Thread: RPM and Gearing ?

grumpyone

RPM and Gearing ?

The question I have is the rpm and gearing. Since we have a 96 r1100r after having a r 80 the gearing is a bit TALL on this bike or is it me.?
    The area we live in is a lot of curves in the mountains which are 50mph @ and you dont really get to open the 1100 up to 5 th gear and breath a lot.
    With the airhead you can just mosey if you like up the road and it will go down to 3000 and take right off again with a little twist of the throttle in 5th.
    With the 1100 if you go below 3500 your done. In 5th you have to be going 60 or 65 to hit 3500 and smooth it out you really need 4000. Is it norman to have to wind these girls up that much? I know all bmws like to be wound up to run happy but is this one a bit more prone to REQUIRING it than others??
    Guess I was just curious if running in 3 rd and 4 th all the way home for 30 mi was ok?
    Thanks for the opinions.
    Jim and Esther

Rally Rat
    You can run in whatever gear you want all day, as long as it's matching engine speed to road speed appropriately. The transmission will not self destruct or wear out sooner if it's not in top gear all the time. The engine just wants to be in it's power range, not over-revving or lugging.
    Don't compare the two bikes as if riding one should set determine how you ride the other. You engines power RPM range and power bands are as different as the turn signal switches. Just ride each one in the way it performs best for you and enjoy it.

Bob

grumpyone

thanks

I didnt think it would self destruct. Just wondered if it was normal to be so much higher reving as to the other bmws we have rode. Thats what we like about the bmws is the variety , airhead to K bikes and in between. All are different and rode different. Just didnt think this twin would rap so tight .
    Off to enjoy it. And its surge
    Thanks
    Jim and Esther

remember, red line on the oilheads is a good 1K above that of airheads- and they are quite happy living up there. if i'm riding mountains, i'm likely to be somewhere north of 4000 rpm, and if it's a "spirited" pace, then likely is 5K+.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyone View Post
    I didnt think it would self destruct. Just wondered if it was normal to be so much higher reving as to the other bmws we have rode. Thats what we like about the bmws is the variety , airhead to K bikes and in between. All are different and rode different. Just didnt think this twin would rap so tight .
    Off to enjoy it. And its surge
    Thanks
    Jim and Esther
    5-6K, IMO, is not winding these bikes up too bad. i commuted for 2 years, 80 miles a day on roads like you describe and i always had the bike in 3rd or 4th depending on my mood (this was a 6 speed) but right around 5K the bike doesn't vibe too much, doesn't get horrible mpgs and is pretty happy. but you're right, keep it above 3.5K