• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stable tires for the RT

KARSTEN

Just recently added a 1988 R100RT to the stable.Having heck of a time to figure out a handling problem:at high speeds(70Mphand above)the bike drifts(wanders,hunting etc.)sideways without any warning.checked the usual culprits,swingarm and steering bearings,tire pressure etc.,forks feel soft, changed fluid,still soft,mismatched tires, front is a michilin macadam, rear is a dunlop.Am ready to put new shoes on the bike.any suggestions?
looking for stability reather than a sports tire.
thanks in advance,
Karsten

Karsten,
You should be OK with these:
Michelin
Macadam 50E
Front 90/90-18 51 H TL/TT
Mac50
Rear 120/90-18 65 H TL/TT

I really liked these tires on my R100RS AND on my K1100LT.

HTH,
Mick

I have the Dunlop K491's on my 1988 RS and I am exceptionally happy with them. As good (and more) handling as I ever need, good wear so far, very stable. I used to have K591's (a bit more sport oriented than the 491's), but was not happy with the wear (and they no longer make them). My slow-poke rear end has not noticed any performance decline moving from the 591 to 491.

I know you said you've checked all of the usual suspects, but it sounds like your steering head bearings are too tight.

Yup, sounds like steering head bearings to me too.
Pat

Hello,

Go for the Michelin Macadam's. They truly are good tires. They track well and provide good feedback. I ran Metzlers (sic) for years and was not able to find the right tire pressure for them or their handling was "off". I even thought about changing the suspension on the bike because of this. And by all means stay with the stock recommendations.

Good luck.

PS: I bought the Michelin's on a whim as they were quite cheaper. Go figure. Do not judge a tire by it's price.

Dealer rec.: 37 psi front and 38 psi rear for solo riding.

Back