Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Final Drive Failures

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Not excusing the failed bearing, but I highly criticize the riders choice to continue riding after experiencing wobbliness and ABS failure warning. In the least, the failing bearing was turned into a much worse failure of brakes, drive housing, and other internals of the drive. And most important, he took a great chance with his well being. I know of a rider who felt something and turned around to head home. After his wheel fell off (loose lug bolts), he is lucky to be alive due mostly to his ATGATT rule for riding.
    They are making BMW parts for us right now...but we only get one set of body parts (I know...mostly one set).
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Tell that to the group of people that are having them.

mathew_hennessy
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Not excusing the failed bearing, but I highly criticize the riders choice to continue riding after experiencing wobbliness and ABS failure warning. In the least, the failing bearing was turned into a much worse failure of brakes, drive housing, and other internals of the drive. And most important, he took a great chance with his well being. I know of a rider who felt something and turned around to head home. After his wheel fell off (loose lug bolts), he is lucky to be alive due mostly to his ATGATT rule for riding.
    They are making BMW parts for us right now...but we only get one set of body parts (I know...mostly one set).
    Well.. Stuck 250-300mi from the closest shop that can work on the bike, no cellphone reception anywhere off the interstate... Probably shoulda gotten a U-Haul as soon as the trouble started I suppose, but I guess that's why they call it a learning experience :/

(Doesn't help that I was due for work as soon as I got back, decisions made in haste can be pretty costly as I'm sure most folks know )

Quote Originally Posted by mathew_hennessy View Post
    Well.. Stuck 250-300mi from the closest shop that can work on the bike, no cellphone reception anywhere off the interstate... Probably shoulda gotten a U-Haul as soon as the trouble started I suppose, but I guess that's why they call it a learning experience :/

(Doesn't help that I was due for work as soon as I got back, decisions made in haste can be pretty costly as I'm sure most folks know )

My thoughts pretty much echo'd cjack when I read his post; here, I think, is a great opportunity to learn from the mistakes of others. For those who experience F-D failures in the future: GET THE U-HAUL!
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post

I just visited the DR that put in my new right shoulder 6 months ago. He said it was a "lifetime" repair!

Of course, he didn't say how long I was going to live.

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    I just visited the DR that put in my new right shoulder 6 months ago. He said it was a "lifetime" repair!

Of course, he didn't say how long I was going to live.
    I bet you will live till you die. Also it will feel better when it quits hurtin'.

Ralph Sims