• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stalling K1100

N

NWKRider

'95 k1100lt stalls at low idle SOMETIMES. Only restarts with full thottle. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Had injectors serviced.

Have you checked your battery? :dunno

I had this problem with my K100RT. It felt like it was running out of gas when it was indeed the battery.

I don't think the battery was even getting enough juice to run the computer.

I replaced the battery which was 5 years old and have not had the problem since - that was 2 months ago.

gsmetal Thanks for replay Newer Battery Bike dies instantly Before I found that it would start with full thottle you could crank it forever with out starting

KCamper said:
gsmetal Thanks for replay Newer Battery Bike dies instantly Before I found that it would start with full thottle you could crank it forever with out starting

K,
Has your fuel mileage gone down drastically too? It sounds like it is running VERY rich. The coolant temp sensor and the air temp sensor could be defective causing the Moronic to think the engine is always cold and calling for more fuel.
Frank Warner has a good write-up on the sensors here: http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/mc_things/K_fuel_injection.html

Mick

mick no loss of fuel mileage. only other symptom is somrtimes it won't run under 1500 or so rpm till i hit the open road. Thanks for
Warner link. good info. K

Started having that problem recently. Have you checked for bad gas. Drained the tank, refilled and added Techron. Seems to have worked.

Very likely the fuel filter. For some reason, when they need replacement they normally act out all of a sudden.

Does the bike do this while the engine is cold or all the time when idling? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but last summer after having the bike serviced my bike would cut off only at the first stop sign about a mile from my house. Turned out they had tuned the bike so the idle speed was too low, causing the problem.
Just a guess.

Back