 12:42 AM.