Thread: Wiring diagrams for R1100R

Question Wiring diagrams for R1100R

Since it is raining cats and dogs here in Chicago, I thought I would spend some quality time with the new missus ('01 R1100R). Bought it 4 weeks ago, drove it up from Birmingham, AL, and have not had time to really get into it (too busy riding ).

So I open up the Clymer manual and start looking at the wiring system, relays, and fuses. Since I want to add a few lights, Kisan signal minder (poor ergonomic movement for the signal canceling button), heated grips, electric espresso machine, etc..., this seems as good a time as any to start planning for winter projects. As I am looking at the open fuse box I notice that all the fuses seem to be the same size and color, yet the wiring diagram shows two of them being larger (30A vs 15A). As I start removing the fuses, every one is the same size (15A). Then I start looking at the wire colors and placement on the fuse block and notice the wiring colors do not match up to those in the book.

Granted, I only looked at where the wires appear to be landed on the underside of the fuse block, and have no inclination to start messing with this system late on a Sunday afternoon(especially when I might be riding tomorrow), but it appears to be different from the manual. Since I have worked on older cars using shop manuals before, I know that there are discrepancies between the manual and the field wiring. However, before going any further with my investigation, I thought I would send this out to the crowd to determine if this is A. Normal for the Clymer manual and B. To be expected from BMW motorcycles because of build dates perhaps?

Any help would be appreciated, and if there are other items I should be aware of (venomous snake under gas tank, for example) please let me know.

bmwmick
    Clymer and Haynes are just poor replacements for the factory manuals and wiring diagrams.

Rally Rat
    this is an RT fusebox diagram that someone here posted that might help you a bit
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Thanks Enjine and Mick; that diagram does help. When I bought the bike the previous owner did not have Service Manual (I do have the Owner's Manual). It costs $30.00 from BMW; any thoughts on if it is worth it?

bmwmick
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus214 View Post
    Thanks Enjine and Mick; that diagram does help. When I bought the bike the previous owner did not have Service Manual (I do have the Owner's Manual). It costs $30.00 from BMW; any thoughts on if it is worth it?
    I sent you a PM.

The wiring diagrams on CD are very nice to have.

06 73 7 703 031
    SLP 2
    electrical diagrams
    1993-2006 All bikes
    $ 59.00

Gentleman and a Scholar

BMWMICK,

Extremely comprehensive, thank you very much. If I could figure out how to send a beverage of your choice through the wires I would.

Great forum, thanks again.